Harriman vs Schmidt

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that is the sad part, if they really did play, even with their history, it would be a very low ppv count. Simply because today’s players don’t care about straight pool.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,
You should parlay your Barton money and play John.
What's a fair game? 50 to 400?

Should the day ever come that I need help finding a game or matching up I’ll think of you.

But thanks for your interest in national defense, lol.

Lou Figueroa

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC John stated that he would rather get eaten by a goat and then sh*t off a cliff than play Danny again after their two epic all around match ups.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well that is the sad part, if they really did play, even with their history, it would be a very low ppv count. Simply because today’s players don’t care about straight pool.

You seem to be ignoring the interest Willie’s 526 and John’s 626 has generated on AZ.
I hear the other social medias is tremendous also.
...on AZ, gotta be over 10,000 posts on the 626 alone.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be ignoring the interest Willie’s 526 and John’s 626 has generated on AZ.
I hear the other social medias is tremendous also.
...on AZ, gotta be over 10,000 posts on the 626 alone.

Yeah, but its the same 20 of us making all the posts...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its obvious that John Schmidt's ability to run balls has literally shot through the roof.

What I'm wondering is has his actual 14.1 "game" done the same? If it has, IMO, Herriman would be in trouble.

Is it possible for one to run 626 balls and not have a really, really strong 14.1 match game?

I understand about safeties etc...etc.

It's just that regardless of how well you play safe, "eventually" ....you have to go for a run or not get any points and end up losing the match. At that point, what happens when you dog a ball and your opponent is capable of running 600+ balls.

BTW, I understand the above is a stretch since I was using John's lifetime high run. One could also say, "yeah, but Herriman may run 300+ balls when he gets a shot".

Regardless, I would pay a premium price to see it happen.

Jeff

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running balls at 14.1 under perfect conditions in familiar surroundings for weeks at a time is one thing.

Playing on tough equipment, in strange surroundings, with a ready opponent playing good safeties and firing back at you and keeping you in the chair, in a one off match, is another. If my failing memory is correct, DH has a recorded 351 on a tough table. In fact, the table is so tough that -- because one pocket is totally goofy --he pretty much pulls off this run shooting at just five pockets, occasionally nursing shots at one particular up table pocket. And Danny's record in open competitions against the likes of JS isn't too shabby either.

And then there is the mental game.

Some guys, like Danny, are wired to figuratively punch out their opponent no matter what. Other guys are much weaker mentally and in this regard you'd almost always have to give the edge to Danny -- he knows how to stand up under the heat.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ha ha.

So I'm not of FB, has Schmidt been active there about his run? I know he hasn't posted here in years. I'd bet good money he's been reading the various high run threads though.

John has about 30 or more of his own comments about the run, and critics of the run, here:
https://www.facebook.com/mr400.john.schmidt

Since you (and possibly other AZBers) are understandably wondering, I'll try to answer your question about precisely what knowledge he has (or hasn't) about the various AZB Schmidt high-run threads:

The most current example in that regard, is the fact that John made two somewhat emotional, but not unmerited, sequential posts earlier this AM relating specifically to Danny H. that he has -- I think wisely -- since deleted.

I thought to make two printscreens of today's posts on his FB homepage, but instead I simply made a few notes as I read them, since it seemed very likely (a) a few other AZBers read the posts and perhaps an AZB discussion and/or printscreens would emanate via one of those AZBers, and (b) I fully understood John's impulsive need to vent a bit about some of the more over-the-top advance controversy about the still-unseen run's validity.

FWIW, I'll briefly summarize three relevant elements of what I and likely others had read on FB this AM, before the posts were -- sensibly IMO -- deleted:

-- John only recently (apparently) became fully apprised of Danny's dozens of negative posts and John expressed total puzzlement about Danny's collective posts' true motivation and purpose. He speculated about deep jealousy about the record-breaking run (a run still unproven to a scientific certainty in some quarters). (I'm personally rather certain that he did accomplish the 626 feat that's been publicly described and commendably lauded by many of his peers.)

-- He stated that he has a local friend (very near his CA home city) who would soon be posting a thread (this present one I guess) and via the friend -- Gary Henry of Classic Billiards, it now seems -- publicly issuing John's direct, money-backed challenge to Danny for an all-round competition series against him.

-- John asserted on FB that he hasn't spoken to Danny in 7 years, but had previously won 10 out of 14 matches in a distant heads-up confrontation, and is presently playing even better than ever, (and said can't wait to meet-up again and see what happens). Also said he respects Danny's 14.1 abilities enormously and that Danny is one of the few players in the world today with the very real possibility of exceeding John's 44-plus racks someday, if he chose to try to match or exceed what John did.

I hope others who did read John's above-referenced two now-deleted FB posts will chime in and clarify any misremembering on my part.

My intent is to shed light on the understandable curiosity about the genesis and nature of the challenge that seems to be associated with this thread (and was arousingly teased by the OP's OK-Corral-like opening statement of "Let's settle this."

Arnaldo

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....snip...

And then there is the mental game.

Some guys, like Danny, are wired to figuratively punch out their opponent no matter what. Other guys are much weaker mentally and in this regard you'd almost always have to give the edge to Danny -- he knows how to stand up under the heat.

Lou Figueroa

My favorite story I read about Danny on here is years ago he was gambling with someone when the opponent complained it was cold in the pool room. Danny immediately proceeded to take off his shirt, and played the rest of the set bare skinned from the waist up. I can only imagine what was going on in the opponents head.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its obvious that John Schmidt's ability to run balls has literally shot through the roof.

What I'm wondering is has his actual 14.1 "game" done the same? If it has, IMO, Herriman would be in trouble.

Is it possible for one to run 626 balls and not have a really, really strong 14.1 match game?

I understand about safeties etc...etc.

It's just that regardless of how well you play safe, "eventually" ....you have to go for a run or not get any points and end up losing the match. At that point, what happens when you dog a ball and your opponent is capable of running 600+ balls.

BTW, I understand the above is a stretch since I was using John's lifetime high run. One could also say, "yeah, but Herriman may run 300+ balls when he gets a shot".

Regardless, I would pay a premium price to see it happen.

Jeff

I'm not so sure. I think to make that claim, you'd have to find the averages of all of John's runs in the last few years. Of course we can't do that. But didn't he run the 400 about 15 years ago, and a second 403 or so a couple years later? And he won the US Open about then also, as well as the DCC One Hole. His tournament record is better then than now.

I do believe players slow down a bit as they get older, from both an execution perspective and a determination perspective. John is at the age that is starting to happen, IMO.

I doubt he is any better now than 15 years ago. (And I'd say the same thing about pretty much any player, both pro or amateur, that there game is almost the same from about age 22 to age 45).

Yes, I heard the podcast where John said something clicked in his head when he had that high 400's run a few weeks before hitting the 626. And I read all of the threads too. But if you average his runs across all of his concerted efforts the past 2 years, did they in fact increase as time went on? I'd bet they were about the same.

Another thing you can look at, is all of his run attempts at DCC over the years. Did they increase as the years went on? Again, without knowing the data, I'd hypothesize they were in the same range every year.

Edit: Hell, I bet on John to do well at the US Open earlier this year. I felt he had been playing so well and was in dead punch because of all of the straight pool. And he ended up getting blanked in one or both of his matches. I was shocked.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Shouldn't this really be in that "Threads that you'll never see on AZ."

Really.

All the best,
WW