Alright, when and how do I use this?

merlin7734

Registered
So in addition to the cue with the warped shaft (which I just received my case and replacement shaft today! ) and a box of chalk I received this... I assumed it was to be used every couple shots to keep my shaft from dragging through my bridge fingers?

45d1fb09308a94d13687e78a7211fad3.jpg

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's real simple to use, just use it if your shaft ever gets sticky etc. Works pretty good for what it is. Most people rarely need to use it. Depends alot on the humidity where you play

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has a very rough abrasive interior. Slide it over your shaft and rub. This is a great way to ruin your shaft.

Most often when that comes with a cue you bought on Ebay, the shaft is already ruined.

If I see that in the pictures of the sale of a cue, I assume the shaft is ruined.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
the easiest way to use it is to take out of your case and throw it right in the garbage. Wood and Scotch bright is a terrible combination...

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously there is a couple variations of this. The one I have is at least 20 years old and the interior is same material as the outside. Just looked at the one my friend got recently and it does have a scotch brite like interior. So I agree with above poster that you probably should just toss it

merlin7734

Registered
Follow up question then, what’s the best way for me to care for my shaft? Small bit of rubbing alcohol? Wet wipes?

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never wanna use wet wipes on a shaft. Moisture is not your shafts friend. Lots of people like the dry powder cleaner. Some folks just use a dry towel or even a dollar bill. Best way to care for it is to keep it in a good climate & away from moisture

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, keep your hands clean. What i did: use a clean cloth/paper towel and de-natured alcohol to clean. Then use 600(lightly), then 800 and 1000 to get it smooth. Then wax it with Qwax or RenaissanceWax. Done.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my shaft gets a little sticky or i feel a little crud on it I use a napkin or a dollar bill.
And I rub it vigorously. This will put a little glaze on it and it will be super slick.
If you clean it this way often you may be able to not use some of the slightly damaging methods like magic eraser or 1500 grit sandpaper( horrors!).

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Every couple shots??

You use this every couple shots and your cue will become a tiny twig in 6-months.

It will make a 1980's Meucci look stiff.

THROW IT AWAY. It literally sands down your shaft.

Should be dozens of threads on here on proper shaft cleaning and maintenance, without sanding it --- EVER.

-von

<snip>. I assumed it was to be used every couple shots to keep my shaft from dragging through my bridge fingers?

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Priceless piece of equipment. Nothing better, if you find yourself playing off the wall, in random places. I always have something similar, that stays in my vehicle, all the time. Piece of magic erase, one of these, scotch brite. Works great. This one though, will keep all white wax/sawdust/whatever, from getting all over your change, bills, etc..., while in your pocket.
I hate gloves, so it is what it is :thumbup:.
I love house cues. I have 3 customs, and haven't shot with any of them, in the last 3 yrs.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the one I have has Scotchbrite inside... not good for a
maple shaft.. as mentioned above, I leave it in my case when
I have to use a house cue for breaking, in case my break tip
comes off.

All I use are those brown paper towels with a waffle pattern,
moistened with a tiny bit of water.. gets the grime and chalk
off, then buff with a dry one.