Silver Member

Attachments

• 37819121_10155731531686623_7610081015083565056_n.jpg
    37819121_10155731531686623_7610081015083565056_n.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 954

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I am wondering if anyone knows of what wood this is and has information on it, I was told its like bacote? I can't find any information, input would be great

This is the wood, It is being used in a cue I am having made.

.https://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=497121&stc=1&d=1533087560

You'd be surprised how many woods have made up names or names that people will find out are used by the locals where it is harvested. They think they have something new and exciting but really it's just a common known wood. Not saying yours isn't, just saying.
Better pictures might help a bit but some wood is hard enough to try and figure out what it is when holding it in your hands.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am wondering if anyone knows of what wood this is and has information on it, I was told its like bacote? I can't find any information, input would be great

This is the wood, It is being used in a cue I am having made.

.https://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=497121&stc=1&d=1533087560

I am not a cuemaker, not even close. To my eye, judging by your photo, it looks like it could be Zircote, or Wenge. These are purely guesses. Good luck with your quest. :smile:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering if anyone knows of what wood this is and has information on it, I was told its like bacote?

Might or might not be true, but actual "name" is just a marketing hussle.

If it can't be found in the wood database, or even any references in an open google search except AZB, then someone made the name up quite recently. Or (no insult intended) possibly you misunderstood what they are saying?

Need a bigger clearer picture to even make any WAG's

smt

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No such name for a wood. Ask your cuemaker guy for the Latin name, that should sort things out.
To me it looks alot like Wenge (Millettia Laurentii)

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that literally translate to Castle of Pleasant Smells? I've been to a LOT of castles. None of them had a pleasing odor.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They told me it was only available in the mountains of Panay, Philippines. Not sure it that's on the up and up. Interesting wood combos they use. This wood, and spalted tamerind. They maple core the tamarind, not sure if they do that
to the castille de aroma.

Attachments

• Tsu Nami 5.jpg
    Tsu Nami 5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly Philippine Ebony (diospyros). Commonly called Kamagong for the tree and velvet apple for the fruit.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks a lot like Bocote to me. I am a woodworker, and woodturner, and turn quite a few pens for gifts. While I use a variety of hard woods, Bocote is one of them. Can't say for certain by the picture provided, but looks like Bocote to me. Just for your information, your spelling is wrong, and might be some of the confusion, Bocote is the correct spelling, or at least how it is spelled as sold to woodturners.