Humble Pie at the Mosconi Cup

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Just finished up my first Mosconi Cup and I must say it has been an amazing experience. Smooth event, great spectators on both sides, and lots of fun times at Griff's every night... (heading there in a few for another night of pool and cool people). Overall, the whole thing was an A+ experience.

As a half-German who lived there for almost 20 years of my life, I was really looking forward to seeing Joshua Filler play in person and I was not disappointed. That kid is a monster... He plays fast, loose, confident and precise. But with all of that said, I was really disappointed in his over-the-top arrogance on display, and the fact that he had the nerve to proclaim himself the new "king." Seems disrespectful to all the players on both sides, not just SVB (who would never utter such words). Even more disappointing was to see Matchroom play into it with a graphic on screen of Filler wearing a crown on his head immediately after the match during interviews. Seems they had that prepped well in advance with intent of creating unnecessary additional drama. IMHO, it took just a little bit of class out of the event. (but still an A+

I'm not sure if folks watching the stream got to see the image I'm talking about, but the graphic disappeared before I could snap a pic.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the pool gods must have been watching and took immediate notice...

When I saw the lineup this morning, I called it... And sure enough the pool gods played along by providing a much-needed Filler attitude adjustment via Mr. Skyler Woodwood. Well done, Sky!

It was amazing and awesome to see it come down to Filler vs. Woodward with USA on the hill. Filler takes the loss on the chin like a Mike Tyson uppercut, coming up short for his team in his most critical match of the MC. Clearly the loss struck home, as he was shaken and emotional when it was over. At one point had the entire European team over there consoling him while Team USA was celebrating and dancing on the table. I even saw Chamat wiping tears off of Filler's face.

He plays like freakin' machine... but at the end of the day he is human like the rest of us. And pool can provide the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows...

This loss will surely sting, but I think it might make him an overall better competitor down the road and maybe help him keep his foot out of mouth for a while. I'm looking forward to many years of watching this kid grow up and be one of the greats.

Humble Pie served.... Hopefully he doesn't forget the taste... ;)

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just finished up my first Mosconi Cup and I must say it has been an amazing experience. Smooth event, great spectators on both sides, and lots of fun times at Griff's every night... (heading there in a few for another night of pool and cool people). Overall, the whole thing was an A+ experience.

As a half-German who lived there for almost 20 years of my life, I was really looking forward to seeing Joshua Filler play in person and I was not disappointed. That kid is a monster... He plays fast, loose, confident and precise. But with all of that said, I was really disappointed in his over-the-top arrogance on display, and the fact that he had the nerve to proclaim himself the new "king." Seems disrespectful to all the players on both sides, not just SVB (who would never utter such words). Even more disappointing was to see Matchroom play into it with a graphic on screen of Filler wearing a crown on his head immediately after the match during interviews. Seems they had that prepped well in advance with intent of creating unnecessary additional drama. IMHO, it took just a little bit of class out of the event. (but still an A+

I'm not sure if folks watching the stream got to see the image I'm talking about, but the graphic disappeared before I could snap a pic.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the pool gods must have been watching and took immediate notice...

When I saw the lineup this morning, I called it... And sure enough the pool gods played along by providing a much-needed Filler attitude adjustment via Mr. Skyler Woodwood. Well done, Sky!

It was amazing and awesome to see it come down to Filler vs. Woodward with USA on the hill. Filler takes the loss on the chin like a Mike Tyson uppercut, coming up short for his team in his most critical match of the MC. Clearly the loss struck home, as he was shaken and emotional when it was over. At one point had the entire European team over there consoling him while Team USA was celebrating and dancing on the table. I even saw Chamat wiping tears off of Filler's face.

He plays like freakin' machine... but at the end of the day he is human like the rest of us. And pool can provide the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows...

This loss will surely sting, but I think it might make him an overall better competitor down the road and maybe help him keep his foot out of mouth for a while. I'm looking forward to many years of watching this kid grow up and be one of the greats.

a great write up and perspective.

I mentioned in another thread that Filler looked like he was relishing the role of the Black Hat Guy. Interesting to read that Matchroom was all set with the crown graphic when Filler made his "I'm the King now" proclamation. This tells me they were likely putting him up to it to create some tension/drama.

It's all about the ratings. ;)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It's the Mosconi Cup, it's supposed to be like this!

Nobody served Filler anything, he beat Shane 10 - 1 for christ's sake.

I cant believe all the people who want to make the most exciting event of the year boring.

Aren't there enough events with empty seats already?

How stupid can you people be? Asking for a friend.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Happy the US won. Europe is nothing. Those morons cost us beaucoup $$ and blood too many times. They don't have a pot to piss in!!! Germany how can ya stand the shame?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the Mosconi Cup, it's supposed to be like this!

Nobody served Filler anything, he beat Shane 10 - 1 for christ's sake.

I cant believe all the people who want to make the most exciting event of the year boring.

Aren't there enough events with empty seats already?

How stupid can you people be? Asking for a friend.
exciting, sure. But...I do not want my pool to become a WWE event.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with Jason on this one. Filler brings excitement and the Mosconi Cup is the most exciting match of the year.

