NYC (manhattan) pool league recommendations please

pooljd

Registered
Just moved to the NYC area and have been looking out for fun pool leagues. There's so many of them here, so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I come from an area where everyone played in the local (albeit huge) APA operation.

As far as I've seen theres:
  • Tony Robles' NAPL
  • In house leagues at Amsterdam billiards & Society
  • APA in various bars
  • Others such as MAPL!

I prefer to play in an actual pool hall with 9 foot tables, so APA here seems to be out of the question. Any opinion on the others? I did enquire at ABC, but would like to hear AZers opinions too.

I used to be a good SL6 in APA. I'd like to start with team 8 ball and would eventually be open to playing 9 & 14.1. Preferably would like to limit to one parent league (to minimize on membership fees, etc.). Do any of these leagues come with discounted table time? That'd be a bonus!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Amsterdam's Team 8-ball is a league geared towards beginners and intermediates. I believe this seasons cut off is C+ or less. In my opinion 90% of the players would be D or less. I'm a SL4/SL5 in APA, and ranked as 7 in this league. The handicap runs on scale of 2-10. An APA SL 2 is substantially stronger than an 2 in this league. 10 being a C or C+.

Don't let the name scare you off, you play both 8-ball and 9-ball. The handicap system is by balls. So, as a 7 if I play a 3, I give up the orange crush (5 and break).

Team 9-ball caters to the intermediate to advanced players. This league is both ACS and BCA sanctioned, and quite a few go to Las Vegas for the nationals. Mika, Tony Robles, Jennifer Barretta play in this league on a regular basis. You'll find some very competitive mindsets in this league. Rumour has it one of the team captains dropped Mika because he missed too many matches and replaced him with Earl.

14.1 (all levels)
Ever since Charlie Williams revived the 14.1 World Championships, you'll find noticeable number of players from this league participating. Danny Barouty used to run this league.

Individual 9-ball
A great league that over laps both team 8 an team 9 in skill level.

At Amsterdam, its half table time after your match. Free league practice Fridays and Saturdays, discounts on drinks and powerplays.

The new season at Amsterdam starts January 20th, so don't wait too long before deciding to register. $25K in prize money between the 8-ball, 9-ball, and 14.1 league.

Society is exclusively Diamond tables. Society schedule their Team 8-ball, Team 9-ball and 14.1 leagues on different nights from Amsterdam. So, you don't feel torn having to choose. I don't have any experience playing in their league, so many others can chime in and share their experience. I was told you can keep your table for as long as you like after the end of your league match.

NAPL league.
As disclosure, I count Tony as one of my friends. Tony's Predator tournaments and NAPL league have developed a loyal cult like following. His league may also pay back more than the others. Society & Amsterdam in Manhattan are host locations for his league.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just moved to the NYC area and have been looking out for fun pool leagues. There's so many of them here, so I thought I'd ask here for opinions. I come from an area where everyone played in the local (albeit huge) APA operation.

As far as I've seen theres:
  • Tony Robles' NAPL
  • In house leagues at Amsterdam billiards & Society
  • APA in various bars
  • Others such as MAPL!

I prefer to play in an actual pool hall with 9 foot tables, so APA here seems to be out of the question. Any opinion on the others? I did enquire at ABC, but would like to hear AZers opinions too.

I used to be a good SL6 in APA. I'd like to start with team 8 ball and would eventually be open to playing 9 & 14.1. Preferably would like to limit to one parent league (to minimize on membership fees, etc.). Do any of these leagues come with discounted table time? That'd be a bonus!

I can't compare it to Amsterdam, but I did go to Society Billiards on a recent trip to NYC and I really liked it. Pristine Diamond tables reasonably well spaced out, staff were nice, on site cue mechanic and shortstop (John) does good work and is a good guy.

Based on the above, it sounds like you've got at least two good options.

pooljd

Registered
Thanks for the info guys! @ctyhntr thank you for all the info I asked for and more, will probably start with the ABC team 8 and see how it goes.