Cue Weight

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity,how many of the folks who post here and play regularly use a heavier(19.6+) cue? I realize that with the faster cloth used today that cues are generally lighter than those of yesteryear but it seems the more players i talk with(including some really strong players) there are still some weighty cues in use out there.Thanks,M.S.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My preference is about 18.5 oz with a Talisman Pro Soft tip with a dime radius.

Troy...~~~ More info than you requested... :)
whiteoak said:
Just out of curiosity,how many of the folks who post here and play regularly use a heavier(19.6+) cue? I realize that with the faster cloth used today that cues are generally lighter than those of yesteryear but it seems the more players i talk with(including some really strong players) there are still some weighty cues in use out there.Thanks,M.S.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whiteoak said:

I use a 21 ounce cue. A lot of people who try my
cue can't believe that anyone would use one so
heavy, but light cues just don't feel right to me.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many have said before, the balance of a cue is usually of more consequence to the player than weight.

My Dayton is forward-balanced, weighed 19.5 oz, yet it feels heavier than my Skip, which is less forward but more evenly balanced and weighed in at 19.8, 19.9.

I was very surprised at seeing the Skip's weight on a scale, it really felt closer to 19.5 or under...

-Roger

pooltime

Cue Repair | Cue Sales
Silver Member
I had the fortune of picking up a Jerry Franklin Southwest, new, back in 1992 and it is 22 oz.... yes 22! I had never shot with anything over 19.5 at the time, but the cue is so well balanced that I quickly got used to it. Besides the 5 year break I took from the game, I shot with that cue exclusively for the better part of 7+ years from '92 to '04 until recently when I decided to just put the cue away for now.

I picked up a Capone at 18.9 oz and it has been a little transition, but again this cue is very well balanced and the learning curve was quick. I also, just 2 weeks ago, got a Skip Weston at 19.5 oz that has an ebony forearm, so the cue is a touch forward weighted compared to the Capone, so the difference in the 2 cues feels a little more than the .6 oz. But the Skip hits super strong also and plays terrific.

I guess what I'm saying is that as long as the cue is well balanced, the weight of the cue can be overcome, but if the weight is poorly distributed, I don't care if it is at "your" perfect weight - the cue will not hit well.