View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooljd View Post
Just moved to the NYC area and have been looking out for fun pool leagues. There's so many of them here, so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I come from an area where everyone played in the local (albeit huge) APA operation.

As far as I've seen theres:
  • Tony Robles' NAPL
  • In house leagues at Amsterdam billiards & Society
  • APA in various bars
  • Others such as MAPL!

I prefer to play in an actual pool hall with 9 foot tables, so APA here seems to be out of the question. Any opinion on the others? I did enquire at ABC, but would like to hear AZers opinions too.

I used to be a good SL6 in APA. I'd like to start with team 8 ball and would eventually be open to playing 9 & 14.1. Preferably would like to limit to one parent league (to minimize on membership fees, etc.). Do any of these leagues come with discounted table time? That'd be a bonus!
I can't compare it to Amsterdam, but I did go to Society Billiards on a recent trip to NYC and I really liked it. Pristine Diamond tables reasonably well spaced out, staff were nice, on site cue mechanic and shortstop (John) does good work and is a good guy.

Based on the above, it sounds like you've got at least two good options.

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week