Looking for a high deflection (e.g., maple) shaft

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I currently have a fairly new classic OB2+ shaft that I don't want to use - i've gone back to my maple McDermott shaft that came with my Lucky cue - and I love it. Before I buy another one as a spare, would anyone recommend any other brands? I'd like to keep my OB butt so i'm looking for a shaft that fits a 3/8 x 10 joint, specifically.

Oh, and is there a place on this forum to sell used shafts? Or should I just use ebay?

Thanks!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Wanted / For sale section here on the forum for trading, I'm sure you'll find it by reading through the different subforums :smile:

If you are from the US there are many cue makers that can make you shaft for your cue, some may even have some at hand already. I would have recommend having the shaft made by a reputable cue maker. There are several members here on AzB that can make a shaft to your liking that will surely be much better quality than most of the no name ebay shafts :smile:

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the same boat - I switched off of LD and wanted a basic maple shaft for 3/8-10.

First I went to J&J - they had some for 45 bucks I think, but the one they sent was straight, but threaded on wobbly. I called them, first they said "just reface the joint" which is ridiculous to put that on me, but anyway it was the threads. After some resistance, they called me back and confirmed the entire lot of shafts they had just received from overseas, all had unsquarely cut threads. Serves me right - sent it back, lesson learned.

Still a cheapskate, I found this one at Ozone, and it was great. It served me well for a couple years - no issues with joint finish, or ferrule.
I'd have preferred a solid black ring, but for $85, I couldn't complain.
https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/mcdermott-shaft-3-8-x-10-black-collar-with-gold-ring

Good luck.

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the same boat - I switched off of LD and wanted a basic maple shaft for 3/8-10.

First I went to J&J - they had some for 45 bucks I think, but the one they sent was straight, but threaded on wobbly. I called them, first they said "just reface the joint" which is ridiculous to put that on me, but anyway it was the threads. After some resistance, they called me back and confirmed the entire lot of shafts they had just received from overseas, all had unsquarely cut threads. Serves me right - sent it back, lesson learned.

Still a cheapskate, I found this one at Ozone, and it was great. It served me well for a couple years - no issues with joint finish, or ferrule.
I'd have preferred a solid black ring, but for $85, I couldn't complain.
https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/mcdermott-shaft-3-8-x-10-black-collar-with-gold-ring

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice - but can't you buy the whole McDermott cue from online vendors for like $40?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice - but can't you buy the whole McDermott cue from online vendors for like $40?

$40?
I'll buy all the real McDermott cues you can find for that price,not their sub brands made in China.
Your Lucky cue is just a cheap sub brand made in China.

Lockbox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$40?
I'll buy all the real McDermott cues you can find for that price,not their sub brands made in China.
Your Lucky cue is just a cheap sub brand made in China.

And, surprisingly enough, that cheap sub brand shaft is helping me out-shoot some of the long-time veterans at my local pool hall. ymmv.

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is for real and they make good business decisionsfor their customers to get their products right. Best value for the dollar for LD custom shaft. They play great.