Value of JossWest with Sideways JW (68 -72)

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JV is absolutely correct about the shaft sizes and ultimate cue value.

There are going to be players that like thin shafts. That’s okay I suppose.

Then there’s the remainder of the cue buying world and it’s just not so.

12.5 is pushing it with maple shafts because of the taper’s flexibility.

Revo is offering it and other CF manufacturers too but it is not wood.

The market responds to 12.75 to 13mm shafts so much better than smaller.

Shafts from a 3rd party render the cue more playable but add nothing to its value.

So pay close attention to experts like JV or else accept the monetary risks you’d incur.

Matt B.

I agree if carbon fiber shafts came in larger diameters. They would sell twice as many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This "authorized" maker is a scam. Either you get shafts made by the maker or you are buying replacement shafts, not NOS.

You seem to be talking about something different. In the case of Scruggs, certain people are authorized to reapply his logo to cues made by him. I think the question was whether anyone is authorized for that by Stroud. Any shaft which is made by another maker should be listed as such.

It is getting tougher and tougher to find full shafts made by those who no longer make cues. I would consider 12.4 still playable on a 40 year old cue. Once it gets to 12mm or less my interest is pretty much gone.

By the sound of this cue, I would think 1,500+. Ivory joint and veneers make up for the fact that it doesn't have inlays.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.4mm shafts are not shafts. They are joint cap blanks.

Since BS is not in the cue business any replacement shaft will be non-original.

IMHO you are getting a butt with no shafts. 800-1000

JV

Do you see many 40 and 50 year old shafts that are still 'straight'? Or doesnt that matter to collectors. I
wanted to play with mine so i had new shafts made for my '72 by a different cuemaker who did use original linen phenolic for the rings. I. Like to think its more valuable than 1200.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would the logo need to be re-produced? I don't think op said butt-cap was broken.

It was just a passing thought. Such a person would likely be the person to go to for replacement shafts as well as they may have the original specs for taper etc.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is another scam, logoing a unmarked cue for instant profit.

Re-mark. As in for replacement of a butt cap. Not marking an unmarked cue.

That's not a scam. It's a legitimate repair from someone authorized to use a trademark. A maker would only authorize someone he trusted with his mark. That means something.

If a maker is authorized they may also have the original shaft taper info.

Not original, but better than some random maker's idea of what the shaft should be as far as maintaining the cue to as close to original as possible.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is another scam, logoing a unmarked cue for instant profit.

I feel like we aren't even talking to each other. If I send Frey a Scruggs cue which needs a new butt cap, he will replace the butt cap and add Scruggs logo. He won't add the logo to a cue which was unmarked in the first place.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
You would be surprised, there are quite a few. What is more surprising is the wide range of opinions of shaft straightness and expectations. You would be shocked at how many people want "laser" straight shafts, original , to a 50 year old cue. They have no idea about what an acceptable tolerance should be. I mean getting straight Szamboti shafts, possible and probable. Getting dead straight Palmer or Paradise shafts to a cue, lucky AF.

JV

Do you see many 40 and 50 year old shafts that are still 'straight'? Or doesnt that matter to collectors. I
wanted to play with mine so i had new shafts made for my '72 by a different cuemaker who did use original linen phenolic for the rings. I. Like to think its more valuable than 1200.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would be surprised, there are quite a few. What is more surprising is the wide range of opinions of shaft straightness and expectations. You would be shocked at how many people want "laser" straight shafts, original , to a 50 year old cue. They have no idea about what an acceptable tolerance should be. I mean getting straight Szamboti shafts, possible and probable. Getting dead straight Palmer or Paradise shafts to a cue, lucky AF.

JV
IMO unless you just buy to hold onto shafts are an expendable item. I wouldn't expect too many 40+ yr. old cues to have really nice original shafts. These things were meant to be used,not abused, but played with and enjoyed not just put away to look at.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-mark. As in for replacement of a butt cap. Not marking an unmarked cue.

That's not a scam. It's a legitimate repair from someone authorized to use a trademark. A maker would only authorize someone he trusted with his mark. That means something.

If a maker is authorized they may also have the original shaft taper info.

Not original, but better than some random maker's idea of what the shaft should be as far as maintaining the cue to as close to original as possible.

At the most a letter from an "authorized" maker should suffice for the replaced butt cap. Just how long do you think it will be before the repair is not disclosed and sold as original. Putting a dead cue maker's logo on any cue, for whatever reason, is a scam.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have four shafts for my 1985 Schon that Bob built and all of them are straight.
3 of the 4 are new unused original shafts and if it was lighter, I’d be still using it.
But at 20.5 ounces, versus mid-18’s of my other cues, it doesn’t get played any more.
I hope the shafts of my other cues remain as the straight as my Runde Schon cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the most a letter from an "authorized" maker should suffice for the replaced butt cap. Just how long do you think it will be before the repair is not disclosed and sold as original. Putting a dead cue maker's logo on any cue, for whatever reason, is a scam.

Bill Stroud isn't dead.

Properly repairing or restoring a cue by itself isn't a scam.

If it's a former partner or associate, that person may have made those parts originally anyway.

It certainly can be used in a scam or contribute to a scam.

Anyway, the whole matter was only mentioned to find out if someone is able to reproduce Stroud's shaft in case the shafts need replaced or someone wanted to replace them for whatever reason. The notion occurred to me that if someone was authorized to reproduce his logo, they might have his shaft profile too.

I was once told that there is in fact someone with a blanket authorization from Stroud to reproduce his marks for cue repairs. I have asked this question 2 or 3 times here in these forums and nobody has responded so I guess either nobody else heard of it or it isn't true.
It also could be that any people that know would keep it under their hat because of potential controversy as exampled by your response to the mere question.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill Stroud isn't dead.

Properly repairing or restoring a cue by itself isn't a scam.

If it's a former partner or associate, that person may have made those parts originally anyway.

It certainly can be used in a scam or contribute to a scam.

Anyway, the whole matter was only mentioned to find out if someone is able to reproduce Stroud's shaft in case the shafts need replaced or someone wanted to replace them for whatever reason. The notion occurred to me that if someone was authorized to reproduce his logo, they might have his shaft profile too.

I was once told that there is in fact someone with a blanket authorization from Stroud to reproduce his marks for cue repairs. I have asked this question 2 or 3 times here in these forums and nobody has responded so I guess either nobody else heard of it or it isn't true.
It also could be that any people that know would keep it under their hat because of potential controversy as exampled by your response to the mere question.

Didn't say Stroud (Scruggs and Frye repairs were mentioned) was dead but he hasn't authorized anyone to apply his logo in repair either, afaik. He posts here, would like to hear his thoughts.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't say Stroud (Scruggs and Frye repairs were mentioned) was dead but he hasn't authorized anyone to apply his logo in repair either, afaik. He posts here, would like to hear his thoughts.

My posted response was specific to Stroud's mark and cues, had nothing to do with any other makers, still does not.

Yes, I know he posts here.

I have posted the question before. He has never chosen to comment.