BCAPL 8 Ball League question

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Someone asked me last night how the BCAPL works, there has never been a BCAPL league in this area so I had no idea, so now I am curious as well. Looked on the website and I don't see any uniform handicap system being used, or really any info on the subject. So is there a handicap system for BCAPL? What would the handicap system look like at their BCAPL nationals in Vegas? How do they rate the players once they arrive in Vegas?

thanks in advance.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCAPL works the same as it always has. It's just a privately owned entity now, instead of being managed by the BCA. It still operates exactly the way it has for decades. There is a 'handicap system' available for local implentation, but there is NO handicap once you get to the national tournament. Everyone plays heads up.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...So is there a handicap system for BCAPL? What would the handicap system look like at their BCAPL nationals in Vegas? How do they rate the players once they arrive in Vegas?

how does the bcapl 8 ball handicap work?

I think there are various handicap schemes local leagues can use. The one in my league is pretty simple to explain. Each game is played on a 10 point must system. The winner of the game scores 10 points. The loser scores however many balls he made, from 0-7. Each players handicap is his average, determined by the total number of points he's accumulated divided by the number of games he's played. So if I win 3 and lose one (making 6 balls in my loss) then my total is 36 divided by the 4 games I played, or 9 handicap. Over time your total points and total games keep accumulating and the handicap recalculated. Handicaps are rounded to the nearest whole number, so a 8.4 and a 7.6 are both considered 8's even though one is almost a full point higher than the other. So in the league there are players you might consider strong 8's and others weak 8's.

In my league the handicaps are only applicable to the team play. Each game though is played even regardless of the handicaps of the players. So if a 9 is playing a 6, he is most likely going to win that game because they play even.

The team scoring is where the handicaps come into play. In our league 5 guys on a team play a total of 4 games against 4 of the 5 players on the other team. There are 4 rounds with 5 games in each round. 5 points are up for grabs - one for each round and one for the total. Say one team has players with handicaps of 8+7+6+8+7 = 36. The other team's handicaps are 9+8+8+7+7 = 39. This means the better team gives 3 points per round and 12 points on the total. At the end of a round, the total points made by the players of each team are added up. Then the weaker team adds the handicap to their score (in this case 3), and whichever team has the high score wins that round. So if the better team scores say 35 points in a round and the weaker team scores 33, then the weaker team wins the point for the round since their net score was 33 +3 for the handicap, or 36 total. If the round is a tie, then the team that had 3 wins takes the round.

I'm sure there are various ways it can be done, but this is basically how ours goes.

As Scott mentioned, handicaps are local only. There are no national handicaps and the national tournament is played scratch, but in divisions based on skill levels.

Because of the way it is set up, sandbagging is not much of an issue in the BCAPL. Any team can go to nationals, you don't have to win your way to a spot. Additionally, when you get there your team handicap doesn't mean anything because you are playing even. What can happen on occasion is when a team(s) or players of higher skill get entered into a lower skill division. I can't tell you that has never happened, there will always be people trying to steal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In Las Vegas, its Open (everyone) and Masters (which can include Pros).

As others pointed out, there is no national handicap like APA. It gives the local league operator flexibility to implement his/her own handicap scale tailored to the players in the league.

In the team 8-ball BCAPL sanctioned league that I play the handicap ranges from 2-10. The handicap is by ball. Meaning if I'm a 7 and I'm playing a 5 it means the 5 take the last two balls off the table before shooting the 8-ball. The league manager also targets this league for beginners and intermediates. A 10 is roughly equal to a C,C+, and 6 & 7 are APA 4.

In the same poolroom, a different manager runs the team 9-ball league. That league is both BCA and ACS sanctioned. His audience are intermediate to advance players. The handicap in his league is ABCD, with 1 game difference between half levels in a race to 7. B playing a C gives up 2 on 7. Polling around most of the Cs are 6's in APA, and 7s for C+s, and definitely a 7 for Bs.

how does the bcapl 8 ball handicap work?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In Las Vegas, its Open (everyone) and Masters (which can include Pros).

I thought pros played in the Grand Masters division, but I've been wrong before. They also have a new division for next year below the open division called the Leisure division.

Incidentally, the term Open I don't believe means it's open to everyone. If you are considered a Masters or Grand Master player or team you aren't supposed to be competing in the Open division.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, you guys are close.

It really is best to contact our office between 9 and 5 PST.

We are going through a lot of changes (including getting ready to launch new websites) so our website may not be completely up to date.

Our phone number is 702-719-7665
email: sara@playcsipool.com and she will get your questions answered.

It is eal easy to become a league operator - for either the BCAPL or the USAPL.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Call the office like Mark said if you want further details, specifically the "HOW" people are bucketed.

There are now 5 divisions.

Grand Master (anyone can play in)
Master
Advanced
Open
Leisure (Lower level OPEN, like APA players)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My recollection was there were 2 divisions (open and Masters). I believe next year there are more choices.

I thought pros played in the Grand Masters division, but I've been wrong before. They also have a new division for next year below the open division called the Leisure division.

Incidentally, the term Open I don't believe means it's open to everyone. If you are considered a Masters or Grand Master player or team you aren't supposed to be competing in the Open division.

blah blah

Shoebat
We have a local BCAPL. It doesn't use any handicaps at all.

The home team captain writes their players down one side, and the visitor team captain matches up their players against the home list. Generally, no player may play back-to-back games, or more than 3 games in a night. That's it.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
My recollection was there were 2 divisions (open and Masters). I believe next year there are more choices.

I think it also depends if you are talking about teams or singles. Below is the schedule for this year's events from the playbca website. I guess in singles they have Open, Advanced, Masters, and Grand Masters levels. It appears the same with teams except no Grand Masters division, though there is a Trophy teams event (not sure what that is). Next year they are adding a Leisure division for people below Open level.

BCAPL Results.png

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone asked me last night how the BCAPL works, there has never been a BCAPL league in this area so I had no idea, so now I am curious as well. Looked on the website and I don't see any uniform handicap system being used, or really any info on the subject. So is there a handicap system for BCAPL? What would the handicap system look like at their BCAPL nationals in Vegas? How do they rate the players once they arrive in Vegas?

thanks in advance.

Yes there was Kevin. Ask Al. Or I can shoot you something on PM.

No handicaps in Vegas.

Freddie

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I think it also depends if you are talking about teams or singles. Below is the schedule for this year's events from the playbca website. I guess in singles they have Open, Advanced, Masters, and Grand Masters levels. It appears the same with teams except no Grand Masters division, though there is a Trophy teams event (not sure what that is). Next year they are adding a Leisure division for people below Open level.

View attachment 242515

Dogs,

The schedule for 2013 is out and available at the BCAPL website. Also available is the pricing for rooms at The Rio. See you there!

Lyn

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Dogs,

The schedule for 2013 is out and available at the BCAPL website. Also available is the pricing for rooms at The Rio. See you there!

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn. It looks like it is pretty much as I thought with the Leisure division added for next year. I also note that it seems the teams Advanced and Masters are combined for mixed teams.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Lyn. It looks like it is pretty much as I thought with the Leisure division added for next year. I also note that it seems the teams Advanced and Masters are combined for mixed teams.

Yes they are. Trying to put together an Advanced team for next July. That division allows one Master (myself) and three Advanced players. Really tough to find enough high caliber players. The best Advanced players want to play on an Open Mixed team because of the additional payouts. The Masters team Nine Ball event was cancelled this year. Too few participants. Think our LV Cue Club team was the only one entered.

Lyn