View Single Post
Old
  (#12)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-09-2013, 08:12 PM

I like your steady rest. I did cue repairs for about 10 years on the side, first on a metal lathe, then a hightower. When I switched to using a utility knife blade for trimming tips, I thought it was much better than my previous process.

If you want to try a utility knife blade, you can probably use your existing steady rest as is. You might be able to dig the point of the blade into the pvc tube, and use that as a pivot. Thats what I used to do... only I'd dig the point of the blade into the soft steel shank of my brazed carbide tool bit. That allowed me to have a lot of control over the blade when I used it to shear the sides of the tip to diameter. You can also make a flat surface for the blade to rest on so that you can trim the front of the tip to shape.

Below is a picture I had made a few years ago how I pivot the blade by digging it into the soft steel. Maybe it will give you an idea for your setup.

Good work for a DIY project.

Name:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  94.2 KB