Pool table in 2 story house

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for some input.

I'll be moving to Phoenix area next year, and most houses we've been looking at online have been 2 story.

What's the feasibility of putting a pool table on the 2nd story of a house? Not so much getting it up stairs, but is it a good idea? Will the 1st floor ceiling joists support it? Can there be any movement that could pop the seams on a 3-piece slate?

I have a 9' Diamond ProAm with 1-piece slate now, but sadly it won't be making the move.

Thanks,
Mike

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for some input.

I'll be moving to Phoenix area next year, and most houses we've been looking at online have been 2 story.

What's the feasibility of putting a pool table on the 2nd story of a house? Not so much getting it up stairs, but is it a good idea? Will the 1st floor ceiling joists support it? Can there be any movement that could pop the seams on a 3-piece slate?

I have a 9' Diamond ProAm with 1-piece slate now, but sadly it won't be making the move.

Thanks,
Mike

The floor system will carry the load of a pool table but you will likely have some movement as you move around the table and play. A residential floor system is required to carry a 40 pound live load which is everything not part of the building with an exception for sleeping rooms which can be reduced to 30 pounds of live load. This is more than enough to support the table as a table occupies approximately 60 square feet which would be approximately 1800 t0 2400 pounds.

The problem is this loading is based on an allowable deflection of L/360 which means for every 360 inches away from the bearing points you are it allows 1 inch of deflection. So you get some vibration and likely some roll you won't like

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
In phoenix rarely find a solid floor for a table last two i put in floor flexes a bunch ball will move a good diamond spaces. Thats in the new homes older homes may have the older joist design but new style sucks for tables.