House Party Tournament Format question

R

rade0041

I just got a pool table in my house. I am having a party this weekend (25+ people). I would like to have a little tournament and I am trying to figure out how to organize it. I think I will be able to get at least 15 people involved. I'm sure that everyone will want to play 8-ball and we are all very amateur.

I was thinking of doing a double elimination bracket where you have to win 2 of 3 to advance.

I want to make sure that this doesn't last more than 3 hours. Can anyone give me an idea of how long you think it might take to finish a tournament in this format. ... If you have a better idea for a format I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
BR

jjinfla

Banned
With only one table it would take you over 6 hours, especially if the players are not that good. You would be better off playing partners, maybe scotch doubles, switching after each game. Jake

Keith Legros

Registered
Tournament would also work better with 16 vs 15........no bye's that way.........things will work out evenly.

If I had to do a tournament with 16 players Double elimniation and had to complete it in three hours with amateur players.

I would have a race to one both sides or as jjinfla said "partner" up you players and have 8 "teams" instead of 16 players.

I have ran a tournament with "business" people..........16 teams of "Scotch Doubles" race to one double elimination and used 6 tables and it still took 3 hours.

Biggest thing to remember is that people at gatherings like these tend to play a very sociable game with "helping" "laughing" "chatter" etc...............never mind trying to get them to the table when they are supposed to play!

Anyway.........congrats on your "house pool table" they are great for parties!...........Enjoy!

Keith

R

rade0041

Thanks for the resopnses!

I think I will do the race to 1 for sure. I'm thinking that maybe I will ask people if they would rather pair up into 8 teams or go with 16 individuals and play longer. Many of the people will be ther all night.

Thanks for the congrats on the pool table. I have to tell ya, I am kind of excited about having people over to play on this table because I built it myself. I haven't noticed any problems in the way it plays but I am lookig forward to giving it a good workout. I'll attach a photo of the table in case anyone wants to take a peek...

Thanks again,
BR

Attachments

• pt.jpg
    pt.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 248
P

Paul Hanson

Home party tournament

I'd get the guys to flip coins to see which 4 drop out, get the ladies to do the same, and end up with 8 people who draw for partner, then play races to 3 scotch doubles with the non-players serving the players drinks and the players putting on a show for the rest of them...and the losers have to clean up the room after.

Paul:rolleyes:

P

Paul Hanson

House pool parties

I'm usually the guy cleaning up after.
P.

maximillion

justa strokin!
Silver Member
My freind tried this once but didnt have much luck, it wasnt very organized though, people were more into the party than the pool, I guess it just depends on the crowd, we did end up playing three ball thow, and that was a big hit.