Keep it up Barry Hearn.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Skyler's win is a very big deal here. I know that most feel the short races don't mean anything, but those who feel that way really don't get it. The stakes are high at the Mosconi, and as we saw a year ago, delivering the 11th and winning point for your team is a tall order.

The difference in winning and losing the Mosconi Cup is 15,000 per man. That makes this one of the biggest moments of the year in pro pool. Skyler's pedigree went through the roof this past January at the Derby City Classic when he topped a very elite field of about 400 players to win the 9-ball. Yes, for the many on this forum who think that only long races matter, that was a so what moment.

Alternatively, many of us understand that greatness is about taking on all comers in whatever order they are presented, delivering when a tough match against a tough opponent is encountered, and overcoming the pressure that comes with every big moment.

Yes, Skyler won a race to five over Filler to close out the cup, but that means everything! Race to five a crapshoot? No sir, it is the short race that, by giving a player so little room for error, tests the nerves of even the most elite players in the game.

Well done, Skyler, and for those of you out there that think a race to five means nothing, you really need to rethink your position.

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This entire year has been an incredible plus for pool and it’s overall Image. IMO, pool is as big and accessible as it has ever been in my lifetime. I have been able to watch “world class” pool on multiple occasions. One in person (DCC) the others, thanks to the internet.

Many thanks to all of those involved that make it possible. That includes the promoters and the players that produce a very enjoyable product.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skyler's win is a very big deal here. I know that most feel the short races don't mean anything, but those who feel that way really don't get it. The stakes are high at the Mosconi, and as we saw a year ago, delivering the 11th and winning point for your team is a tall order.

The difference in winning and losing the Mosconi Cup is 15,000 per man. That makes this one of the biggest moments of the year in pro pool. Skyler's pedigree went through the roof this past January at the Derby City Classic when he topped a very elite field of about 400 players to win the 9-ball. Yes, for the many on this forum who think that only long races matter, that was a so what moment.

Alternatively, for those of us who understand that greatness is about taking on all comers in whatever order they are presented, delivering when a tough match against a tough opponent is encountered, and overcoming the pressure that comes with every big moment.

Yes, Skyler won a race to five over Filler to close out the cup, but that means everything! Race to five a crapshoot? No sir, it is the short race that, by giving a player so little room for error, tests the nerves of even the most elite players in the game.

Well done, Skyler, and for those of you out there that think a race to five means nothing, you really need to rethink your position.

Wish I could give you more green for this. I for one would love to see a tiger/Mickelson, mcenroe/lend typel rivalry blossom that we are fortunate enough to witness for the next 2 decades

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to both teams for giving everything they have..... I could only imagine the pressure compounded with such a tight table. So hard to sustain runs..... just getting a little out of shape makes for a lot of dangerous shots.

As for Filler..... I thought he was a douchebag. Which is a true statement. I'm not complaining about it. It's good entertainment to some. But, I do want to make clear, that him being a douchebag isn't what makes the Mosconi Cup so great..... the cup is great each and every year with or without him and his antics.

I'm sure the kid will mature in time.... he's young.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe needs a spot

Next Mosconi Cup is it possible to spot Europe a point or two to keep it close?

Kinda feeling a little sorry for the buggers in Europe. Cheer up boys don't think of it as losing, think of it as coming in 2nd place....:rolleyes::eek::thumbup:

Ken

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wish I could give you more green for this. I for one would love to see a tiger/Mickelson, mcenroe/lend typel rivalry blossom that we are fortunate enough to witness for the next 2 decades

World pool is producing some very formidable young layers right now, with Zheng and Raga the two most recent to make big statements in WPA Sanctioned tourneys. I sure hope they'll start playing more in the United States, just as I hope we'll see more of Wu Jiaqing on American soil.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
exciting, sure. But...I do not want my pool to become a WWE event.
Im perfectly fine with it being limited to one event like this. It's fun. In all honesty, I can't stand the Euro fans during the event when it's in Europe, but on the last day when the event is over, they are very respectable to the US players, even last year when we won over there.

This is an event that I actually cheer for from my sofa. My Dad and I watched the last 3 matches today on the stream before and after dinner. It was awesome rooting for our team as opposed to one player out of 128.

The circus of this event makes it fun I think and a welcome change of pace from the rest of the year's events, and when it is over it's also nice to go back to those.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World pool is producing some very formidable young layers right now, with Zheng and Raga the two most recent to make big statements in WPA Sanctioned tourneys. I sure hope they'll start playing more in the United States, just as I hope we'll see more of Wu Jiaqing on American soil.

Give Zheng a couple more years to get seasoned and he'll be a force to reckon with.

He has firepower and he ain't afraid to use it.

He'll have to learn to play a bit more safes, but until then I like the way he comes out of the gate and keeps on rolling. He doesn't play "duck and hide"...he plays "balls to the wall".

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, have to say I wouldn't mind watching Filler get body slammed a time or two...:rolleyes:

Me too.

He is a good player, but I can't stand his personality.

He is still very young, but he acts immature and childish in his emotions.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As one of the announcers said.... "this game has a way of humbling
the best of us". Maybe Filler figured
that out.

As for his behavior, I have to believe it
was partially scripted to invoke controversy.