Kid's Team Playing in Adult Tournaments

camaro69926

Registered
I run our local Junior League in our area. From that I have put a team together to play in adult tournaments. We have entered them in 3 Iowa State tournaments and 1 Midwest tournament. In those tournaments they have finished 9th, 5th, 3rd and 1st. The 1st place finish came in the ACS open division. When they placed 9th they were moved up from an open team to an advance team in the middle of the tournament. The 5th place finish was in the Midwest MPA tournament and they were an advance team for the whole tournament. Just last weekend this team played in ISPA State Tournament in the intermediate level and finished 3rd. All of these tournaments they have played adults with about 100 teams in each tournament.

The team, from the Quad Cities (Iowa and Illinois), is made up of 5 young men, Timmy - age 20, AJ - age 19 (almost 20), Kamron - age 15, Justin - age 13, and Sam - age 12. These kids are so much fun to watch, we have created a Facebook team page for these kids. If anyone is interested in following them here is the link to their team page:

https://www.facebook.com/yougotaction/

We will Facebook live their matches and post things the kids are up too. Since a lot of these tournaments we have to travel they do a lot of fundraising and we will post it on their team page. It gets expensive for food, tournament fees, hotel rooms, did I mention food and usually plus 1 parent to keep the young ones inline. Plus they are kids so they are usually doing something goofy that we will put on their page.

The kids qualified for ACS Nationals in Las Vegas in May that is their next big tournament. Hopefully we will see some of you guys there and these kids will win you over :) So far the kids have been playing late on Sunday and have not been eligible to play in Junior Tournaments to qualify for BEF, but it is all good so far I couldn't afford to pay for another trip to Vegas.

Thank you for your time reading and if you follow these kids on facebook and see that there are still up and coming young players.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both finalists at the Womens Open at SBE were junior players, I think both were 18 or under.

camaro69926

Registered
Junior players are so much fun to watch. They shoot with all the confidence in the world. I wish would could have made it out to SBE.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
camaro69926...A lot of adults have said what? Not quite sure what your comment is supposed to mean? Every single person in any tournament will eventually end up on the 1-loss side...except the eventual winner. LOL

I'm not implying that the YOUGOTACTION team members need any help. However, if I were any skill level player, and I got a FREE chance to have a professional instructor take a look at me, I'd be silly not to take advantage of it! I merely stated that two top instructors will be giving free lessons all week at the ACS Nationals...just like we do at the BCAPL Nationals at the Rio (this will be our 13th straight appearance at the BCAPL event).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott Lee a lot of adults have said that and then end up on the one loss side:grin:

camaro69926

Registered
i thought you meant you were playing in the tournament and just doing some friendly trash talking. Me and the boys will stop by and say hello. One of the boys is taking lessons now

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im all for the kids playing in some adult competitions ,but not taverns . The problem comes when these ( kids) are introduced to and encouraged to gamble.The game eventually leads to getting the cash not the game.How many tournaments today do you see the players chopping the money. Instead of lessons and fundamentals they learn how to match up. Gambling is fine i just think not for jr. players. Amateur players should be playing for the game like other sports you cant take money and compete in that sport. Let them learn how to kick bank like Europe and Asia.Learn the game .

camaro69926

Registered
I agree Rico, but a lot of good players wont even come to the table unless there is money riding on the game. It is hard to find a good player to play these kids for fun and teach them more while they are at the table. These kids play (2) nights in adult leagues and play in our pool halls weekly tournaments (3 a week). I only allow my son the 12 year old to play in (1) weekly tournament. And saturday morning he plays in the junior league which becomes the teacher for his team. So he plays competitive 4 nights every week, but doesnt get those long one on one matches.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best teachers around is from the Quad Cities .I know he,s coming back this summer .Maybe you could work somthing out .Plus you had a offer from a instructor on here for at the nationals .You dont have to gamble to get great at pool.The gamblers all try to get the nuts to play. Ask them to play whoever you bring to town for the cash. Even Jesse will want weight.Im talking about learning how to play not matching up.All those great gamblers need stakehorses why?