Derby City Straight Pool 2018

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you going to Derby City, be sure to drop by the 14.1 Challenge room. There should be constant action on the four tables. The prize fund will be around $26,000 this year with $19,000 added. There is an additional $1000 bonus prize if anyone breaks Jayson Shaw's record in the event of 227.

When the event first started back in 2006 I thought no one might ever run 200 on the Diamond tables but that has happened three years in a row now. Last year I think there were two 200 runs with Chris Melling taking the honors with a 225.

If you want to try your luck, entry is $100 for 12 tries to make a high run. There are daily prizes for the three highest runs, and the eight high runners for the four days of qualifiers play in a single-elimination tournament where most of the prize money is.

We will be upstairs past the action room and overlooking the main floor.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If anybody ever runs 527....this would be a great place to do it.
I think it's very unlikely in this format. The first problem is the tables which have 4.5-inch pockets. The second is that the top players don't get that many tries. Most of them have to show up for matches downstairs. Also, if they happen to put up a top score, say over 180, they tend to wait before more tries.

But suppose a player averages 60 balls per turn. (That's the best average I've noticed there, one year for one player for a small number of tries.) And suppose they enter twice for 24 total tries. They are 84% to run a 250 in those 24 tries. We haven't had any 250s. Or 300s which would be a 1 in 7 chance. My conclusion is that there are no true 60-average players (on those tables) entered.

If the top 10 entries are by 45-average players (120 total tries), there is one chance in 1000 of seeing a 527.

But then there was Earl and the 10 (or 11) racks....

moose man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay's bonus?

I think it's very unlikely in this format. The first problem is the tables which have 4.5-inch pockets. The second is that the top players don't get that many tries. Most of them have to show up for matches downstairs. Also, if they happen to put up a top score, say over 180, they tend to wait before more tries.

But suppose a player averages 60 balls per turn. (That's the best average I've noticed there, one year for one player for a small number of tries.) And suppose they enter twice for 24 total tries. They are 84% to run a 250 in those 24 tries. We haven't had any 250s. Or 300s which would be a 1 in 7 chance. My conclusion is that there are no true 60-average players (on those tables) entered.

If the top 10 entries are by 45-average players (120 total tries), there is one chance in 1000 of seeing a 527.

I remember sometime in the last couple years, Jay Helfert was offering to personally pay a cash bonus if anyone were to break Mosconi's record. Since it's obviously a long shot with these pockets, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jay offer it up again to try to encourage the super high running guys to try to swing at it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Last year I think there were two 200 runs with Chris Melling taking the honors with a 225. ...

Yes -- 225 for Melling and 210 for Orcollo. Also, a couple of "almosts" -- 198 for Orcollo and 197 for Pagulayan.

... If the top 10 entries are by 45-average players (120 total tries), there is one chance in 1000 of seeing a 527.

Good "if." The top 10 last year averaged 43 balls per attempt on 308 attempts, led by Orcollo's 56.2 average.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's very unlikely in this format. The first problem is the tables which have 4.5-inch pockets. .

The 4.5" pocket indeed presents a problem but when you add the deep shelf of the pocket, you end up with a very difficult table for straight pool. That being said, I can see a handful of the top 14.1 players catching a gear and posting some large runs.

I'm so happy to see this segment of the DCC continue to grow. It is such a unique format to be able to watch players for four days basically compete against themselves in order to make it to the elimination phase. The projected prize money is creeping closer to where the final matches should soon be receiving the respect of the the other disciplines of the tournament. If that means rearranging the overall DCC schedule down the road to allow these matches to be played on the big stage, so be it. In the meantime lets hope we do not have another situation like last year where players were forfeiting out of elimination matches due to competition conflicts.

