Mr 600

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 3. ... I think the BCA was very clear in their release to NOT label John's accomplishment as an exhibition record. ...

"After viewing the unedited video, the Billiard Congress of America is proud to acknowledge John Schmidt's 626 run as the new 14.1 exhibition high run record."

[See post #137 above.]

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"After viewing the unedited video, the Billiard Congress of America is proud to acknowledge John Schmidt's 626 run as the new 14.1 exhibition high run record."

[See post #137 above.]

Great. All well and good. Fabulous.

Show me the unedited video.

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

[See post #137 above.]

Right! & the BCA GOES on in paragraph #4 to CLARIFY that " after Mosconi won an exhibition match he continued to go on to his 526 run while John S made an intentional attempt to break the record -- they clearly in paragraph 4 want to separate HOW the two runs were accomplished in terms of the actual setting and it CLEARLY CONFLICTS with their opening statement that this is a new exhibition high run.

I think it is a flaw in how the statement/declaration was prepared- or was it intentional? Seems to me the final paragraph was added intentionally to "officially" qualify the conditions under which this all occurred. Otherwise- somebody explain the reason for how the last paragraph is worded, or why it was added at all?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right! & the BCA GOES on in paragraph #4 to CLARIFY that " after Mosconi won an exhibition match he continued to go on to his 526 run while John S made an intentional attempt to break the record -- they clearly in paragraph 4 want to separate HOW the two runs were accomplished in terms of the actual setting and it CLEARLY CONFLICTS with their opening statement that this is a new exhibition high run.

I think it is a flaw in how the statement/declaration was prepared- or was it intentional? Seems to me the final paragraph was added intentionally to "officially" qualify the conditions under which this all occurred. Otherwise- somebody explain the reason for how the last paragraph is worded, or why it was added at all?
In the words of the great Hillary Clinton what difference does it make lol short answer is it doesn't because simply no body really cares , pool simply is a after thought , when Willie did it was daily news mainstream everyone knew pool mattered then , long answer see short answer ,
The difference is Wille was the best on every level his run was backed up with numerous titles and world records he was on a who who's list everyone in the wold knew who he was , not a guy that's on the who is that guy list , it is what it is

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Geesh; they just provided a little more information/detail. Both the first and last sentences (prior to the "About BCA" stuff) of the release call John's accomplishment a new "exhibition high run" record.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sir was a back handed compliment if I ever heard one. I think that one thing John proved with his quest was how difficult it truly is to run 500+ balls. I'm not sure we will see anyone else try to duplicate or surpass what he's done for a long time.

I agree. Backhanded is a nice way to put it.

IMO, it was downright disrespectful and shows a lack of class on their part.

Jay, we both know that this world needs the uneducated, otherwise instructors wouldn't have anyone to educate.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the words of the great Hillary Clinton what difference does it make lol short answer is it doesn't because simply no body really cares , pool simply is a after thought , when Willie did it was daily news mainstream everyone knew pool mattered then , long answer see short answer ,
The difference is Wille was the best on every level his run was backed up with numerous titles and world records he was on a who who's list everyone in the wold knew who he was , not a guy that's on the who is that guy list , it is what it is

Great Hillary???????

Really?????

Lol

Have a good "1",

Jeff

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Just shut up already

I just love it the way you guys just keep talking.

Anything bad about it and your trolling.

Multi-camera video, please

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe that John ran all the balls he claims and I say that was truly a tremendous accomplishment. Yet I still have tremendous issues with the entire way this whole thing was orchestrated:

1. Mosconi's run was PART of a competitive match, even though it was an exhibition- Mosconi had to play against an opponent for the first 150 points - John's was a solo session in its entirety.

2. Mosconi played in a strange room in front of a strange crowd in a strange town in the middle of night upon night of exhibition travel - John set this all up in one room on one table that he set up to be as easy as possible. I am a 75 ball runner every day on the equipment and pocket sizes John selected, but I struggle at runs half that amount on Diamond 4 1/2 pro cut pockets - John chose to use NOT the standard equipment of pros today, to me that was a cop-out- you are a 20019 pro so use that equipment!

3. I would consider John's record a "practice" record, NOT a competitive or "Exhibition" record - to me it was definitely neither competitive/ exhibition- or a combination in any form what so ever. I think the BCA was very clear in their release to NOT label John's accomplishment as an exhibition record.

4. Honestly I am 100% convinced that Mosconi and several others could have run more than John did if there was any serious motivation to do this - I will include guys like Mike Eufemia, George Rood, Harold Worst just as a starting point of other guys who had that level of 14.1 talent- just no reason to sit in a room for months at a time trying to do this! I still don't know why he did this - I mean- it was estimated that Babe Ruth received 3,000 pitches the year he hit 60 homers- NOBODY locked themselves in a ballpark day after day and counted how many batting practice homers they hit for every 3,000 pitches received- it would seem ridiculous to anyone- yet basically that it what John did for the run record!

5. As I said- I am sure John accomplished this run and Congrats to him for what it is due.

You have every right to your opinion, but I'm inclined to disagree with much of what you wrote.

Easy Equipment
Neither John's run nor Mosconi's run came on the kind of equipment that was customary in either of their days. In each case, the run was made on loose equipment.

With or Without an Opponent?
Mosconi's opponent had about five minutes of air time on that night in 1954, and I don't think that opponent's presence bears in any way on the legitimacy of the run. It's not like Willie was playing a high stakes exhibition 2,000 point match against Greenleaf or Crane and that he faced the prospect of an hour in the chair after each and every miss.

Greater Number of Attempts than Mosconi
While you make a reasonable point that John had more attempts than Mosconi in setting the record, I say so what. Should we devalue John's record just because it meant so much more to him to own this record than any player ever, which led to a far greater effort to make his truly historic run? Of course not. Since when has "wanting it so bad it hurts" ever diminished the accomplishment of a record in sports?

The Commitment Issue: The Secret Ingredient
In one area in particular, I think people aren't giving John enough credit. His level of desire and determination may not be duplicable by top players going forward. John himself has suggested that a few others have the skills to make a run of this magnitude, but I, for one, wonder whether he's right, because I just don't see anyone achieving the level of commitment to setting the record that John had. The ability to reach the level of commitment John reached is something few pool players have or will ever know.

In Conclusion
Records are always difficult to compare across eras because conditions change. When Babe Ruth hit 60 homers in 1927 that was more than the total of most teams that year. Hence,comparing that to the 61 homers Roger Maris hit in one season or the 73 homers Barry Bonds hit in one season is difficult. Best is just to give them all their due.

Still, John's record is truly amazing. It took 65 years for Mosconi's record to fall. It wouldn't surprise me in the least is John's record holds for just as long.

Well played, John.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Commitment Issue: The Secret Ingredient
In one area in particular, I think people aren't giving John enough credit. His level of desire and determination may not be duplicable by top players going forward. John himself has suggested that a few others have the skills to make a run of this magnitude, but I, for one, wonder whether he's right, because I just don't see anyone achieving the level of commitment to setting the record that John had. The ability to reach the level of commitment John reached is something few pool players have or will ever know.

John's record is truly amazing. It took 65 years for Mosconi's record to fall. It wouldn't surprise me in the least is John's record holds for just as long.

Well played, John.

yes..agree and well said..
to me, the commitment is the difference between john, and everybody else.
maybe there are a few players skill-wise who could pull it off, but nobody is so skilled out there, that they could do it without the hunger, and determination john showed in his quest. I don't think so.
I heard john say in a interview that he hoped other players would wait before challenging his new record- maybe he was protecting himself on some level (and understandably so), but I say let them come-
they may have the talent, but do they have the guts?

shoot..
maybe there's some kid out there right now heard of john and what he did,
sure they're bummed that there's no video:grin:
but now their imagination is stoked!
and their desire to make every ball on the table, rack after rack
is strong...
so strong, that someday 626 might be but a stepping stone-
en route to an even better run.
and again, we will salute mr. mosconi,
and mr. schmidt,
for paving the way

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
yes..agree and well said..
to me, the commitment is the difference between john, and everybody else.
maybe there are a few players skill-wise who could pull it off, but nobody is so skilled out there, that they could do it without the hunger, and determination john showed in his quest. I don't think so.
I heard john say in a interview that he hoped other players would wait before challenging his new record- maybe he was protecting himself on some level (and understandably so), but I say let them come-
they may have the talent, but do they have the guts?

shoot..
maybe there's some kid out there right now heard of john and what he did,
sure they're bummed that there's no video:grin:
but now their imagination is stoked!
and their desire to make every ball on the table, rack after rack
is strong...
so strong, that someday 626 might be but a stepping stone-
en route to an even better run.
and again, we will salute mr. mosconi,
and mr. schmidt,
for paving the way

Why bother when they can just fake it?

He deserves it is not a reason to give him a title he did not earn.

BTW, is there a Mosconi estate that is suffering damages due to this?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

If I ran this forum you would be banned for life. Aren't you the guy that's all about building up the sport?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
If I ran this forum you would be banned for life. Aren't you the guy that's all about building up the sport?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, but in my world Leagues are almost worthless. and if you ran this forum it would be static content to mislead people. A dead website.

I'm going to build a website to cover this joke. There are simply too many reasons why this is pool hustler bullshit and nothing more.

Time to make some calls about this.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John and Doug, the main players in this tale, have something we have not seen, only heard about. They would like to be paid monetarily to allow for the masses to view it. Perhaps the officers of the BCA should have run this effort by their own members for their review prior to making their announcement of acknowledgement for a record that may not deserve a place, an asterisk(*), or even a footnote in time.

Implying the run wasn't legit?

Do you seriously think the BCA would go on record as acknowledging the resetting of the 526, if it wasn't satisfied 100% in its consideration?

The moon is made of cheese.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Yes, but in my world Leagues are almost worthless. and if you ran this forum it would be static content to mislead people. A dead website.

I'm going to build a website to cover this joke. There are simply too many reasons why this is pool hustler bullshit and nothing more.

Who said anything about leagues? Are you confused about which thread you are currently trolling again?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Any interest that I may have had...I have completely lost with this nonsense.

Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime to watch it, and I grew up loving and playing straight pool daily during the great straight pool era.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd make a call to your local drug dealer that stuff your smoking is worth a mint

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

4972464B-BD1A-41EC-BFDE-3B55939B261C.jpeg

Balls...one ball short of a full rack