Who else was at california billiards yesterday?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a fu#king blast over there. i didn't even play in the tournament i just hit some balls with cyrex and sweated the tournament/action.

i finally got to meet tommie1351 which was pretty cool to put a face to the name/cues. all in all i saw jeff gregory (forgot his az handle), cyrex, and blah blah (i think but i didn't want to look like a jerk so i didn't say hi....sorry if it was you)

you wouldn't believe the rolls cyrex got in one of his matches!!!! it was real cool seeing santos sambajon in person. i didn't even do anything cool i just got to see pool played well and it really refreshed my want to play.

sorry if this thread board anyone

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Well now you're only 130 miles from Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento.

California Billiards Club is one of the premier rooms in the Bay Area. A great place for pocket billiards, drink and food. The layout is fantastic.

There were at least 6 players from the Sacramento area.
Not everyone is on AZ Billiards. Jeff Gregory is now living in the Sacramento area.

Blah Blah text'd me with some info while she was there. I never did find out if Rafael Martinez was there. He had just finished playing Roberto Gomez the last few days extended races and I was trying to find out the results. Last I had heard Roberto was ahead.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cali

It was good seeing you. I'm dragging you out to play more pool! And especially since you got that sweeeeeeet Gilbert. I was really surprised by the turn out at the tournament. The bay area has been hurting on the pool scene and it was good to see the support. Especially to see some world champs in the house. The kid, Roberto 'Superman' Gomez has an insane stroke and so much knowledge already. I was watching him and Deo practice a bank then carom shot back off the cue ball that was pretty crazy.

Always good to see Tommie and Mike also. They usually have some beautiful cues with them. And Mike is playing in the money today so congrats to him. Flyingsnail was in the house. I also got to meet Zirroe and check out his incredible Kent Davis cue. Cool that him and his buddies made it up from SoCal.

I got there at 11:30am and left at 1:30am! And the place was still packed! They announced that action games could be played all night. Gonna be some hurting pool players today.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well now you're only 130 miles from Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento.

California Billiards Club is one of the premier rooms in the Bay Area. A great place for pocket billiards, drink and food. The layout is fantastic.

There were at least 6 players from the Sacramento area.
Not everyone is on AZ Billiards. Jeff Gregory is now living in the Sacramento area.

Blah Blah text'd me with some info while she was there. I never did find out if Rafael Martinez was there. He had just finished playing Roberto Gomez the last few days extended races and I was trying to find out the results. Last I had heard Roberto was ahead.

from what i heard rafael lost 2 sets at the jointed cue. but i wasn't there so that's just word of mouth

roberto gomez was there and if i remember right he was still on the winners side

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never did find out if Rafael Martinez was there. He had just finished playing Roberto Gomez the last few days extended races and I was trying to find out the results. Last I had heard Roberto was ahead.

Tom,
No Rafael Martinez at the tourney. And Roberto beat him both sets. Honorable mention has to be seeing Tony Chohan at the tourney. He looked good and was in positive spirits. He's got a lot of supporters in his corner just being his friend.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was good seeing you. I'm dragging you out to play more pool! And especially since you got that sweeeeeeet Gilbert. I was really surprised by the turn out at the tournament. The bay area has been hurting on the pool scene and it was good to see the support. Especially to see some world champs in the house. The kid, Roberto 'Superman' Gomez has an insane stroke and so much knowledge already. I was watching him and Deo practice a bank then carom shot back off the cue ball that was pretty crazy.

Always good to see Tommie and Mike also. They usually have some beautiful cues with them. And Mike is playing in the money today so congrats to him. Flyingsnail was in the house. I also got to meet Zirroe and check out his incredible Kent Davis cue. Cool that him and his buddies made it up from SoCal.

I got there at 11:30am and left at 1:30am! And the place was still packed! They announced that action games could be played all night. Gonna be some hurting pool players today.

watching those guys play 1 hole was crazy. don't normally see that much intensity in people when they play 1 pocket. now i have an idea of how it's supposed to be played.....

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1p

Yeah, that was some good 1P playing. Hugo and I believe his name is Tim. Great shotmaking and defense. Hugo was making some incredible take out shots. Tim was just sinking them from all over too. $100 per game. Looked like it was going to be a long night for both of them.

floppybear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a fu#king blast over there. i didn't even play in the tournament i just hit some balls with cyrex and sweated the tournament/action.

i finally got to meet tommie1351 which was pretty cool to put a face to the name/cues. all in all i saw jeff gregory (forgot his az handle), cyrex, and blah blah (i think but i didn't want to look like a jerk so i didn't say hi....sorry if it was you)

you wouldn't believe the rolls cyrex got in one of his matches!!!! it was real cool seeing santos sambajon in person. i didn't even do anything cool i just got to see pool played well and it really refreshed my want to play.

sorry if this thread board anyone

Yeah, it was like a pool hustler's convention! lol! Lot's of players who I haven't seen in years (including me) showed up at California Billiards. It's good to see a bunch of AZ guys out there! Yeah, Tommie had a s#itload of cues...I especially liked the clean Joss West he was showing. I ended up doing a trade with Mike for his GoldRush :)

Anyone got updates on the tournament?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cali B

Just got home from the tourney. My boy Freddy snapped it off but it was a tough finals. Alex came out firing in balls from everywhere! He won the first round (double elimination) so it went into the last set. But Freddy hung in there and won the next set 8-6. And just for a kicker.... Freddy won the tournament playing with a house stick the whole time!

I really liked the Gold Rush cue that Michael was playing with. Tommie always has some great cues with him. I picked up a really nice dealer case from them.

Was a really good tournament with a nice turn out. I was really impressed with John Morra's game. Fantastic ball control and unbelievably disciplined shot routine. And very very accurate. Reminded me a lot of Souquet's style of play. I'm sure he will be in the top ranks some day.

Santos and Chohan played a few games of 1P. Santos was playing strong and took it pretty convincingly.

All in all.. was a great weekend of pool and friends.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got home from the tourney. My boy Freddy snapped it off but it was a tough finals. Alex came out firing in balls from everywhere! He won the first round (double elimination) so it went into the last set. But Freddy hung in there and won the next set 8-6. And just for a kicker.... Freddy won the tournament playing with a house stick the whole time!

I really liked the Gold Rush cue that Michael was playing with. Tommie always has some great cues with him. I picked up a really nice dealer case from them.

Was a really good tournament with a nice turn out. I was really impressed with John Morra's game. Fantastic ball control and unbelievably disciplined shot routine. And very very accurate. Reminded me a lot of Souquet's style of play. I'm sure he will be in the top ranks some day.

Santos and Chohan played a few games of 1P. Santos was playing strong and took it pretty convincingly.

How'd they play? what were they playing for?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Santos Chohan

They were playing on another table during the finals so I didn't watch their games too much. It was Chohan giving 1 to Santos (their normal action). From what I understand, Santos got 6 games on him. I really don't know how much they were playing for. Some people said $2000 and some people said $100/game.

floppybear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL, That's the my old Goldrush cue I traded him on Friday! Now I think I got the sour end of the deal...j/k. That cue plays really solid. I traded him that GR cue for another GR cue, which plays just as good and much stiffer. I hope he made good money with that cue!

blah blah

Shoebat
There was a tournament at CB this past weekend? Had no clue.

It was a $50 entry usppa d/e race to 8 both sides tourney. Wasn't advertised anywhere I saw, but seemed to just go by word of mouth... It wasn't even on the websites for either CB OR usppa. Amazing it got as many players as it did!

I had a great time. Saw lots of people, and missed many old faces, too.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
It was a $50 entry usppa d/e race to 8 both sides tourney. Wasn't advertised anywhere I saw, but seemed to just go by word of mouth... It wasn't even on the websites for either CB OR usppa. Amazing it got as many players as it did!

I had a great time. Saw lots of people, and missed many old faces, too.

Ah! That 'splains it! No USPPA for me.

blah blah

Shoebat
I gave up...

..and called California Billiard Club to ask for the final four finishers. The people who work there are generally very friendly, professional, and extremely knowledgable. The guy who answers phone is esp nice and happy to talk. Thank you!

I only asked for the 1st place payout- sorry.

1st Fred Stanfield $1800
2nd Alex Almendral
3rd Tony Nelson
4th John Morra

Sorry for the misspellings.

Me, I left late Sat night, got home to Sac even later, slept, and spent all Sunday doing non pool related things.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How'd they play? what were they playing for?
I heard that it was 8-7, race to 6 for $2000. With the game score at 0-5 and Santos needing one to win the game and the set, Tony played a beautiful 2-cushion long bank to the center of the pocket. Unfortunately, it was the wrong pocket.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..and called California Billiard Club to ask for the final four finishers. The people who work there are generally very friendly, professional, and extremely knowledgable. The guy who answers phone is esp nice and happy to talk. Thank you!

I only asked for the 1st place payout- sorry.

1st Fred Stanfield $1800
2nd Alex Almendral
3rd Tony Nelson
4th John Morra

Sorry for the misspellings.

Me, I left late Sat night, got home to Sac even later, slept, and spent all Sunday doing non pool related things.

Thanks BB. I know second place was $1000.