Schons are what end cues?

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another way to look at cues

Are schons considered mid-high end cues? How do you define if a cue is low, mid or high end cue? Do list some examples of production and custom cues in each range. Thanks

Schon sells like 8 levels. level 2 level 3 level 4 level 5 level 6 one of a kind ,and elite . pm sent Please buy this bk ( Blue book of cues) by Brad Simpson. it gives you values for used cues. from a few cuemakers .

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Schon Cues

I am a Schon dealer and I don't care what current Schon you take off the rack, if it was made by Evan it should play similar to any other current Schon cue be it a STL1 or Unique. They are all cored and all have the same shafts and ferrules unless you get ivory. If you want a Schon PM me for pricing shipped with PayPal payment.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I look at it Schon is similar to Rolex in the watch world. They are both top quality, relatively expensive products that delivery a high level of performance and consistency. They are generally very well regarded, but they are certainly not at the top echelon of the available options.

In cues we have Szamboti, Black Boar, Gina, SW, etc. and it would be hard to argue that those are not on a different level than Schon. Same thing in watches. Rolex is nice but it's certainly not a high end Patek Phillipe, A Lange and Sohne, Jaeger LeCoultre, or Audemars Piguet.

That isn't to say a Schon can't perform just as well as those other cues or that a Rolex won't keep time as well as those other watches, they absolutely will. There are other intangible factors that come into play along with some degree of limited supply, and more involved construction techniques that are used that do not necessarily have a direct effect on performance.

I like Schon and Rolex, very solid and reliably high quality products.

And, if you are looking for a Schon, definitely contact Shooter08...I'm glad I did and would recommend him highly.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep my Wilson Combat in my BMW Z4 to protect my "high end, med-high, med, and low end" cues on pool night.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
schon sells more cues over $2000 than any cue maker in the world

They also sell cues that cost less than $1000 on 80% of their cues,maybe 90&

Laurie gets about $2000 bon her cheapest model

Barry gets over $5000 on the basic cues
Jake Hulcy claims not to be a cue maker and his truly one of a kind far out Picasso
styles are getting way up over $10,000

You decide whats high end for yourself

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think rather than me pontificating as I've been accused of doing, ,

with all due respect mr bavafongoul
how a cue plays has nothing to do with all the intricate and number of inlays.
the fact that you can pick your wood /design/ weight balance and all doesnt make your cue play "better"
because in someone elses hands it might play like sh*t
it might look "better" but that too is
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
of course you pay a price for being able to control your options and the fact that the number of cues available by said custom cuemaker
is lower thus decreased supply usually means increased price

all that being said
for the op if selling point is your definition for high/mid/low end cues
as mentioned schon is in the upper end of production cue prices
yet even at $2000 for one of schons more expensive cues
barely gets him to mid level with custom cues
high end customs from cuemakers still making cues would be szamboti/black boar/searing to name a few there are more
mid range would be murrell/nitti(a favorite of mine for great quality for the price)/ to name a couple
for customs schon in the higher end and joss i think of more in the mid range
i dont keep up with production cues much so i cant be of more help

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
with all due respect mr bavafongoul
how a cue plays has nothing to do with all the intricate and number of inlays.
the fact that you can pick your wood /design/ weight balance and all doesnt make your cue play "better"
because in someone elses hands it might play like sh*t
it might look "better" but that too is
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
of course you pay a price for being able to control your options and the fact that the number of cues available by said custom cuemaker
is lower thus decreased supply usually means increased price

all that being said
for the op if selling point is your definition for high/mid/low end cues
as mentioned schon is in the upper end of production cue prices
yet even at $2000 for one of schons more expensive cues
barely gets him to mid level with custom cues
high end customs from cuemakers still making cues would be szamboti/black boar/searing to name a few there are more
mid range would be murrell/nitti(a favorite of mine for great quality for the price)/ to name a couple
for customs schon in the higher end and joss i think of more in the mid range
i dont keep up with production cues much so i cant be of more help

If there one thing I've learned from threads like these, it's that bavafongoul will over debate and over complicate any question having to do with cues.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say a Schon is a good high end commercial cue. The ones I have played with play well. My only hit on them and and any custom is with rounded points.

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
Not really the first question about that...or?

Dear zilemok,
Just that there isn't any misunderstanding. I neither want to offend you, nor is my statement here below against you, or anything else personal!

I'm an AZB-Member since 2 months only and I'm quit sure that till now, I've already read 10 or more threads, about what kind of Cues Schons are. But I think the real sad thing about it, is that on every thread like this, you a few wise members, knowing everything about anything better than anyone else and there are also the other ones, who are always repeating the same answers!
I'm sorry, but am I really the only one who feels like this?

Of course you can read as many replies you want to, on one or more threads of that "little" selection, here below:
- Schons are what end cues? (Cue Reviews) 29 replies
- What makes a Joss or Schon worth the $$$$ (Cue Reviews) 16 replies
- Jacoby, Schon, or other (Custom) Cue? (Cue Reviews) 30 replies
- Schon VS Predator (Cue Reviews) 11 replies
- Poll: Schon VS. Mezz Poll (Cue Reviews) 46 replies
- What production cue is your favourite? (Main Forum) 56 replies
- Schon hit? (Wanted/For Sale) 39 replies
I'm sure if you need more and you would search a little, you'll find many more about the same theme!

IMO to all those who really care about what kind of Cues Schons are, I sincerely propose:
Go to a billiard supply reseller, who has a waste choice of Schon Cues! Choose one or more Schons and take a close and sharp look on the woods and the other materials, their colours and contrasts, the Irish linen or leather wrap and if there are some Inlays, on their designs, sizes and forms and how they're matching together. On the points, the veneers and the ring works too. But especially on how precise and clean all these works have been accomplished! Finally play a few racks with one of them!
Then you could decide yourself, to what end cues Schons belong!

KR, Al Capool

Last edited:

flufly da killa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
theres sm med large schon is by themselves XTRA MEDIUM...THERE THE REASON YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT YRS FOR A BADASS PLAYIN CUE AND WHEN YOU DONEWITH IT YOU CAN SELL IT FOR ALMOST WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT YR LATER

Last edited: