why would snooker player come to pool ?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd imagine 500 of something is harder to get than 100 of something.

It isn't rocket spelling.

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i often wonder why snooker players would come to pool.is it because they cant make it as snooker players or is it something else. here a link to the top 10 paid in snooker last year 10 starting at over 100k usa to 500k usa being number 1. here a link to the players and pay. http://www.therichest.com/sports/other-sports/top-10-highest-earning-snooker-players-in-2013-14/

Snooker requires extremely high discipline and focus, good health, good sleep habits, good diet to maintain focus during a match, regular exercise, so as pro pool but not as much.
So, as a snooker players get older body health deteriorate and focus power lacks, they turn to pool which seem to be easier to focus on due to the larger size and different cut pockets.

Alex P is going the other way pool to snooker, IMO, it is extremely difficult, since i heard he has some medical condition; unfortunately, it will take its toll on him! i hope he pulls it through..

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't come to pool...they make cameo appearances in exhibitions and promotional matches, with the Mosconi Cup being the only real competition the top players of snooker have ever entered, and that has changed with the standard of pool players in Europe becoming better and better than the snooker players at the game. Top snooker players will never do what Alex P has done, simply because the money isn't worth their while. Even the lesser snooker players earn more than the top pool players excluding a select group of the elite pool players.

What you tend to see is English pool players taking up the American version, such as Daz. If you think American pool is in a bad state in terms of payouts and player earning the English variant is even worse. Some ex snooker pros like Drago have taken to pool later in life, and played at a decent-ish level. Nothing that's going to worry the top 50 pool players but then again, he's past his prime.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't come to pool...they make cameo appearances in exhibitions and promotional matches, with the Mosconi Cup being the only real competition the top players of snooker have ever entered, and that has changed with the standard of pool players in Europe becoming better and better than the snooker players at the game. Top snooker players will never do what Alex P has done, simply because the money isn't worth their while. Even the lesser snooker players earn more than the top pool players excluding a select group of the elite pool players.

What you tend to see is English pool players taking up the American version, such as Daz. If you think American pool is in a bad state in terms of payouts and player earning the English variant is even worse. Some ex snooker pros like Drago have taken to pool later in life, and played at a decent-ish level. Nothing that's going to worry the top 50 pool players but then again, he's past his prime.

Spot on. I think a lot of English pool players are mistakenly classed as snooker players when they make the jump to American pool (Appleton and Jayson Shaw are two good examples of this).