Can someone help me figure out what's wrong with my shaft and what's causing this dis

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the botched title, I ran out of letters.

I have owned about a dozen cues and I have always been very meticulous with my shaft care and have never seen this issue. I bought this Meucci pro as a partial blank and had Schmelke cues custom make a cue for me. I know they have to put their finish on it as well as 'The Pro' sticker before the finish coat, but I don't know is this issue is something they did or if it's a defect from Meucci. As you see but the pics/video there are uneven areas that get dirty very fast, this is even with a seal of wax on it. It also only takes a few hours of play for it to appear.

https://imgur.com/a/rSDLoa7

Thanks.
0f0f712c27c57ce785335a0d302beb7e.jpg
1eaeb89818e8393bde78e01bacd7ccfc.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Schmelke dips their shafts and cues on UV finish.
End to end.
It is a very thick finish and turns greenish bluish when the finish wears out.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke dips their shafts and cues on UV finish.

End to end.

It is a very thick finish and turns greenish bluish when the finish wears out.
This makes sense but I have lightly sanded and burnished and sealed the cue a few times after this happens, how is it not in more areas? Also I have a Schmelke break cue that is not doing this.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll contact Dave at Schmelke and see what they can do for me.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you or someone sanded through the factory finish in areas. And that is why it is taking on chalk in those areas. Taking a few thousanths off with a good sanding will most likely allow your shaft to get dirty everywhere like most shafts do.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you or someone sanded through the factory finish in areas. And that is why it is taking on chalk in those areas. Taking a few thousanths off with a good sanding will most likely allow your shaft to get dirty everywhere like most shafts do.
So I should take it to a qualified cue Smith to have them run it on the lathe to clean it up?

tsp&b

Silver Member
Perhaps you may want to give David a call at Schmelke.... Just sayin'

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps you may want to give David a call at Schmelke.... Just sayin'
I did email him last night. I'm giving him to the end of the day. If I don't hear from him I'll call them. I know they don't start until 10a

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I did email him last night. I'm giving him to the end of the day. If I don't hear from him I'll call them. I know they don't start until 10a

Maybe it is "luck residue" from practice?

Couldnt help it... Hope they get you some answers

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I should take it to a qualified cue Smith to have them run it on the lathe to clean it up?

Yes that is exactly what I would do if I were you. A few minutes on the lathe a few thousandths smaller diameter and you will be as good as new.