Meucci Ferrules.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I use an older Meucci cue for League, and believe it or not, one of my favorite cues.

One time, I noticed that the ferrule seemed to move a bit. I applied steam from my steam gun to it and absolutely couldn't twist it off. Funny enuff, usually when you heat glue, it crystallizes and is useless after. I left it alone and somehow, it seemed to correct itself. I mean, I have had no problems twisting either a Pin or Insert out of a cue before using heat. So, this is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

Now, I have noticed a cracking sound when I hit the cue ball, so doing it again.

Is a Meucci ferrule threaded? I have never replaced a Meucci ferrule so far.

And this time, if I have to cut it off, what is a decent replacement material should I have to go that route?

I have some Titan straight thru rod and Linen Melamine on hand.

Thanks for the Help.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an older Meucci cue for League, and believe it or not, one of my favorite cues.

One time, I noticed that the ferrule seemed to move a bit. I applied steam from my steam gun to it and absolutely couldn't twist it off. Funny enuff, usually when you heat glue, it crystallizes and is useless after. I left it alone and somehow, it seemed to correct itself. I mean, I have had no problems twisting either a Pin or Insert out of a cue before using heat. So, this is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

Now, I have noticed a cracking sound when I hit the cue ball, so doing it again.

Is a Meucci ferrule threaded? I have never replaced a Meucci ferrule so far.

And this time, if I have to cut it off, what is a decent replacement material should I have to go that route?

I have some Titan straight thru rod and Linen Melamine on hand.

Thanks for the Help.

Good morning
If your ferrule is yellowish. I believe it was Abs. It was once listed as soft and the least durable of the ferrules. It played good though. It is still available thru certain suppliers like Atlas and Prather in 3/4 rods. A little different in color but still yellowish. Another choice but white would be XTC. Soft and light weight. Meucci did not thread those on. They have a good size tenin. Lbm is hard. I don't know anything about Titan.
Maybe Steve Lomax or Ryan at Meullers will chime in. They know more about Meucci's than anyone else I know of.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Thanks Michael, I appreciate it. If they are not threaded, then I wonder why the resistance at the first attempt. I didn't want to damage it so had wrapped a piece of leather around it and gave it a few twists at different stages of applying heat. But only so much as I didn't want to twist the tenon off either, as by others accounts, the Meucci tenons are rather different. Haha!

I believe the Titan is considered to be fairly light.

I will give it another try and see if I can't get it off to re glue it.

BTW, the ferrule is pure white and no yellow tinge.

I use other cues but for some strange reason, I always come back to this one.

Never a problem with it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Michael, I appreciate it. If they are not threaded, then I wonder why the resistance at the first attempt. I didn't want to damage it so had wrapped a piece of leather around it and gave it a few twists at different stages of applying heat. But only so much as I didn't want to twist the tenon off either, as by others accounts, the Meucci tenons are rather different. Haha!

I believe the Titan is considered to be fairly light.

I will give it another try and see if I can't get it off to re glue it.

BTW, the ferrule is pure white and no yellow tinge.

I use other cues but for some strange reason, I always come back to this one.

Never a problem with it.

My only logical answer would be humidity. As far as going back to it. People can laugh and poke fun at Meucci all they want. I don't. Bob Meucci is one extremely smart Cue maker.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to ask. Is this shaft a red or black dot because that ferrule set up is different than the regulars.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have no complaints with mine. As others have often wondered, how can a long ferrule as that, be Low Deflection. It just is.

I don't wear my glasses to play as the progressive lenses mess me up, and I can see well enuff to play. With the Black Dot shaft, I can skin an object ball as well or better than any shaft.

I have had a Navigator Tip on it going on for the second pool season. It's a decent tip, but have found that either my own Milk Duds or Dawgs are the best tip for it. So, will be changing that also. That particular shaft just works well with a Dud on it.

Anyway, I have a gun stock that is stripped and ready to be sanded, so will turn the heater on in the small shop and put the shaft in the lathe and give it a whirl.

Thanks Michael.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PM sent

Terry,
PM me at your convenience.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If you didn't melt the ferrule when you heated it, you probably didn't get it hot enough to degrade the glue.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Good point Sheldon. But as the same with removing a pin or insert, I apply heat at different stages and not all at once.

So will try again and apply heat for longer periods.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was not ABS that Meucci used and they changed formula a few times through the years. The High Action material I sell is the best replacement for Meucci ferrules if you want the slight yellow color and the high action hit. Bob now has a white material and I have no idea what it is. Some Meucci ferrules are threaded and some are not. But I would replace it with solid capped 5/16-18 thread. The hit is almost identical and it holds up much better.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to purposely divert this thread but while on the subject of Meucci plastics I have an early 90's gambler and it has the ivory points. The white points have a nice grain to them that closely resembles ivory, does anyone know what kind of plastic they used?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
CC, mine is a Power Piston, or, PP 2. It has a nice grain in the Butt Sleeve.

There is a place that sold nice materials, slabs and such for knife and gun scales.
They had some of it. If not mistaken, Jim Baxter told me that was where he got some of his material for Joint Protectors.

Faux Ivory. I know that I have it Book Marked. See if I can find it again.

Masecraft. Not saying that this is what Bob used. Seems to have a lot of decent materials here.

http://masecraftsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Alternative-Ivory-col849TM_c_268.html

Last edited: