advice

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fellow roomowners,

I need a little advice asap. My employee passed away unexpectedly a couple of days ago. The family has decided to cremate him and doesn't plan anything in the way of a service. His family has traveled a long way to get here and I would like to have a wake of sorts in my poolroom with food and fellowship to celebrate his life. Could anyone give me some ideas as to the proper way to do this.
I have been collecting donations, which my husband and I have matched, given his family his final paycheck and vacation pay and plan to purchase food for a get together on Monday. Would it be tacky of me to charge half price for sodas and beer even tho I have paid for everything else?
Thanks
PHM

TheHole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow...thats a toughy......but the way I see it is....if you have already done so much, what's another couple of hundred dollars in beer and soda. I would keep it all free and support a family in a time of sorrow. Another way may be to put a DRINK DONATION box on the bar and just ask for donations to cover some costs.....but that might be tacky also. If it was me....I would do the free drinks with the food.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
sorry about your loss

Maven sorry to hear about that . I have been to Melbourne a few times this year and always stoped in for a few games . I was always treated good by all
and look forward to another trip that way around thanksgiving or the new year
Sounds like you got a good idea for the famliy and friend get together. We had a similar thing at a appliance shop I used to work at one time and it ended up with us all setting around telling stories about our friend and we kinda celebrated his life . Wish you all the best Matt

GoldRush cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i bought my pool room, the previous owners wife passed away shortly after. this was her home for six years. so people asked if we could do the wake here after the funeral. we did. you know, everybody brought something. i bought a lot of soda and put it out in ice chests for the people to help themselves. but in california, A.B.C. WILL NOT LET US GIVE BEER AWAY. so we did charge for it.no complaints and everybody thanked us afterwards. ive had several request since to "rent " the pool hall out for other wakes. i always do it for free.but i do charge for the beer and snacks and such.you know, most people know that when you own your own business, you cant give alot away or you wont be in business for very long. besides , put yourself in the in there shoes, they just want somewhere for all of your employees friends and family to meet and remember them. where else than your room!

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Assuming it's a private affair with just family, I think you do free softdrinks, and maybe a keg of beer. Are the family drinkers? It may be inappropriate to serve or give away free alcohol if they are against that sort of thing.
probably the right balace would be to serve softdrinks and charge for alcohol. Free booze has a tendency to make folks over indulge.
I also think that a lot of people will bring something in with them, a food plate or drinks, so it might not be that much added if you had drinks on hand.
It's a final send off for a person who I think (based on your post) was more than just an employee, so do it proud and let the family know just how much you valued having this person in your life...

I am truely sorry for your loss...

McCue Banger McCue

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, throw in the soft drinks, since you are paying for everything else, and have a cash bar for the alcohol, with normal prices.

Sorry for your loss.

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your opinion. I will be purchasing the food and sodas tomorrow for our get together on Monday. Sodas in the ice chest it is! Matt if you were here during the day you probably met Jimmy T. he worked for us for many years and he will truly be missed. Thank you all for your advice and condolences.
Tracy

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At Cues2 in Atlanta I remember seeing a plaque with a picture of a pool player. It was located in a sitting area where people can sit down and eat. I remember looking at it for a while one day just studying the picture. I can't remeber the persons name but I'll probably look at it again next time I'm there.

Sorry for your loss.

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Smittie we have done that for one of our customers who died of cancer a couple of years ago. Luckily one of our pool player (my poolplaying friend of 29 years) likes to work with wood as a hobby and somehow he was able to run the picture onto the veneer. He asked me if I would like one for Jimmy T. and I said that would be so nice. One time we took donations for a fisherman (heartattack) and donated the money to some fish wildlife thing. That was probably a decade ago, that was neat too. Darn these folks, they keep dying!
Anyway, I'm ready, the meat and veggies are sliced, cake is ordered, potatoe salad and coleslaw, vegtable tray chips, dips corn chips and salsa, cookies and oh yes the sodas are chillin in the fridge.
Tomorrow is the big day, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, Tracy

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your loss. This is a very nice thing you are doing. I would like to think my friends at the pool room and or the people at my employer would do something so nice for me if I passed on suddenly:)

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know how things went today!
I would guess 50 to 75 people showed up to pay their respects to the family. The front table was totally covered with food and drinks, flowers were sent by well wishers and everyone circulated and met with the family to give their condolences. What began at noon was still going strong after 2:30 and some people were still there when I finally left at 6:00.
You know pool and poolplayers get a bad rap from the masses, antiquated ideas of smokey poolrooms and sinister people but, I can truly say most people I meet in the poolroom are fine wonderful people and that was truly evident today.
I'm bone tired, but I have a smile on my face it was a good send off for Jimmy T.
Thanks again for the advice it was much appreciated.
Tracy

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Glad it went well for you and the family. I did appreciate that you took time to send me a PM about it. You did a very nice thing for the family and all of his friends, I'm sure he will be missed.

McCue Banger McCue