Bustamante's Break Cue Weight?

MagicMcNamara

Registered
I've looked all over the internet to the best of my ability and I cannot find any information about the weight Buste prefers his break cue to be. I was hoping you fine folks can shed some light on this for me. I know his playing cue is 21oz.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've looked all over the internet to the best of my ability and I cannot find any information about the weight Buste prefers his break cue to be. I was hoping you fine folks can shed some light on this for me. I know his playing cue is 21oz.

Approx 5-6 years ago I played a few sets with Busty at Sandcastle in NJ and, no, I didn't win. ;)

We talked about a number of things that day and because he was one of the top breakers of all time, I did ask a few questions about that.

Bottom line, Busty said he prefers to use lighter break cues because, for him, speed was the key and taking it one step further, he said he likes to bring his rear hand forward a little (choke up) to add even more speed.

I didn't get his preferred break cue weight, just "lighter".

best,
brian kc

MagicMcNamara

Registered
That must've been a great experience to be able to play a legend like him. I was looking through a bunch of old posts and any interview with Busty that I could find and I found the weight he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3nY89tBQyg

He and Archer talk about their cues in this video, Archer says his player is 19.5oz and his breaker is 20oz. Bustamante says his player is 21oz and his breaker is 20oz as well. Just thought I would leave this here in case anybody in the future is looking to see what two of the greatest breakers of all time use. I find information like this very interesting, I feel there's always a method to their madness and obviously they don't just throw a random weight in without reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must've been a great experience to be able to play a legend like him. I was looking through a bunch of old posts and any interview with Busty that I could find and I found the weight he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3nY89tBQyg

He and Archer talk about their cues in this video, Archer says his player is 19.5oz and his breaker is 20oz. Bustamante says his player is 21oz and his breaker is 20oz as well. Just thought I would leave this here in case anybody in the future is looking to see what two of the greatest breakers of all time use. I find information like this very interesting, I feel there's always a method to their madness and obviously they don't just throw a random weight in without reason.
Most players use a lighter break cue. More speed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Most players use a lighter break cue. More speed.

I broke with a 17 oz for a while....but the love affair wore off....
...it might’ve been a stiffer shaft that I liked.
I usually break with a 19 or 20....broke with a 22 for a while...but a friend liked it as a
playing cue.

9-ball was my default game...if it had been my favorite...I think I would’ve went heavier.
...but it would take some getting used to...I’ve owned a 25 oz...and tried a 26.
I feel if they were better balanced and I committed to 9-ball, I would’ve learned them.

A guy in Akron used to make 26 oz break cues with a pipe fitting for a joint....
...and he could make a lotta balls on the break...but he was very strong.

I feel you could get more value out of a heavy one, the extra weight over rules the extra
speed...picture a rowboat and a tugboat hitting a dock...the heavier one will do more damage....even if they both hit at at the same speed.

The WPA and some leagues have no minimum weight for a cue....
...but they have a maximum....25 ounces....maybe they know something.

But I’ll stick to my lighter weights

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

28.5oz .

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
And remember when trying to accurately duplicate a Bustamante break, you must come completely off the ground and kick yourself in the ass. :grin: