Ripped off?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
paypal will force the seller to refund for reasons as vague as " item not as described" as long as F & F option isn't used

how many times???????????before it sinks in

protect your interests if you don't KNOW who your doing biz with

Damn. Sorry to hear.

I know the used market is real shady in regards to description. Pricing? That's another story. I've seen some cues here that have dings and dents on the cue but it shows on the picture but the seller doesn't describe it on his listing. Your incident reminds me of those transactions, where there are pictures and you can see or not see for yourself and once you buy they can say you saw the pictures.This is why I don't buy used. You may be stuck with it.

Did you get pictures? He probably sold it in good faith but people's description of cues vary. He thinks its mint and you think its fair condition.

Yeah, that is the thing. Opinion vary, so a very picky buyer should ask for really good picks, or a really good video.

Good pics and a good description of all flaws, if dealing with a cue of that high of a value.

So Nick gets the cue ( Day 1) and tells the seller it is pretty but he’ll give it a closer examination tomorrow (Day 2).

The next day (Day 2) after examining the cue, Nick informs the seller the cue isn’t right. I am confident he provided details why the cue wasn’t as described.

(Day 3) After considering the cue’s condition and probably what it might need to meet Nick’s standards that are pretty high, Nick informs the seller that he is returning the cue because it is not as the seller described. If it had been paid for using Paypal as a purchase, Nick could open a buyer complaint and the seller would be denied payment until the matter either gets resolved or else the transaction rescinded with a refund coming back to Nick.

Nick is busy and does not just sit at home waiting for a cue to arrive. And when it does, he acknowledged receipt and said he’d check it out tomorrow. Nick did not reveal details of what was wrong with the cue or how the cue was incompatible with the seller’s description that Nick relied upon when he purchased the cue or what it would cost to repair the flaws that he shouldn’t have to repair or pay for.

IMO, Nick Serdula is a stand up guy and if he says the cue ain’t right or the seller exaggerated or incorrectly described the cue, then I tend to side with Nick til his assertion is proven wrong. Obviously, a description of the cue that the seller offered and pictures of what’s wrong would make this easier to understand but for now I am in Nick’s corner unless or until facts suggest otherwise.

Nick is a very nice, and honest buyer. He purchased an It's George case from me, and sent me a personal check through the mail. I did not have a bank account, but was able to cash it, because it was a major bank, that was also local to me. Anyways, I sent him the case, and he was happy with it.

Really nice guy. Just old school, about the way he pays for items though.

I assume that the seller thought that there was nothing that Nick could do, if he did send a check.

When ever sending payments through the mail, I always liked getting a Postal Service money order, if the seller would not accept paypal, because at least with those, you can file a Fraud report through the Postal Inspector.

I am not sure if anything can be done with a Personal Check Payment.

Last edited:
Just a question here- I have bought four custom cues from guys here on AZ and no problems. I do notice that sellers here ask for F&F paypal payment or the buyers add a percentage to the agreed upon price. If someone pays F&F; I understand that one cannot dispute a purchase with pay pal. However, one can use a credit card for ANY pay pal payment, and laws will allow one to dispute a payment within 60 days via your credit card, even if you cannot dispute through pay pal because you paid via F&F. So I ask, why would anyone spend $2,000 for any online purchase WITHOUT either paying via regular pay pal with buyer protection and spend the extra % for the fee; OR make sure you have your most trusted credit card as your payment mechanism within your pay pal account?

It is ALWAYS buyer beware, so I think ALWAYS pay with some form of legal protection- either regular pay pal ( even if you absorb the fee) or a credit card backup on your pay pal. Without either; you can get into the situation as the OP describes above- sorry to hear- hope it resolves for you.

Several months ago, I purchased a cheap cue for like $50, and paid through paypal via paypal invoice (so Goods and Services). The seller never shipped, so I filed a paypal complaint. Then about a week later, the seller refunded me, but it was through her bank account. She had no money, or not enough money for the refund in her bank, so the refund failed. Called paypal up, and they told me that they tried, but nothing could be done to get me a refund, and that I should try to get a Chargeback through my credit card company. I used a prepaid debit card though, so that was not an option.

Long story short, I was eventually able to get a refund, by talking to whoever had the most power over in customer service, but it was such a pain to get that refund, and I had called back so many times, about once a week, that I had almost given up any hope of getting my money back.

And this was just $50 that paypal was giving me so much trouble over, on the refund.

Point is, that if paypal is unable to get that money back from the sellers account, or bank account, then they have no other way to help you with getting your money back.

I will never pay any seller through paypal again, unless I know they are an honest seller, and I have references, because Goods and Services payment is no protection either. Paypal does not hold that money from the seller. The seller can withdraw it, and spend it as soon as you send them that money.

The cue was described as dead straight. It is a big banana. Bananas! Big banana. Could be worse. A few stick pimps want it.as described. I might loose a couple two-three hundred. I have to ask. The logic here.of the seller you bought just what you wanted to. Forget he lied his azz off about the straight thing. And if you work for a living three days is normal return time period some even as long as 30 days. He agreed all the time . No problem let me know. Then oh your money? I don't have it.

Wow, that is horrible. I wonder how bad the warp is in the butt. I heard that warps are very hard, and very expensive to repair, and not guaranteed to be perfect after the repair.

It's probably a good rule of thumb to know who you're doing business with on here, and second to check their itrader rating and any remarks from people who have done business with this person. People can say anything online and if their word is no good it means nothing.

If I sell anyone a cue on here, it is fully understood they can return it for any reason and get a full refund, with the only caveat being a reasonable length of time, like up to one week. Of all the cues and other billiard merchandise I've sold on here I've had exactly one person who was unhappy with a shaft they got from me. He wanted me to either pay for a replacement shaft or pay him $100, and I was not willing to do either one. I told him he could send the cue (with both shafts) back to me for a full refund. He kept the cue. I've also bought several cues and cases on here over the years and never returned one of them yet.

That reminds me of one time when I sold a really nice Schon with 2 shafts on ebay. I did not realize that one of the 2 shafts was warped, but felt that the buyer got the cue for such a low price anyways (which was around $400, for a Schon that most sellers would have asked a lot more money for), that I would rather have the buyer send the cue back to me for a full refund, then to send him a $100 to try to find a replacement shaft for the warped one. So, I only offered a full refund, if he sent the cue back to me, and he decided to keep the cue. It is one of those things that I still feel really bad about, but I felt like the buyer still got a great deal on the cue, even with 1 straight shaft, so I was only willing to offer a full refund.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That reminds me of one time when I sold a really nice Schon with 2 shafts on ebay. I did not realize that one of the 2 shafts was warped, but felt that the buyer got the cue for such a low price anyways (which was around $400, for a Schon that most sellers would have asked a lot more money for), that I would rather have the buyer send the cue back to me for a full refund, then to send him a $100 to try to find a replacement shaft for the warped one. So, I only offered a full refund, if he sent the cue back to me, and he decided to keep the cue. It is one of those things that I still feel really bad about, but I felt like the buyer still got a great deal on the cue, even with 1 straight shaft, so I was only willing to offer a full refund.

He kept it because he stole it, and he knew it. Don't feel bad. He was trying to bleed you for money back

Nick sold me a Scruggs one time with supposed 2 original shafts. I got the cue and one shafts was so far from original, or even a Scruggs shaft it wasn’t funny. I told him...he said he put the wrong one in the box, but already sold it and it was tough luck because he gave a great deal.....I have no sympathy.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Unfortunately, a dispute concerning straightness in a cue would be almost impossible to uphold with a credit card company or pay pal dispute. It is very subjective , sometimes even among experienced collectors and players. Of course, and this sounds like one of those cases; where there is no doubt to the buyer that the cue is badly warped . However, the folks at the credit card companies can only go by visual facts and print- they just won't know enough about cues to uphold a straightness dispute on a cue.

Paying with a credit card or Paypal is not like a check, you just can't "stop payment" on it.

Mike is absolutely right about this. Credit card companies and Paypal will cover you under certain circumstances, like for example, an item is not received or is materially misrepresented (ie. fishing pole is actually a toothpick with a string) but satisfaction with the quality of the item is not in play.

If there is a possibility of returning an item, determine the policy in advance. That's the deal you go by. That's your contract. Was Nick taken? Maybe. Not all sellers have an idea of how to check a cue for straightness or even what straight is. The seller should take it back but can't be forced to do so without a court order.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3rd Party Escrow Avoids Lots Of Problems

It is transactions like this that sadly remind me how nice it would be to use a 3rd party escrow to ensure
everything is as described and the cue’s authenticity is confirmed as well. It adds some delay & addt’l
minor out of pocket costs to the buyer but when you are spending $2k, and often times more, the added
expense is well worth it for peace of mind and assurance that the cue passes muster before you get it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
One time I sold a pretty rare Huebler custom shop Ivory Chess cue that was brand new, at a low price. When I was checking it for shipment, I realized it rolled with a pretty bad wop wop- although when I checked beore it was pretty straight. I was horrified and emailed the buyer. He said he still wanted it so I cut the price by a lot. Turned out I had cross threaded the stupid nylon insert. He had it fixed and we were good. But the case that came with it smelled like cherry cigars. That guy still wanted it too. That was one of the worst sales I ever had. The guy was so nice about it, I felt like a total jerk. I offered his money back but he just kept it and tried to get rid of the smell, I guess for several years, but as they say "no cigar".

Sometimes sales are just snakebit.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick sold me a Scruggs one time with supposed 2 original shafts. I got the cue and one shafts was so far from original, or even a Scruggs shaft it wasn’t funny. I told him...he said he put the wrong one in the box, but already sold it and it was tough luck because he gave a great deal.....I have no sympathy.

The world comes full circle

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that one cannot dispute a purchase with pay pal. However, one can use a credit card for ANY pay pal payment, and laws will allow one to dispute a payment within 60 days via your credit card, even if you cannot dispute through pay pal because you paid via F&F.

It is ALWAYS buyer beware, so I think ALWAYS pay with some form of legal protection- either regular pay pal ( even if you absorb the fee) or a credit card backup on your pay pal. Without either; you can get into the situation as the OP describes above- sorry to hear- hope it resolves for you.

I’m not sure a credit card backup works. It normally doesn’t here across the pond. To avail yourself of what we call the Section 75 protection, there has to be a direct creditor-customer-supplier relationship. Paying via an agency is specifically excluded. Paypal is not a supplier but a payment agent so if you are putting in your CC details into paypal to pay, the direct debtor-creditor-supplier relationship is broken and it therefore kicks you out of the s75 mechanism. An exception to this is where a buyer uses Paypal Credit or where a seller uses paypal as an acquirer (which means it acts as a traditional payment processor).

You will have to check the US position on this.

Is there a Financial Ombudsman or similar in the US ?

Even if one paid with a debit card, a chargeback option may still be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member

That's Karma......

Why would anyone use F/F when purchasing a cue through Paypal from an unknown...? Not a real bright choice. I would like to know who the seller was. Is it a secret?

If it was done through FB, I would be damned sure that everyone knew what they are dealing with, with Mr. Banana.:frown:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Yeah, that's about par for the course

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
there is always more to the story when only one side presents it.

but as we all should know it is buyer beware and unless you have it in writing you have no recourse for anything that happens during the sale once you receive the goods.

if what the cue hunter said was entirely accurate then nick got the same as he gave out but worse as he acknowledged his mistake and didnt rectify it. just justified it by saying you got a good deal.

as said do a third party escrow and if you dont,, certainly make the transaction so you have some way to negate it. and if you do f&f with pay pal, you are cheating them and deserve what you get.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Questiion on escrow.

Is the escrow service bonded and are they accountable for errors they may make?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
of course not its just a trusted person or a small company that helps give both parties an unbiased decision. the either party can with draw before the money is sent out.

if they were bonded and responsible you would pay way more than you would want to.

basically if you want to be completely protected buy in person or from a real store.

people buy off the internet from strangers because they are trying to get a steal.
and they pay f&f because they think they can cheat paypal out of their commission for their service to you.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I see.

So in this case, the buyer would have a valued opinion on condition and could decide to proceed or cancel.

Thank you.