Bob, keep us posted on the latest involving the stream, and thanks to everyone involved in the George Fels Memorial. The continued growth of this event is a testament to your vision and efforts. I'm sure George will be watching.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Personally I really enjoy this event. It's unique and fun to just walk upstairs periodically to just see who is having a go. Though he's never had great success in this event (surprisingly) it was a fun experience for me a couple of years ago to just be upstairs watching matches when Thorsten Hohmann came in for his attempts and I got to see one of the greats practicing his craft.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember sometime in the last couple years, Jay Helfert was offering to personally pay a cash bonus if anyone were to break Mosconi's record. Since it's obviously a long shot with these pockets, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jay offer it up again to try to encourage the super high running guys to try to swing at it.

I am still willing to pay 10K for a run of 527 or more, but there must be a video of the entire run and that belongs to me.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've given this a whirl a couple of times with miserable results, like 40 ball runs.

Beyond the 4.5" pockets, you get to rack 'em up and do your best while guys like Hohmann are sitting on the sidelines, in *very* tight quarters. A personal highlight can be something as small as when you hit a decent shot to take a frozen ball off a rail and he snaps his fingers in acknowledgement.

It's tough.

Lou Figueroa

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Run

I am still willing to pay 10K for a run of 527 or more, but there must be a video of the entire run and that belongs to me.

-
This must be done at the derby...?
Now that will stir up some interest!

Derby is going to be great this year!!!!

Rob.M

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Derby City Straight Pool Challenge

As far as the live stream goes, TV Mike had this to say on Facebook:

"This is one of the biggest shows of the year for Billiardnet.tv if you don’t know we have been producing on behalf of Diamond Billiards for the past 3-4 years at the Derby City Classic. It is a blessing to be involved in one of the most prestigious events for professional and amateur pool in the country.

Dates of the event are January the 19th through the 27th- NINE DAYS.

The first two days we are available for producing action matches and whatever other coverage gets sent our way. Sunday through Weds from 9AM till about 12 am are the 14.1 George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge Qualifiers and then the actual matches of the tournament on Thursday.

This event has actually grown to be one of the most popular events @ Derby City. World class players from all over the globe will be competing for a record 19,000 in added money.

Did I mention there will be lots of action and great streams? Anytime the 14.1 isn’t going we will feature action matches on the tables that we get off the cuff or that are presented to us to cover for the viewers and players who like to play on the 2 tables upstairs in our section which is semi private with room and seats for spectators and a lower traffic area.

The 14.1 event has actually grown to be one of the most popular events @ Derby City for the world class players from all over that travel, and this year the added money is at $ 19,000 so far.

I am going to produce 2 channels to choose from with coverage up to 4 tables alternating in views at different times. As per usual all the content will be available for review or on demand viewing anytime from both channels on the network along with the other thousands of videos online available. As soon as a segment of streaming is closed the video is available immediately for watching!"

I imagine you can locate the stream. I know you have to join some plan of Mike's. I think it is a low monthly plan that you can opt out after the first month. https://billiardnet.tv/

Attachments

• challenge_rules (003).jpg
    challenge_rules (003).jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 437

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member

That is a nice bonus.

However, since you add your "but", I can see how legal issues can make the payment obligation invalid. TV Mike is streaming and will he give up the ownership of that particular video? I hope so..

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Why not just go to 4.75" pockets, and let'em swing at it.:shrug:

plenty of top players would love to be the one, and this would help get them to the table....No?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
That is a nice bonus.

However, since you add your "but", I can see how legal issues can make the payment obligation invalid. TV Mike is streaming and will he give up the ownership of that particular video? I hope so..

We are giving an added bonus of $1000.00 for breaking the Derby high run of 227.

If someone were to break the 527, we would do whatever the player wants us to with our video. We have 4 cameras constantly on the tables.

Mike's cameras have not been constantly on all the tables so who knows if he would even get it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I ever make it to DCC I will definitely check out the 14.1 room.

The nice thing about where the straight pool was located, Al, is that you get an excellent
view from above of the main stream table also.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is always my favorite event to watch. You can sit upstairs within a few feet of the tables, watch the pro's up close, and always stretch you neck around to see the action downstairs as well. I wish I were going to see it live again this year, but I'll be tuning into the stream.