Us open 10 ball

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Break and runout from Shane to win the 2018 U.S. Open 10-Ball Championship over Alex Pagulayan 11-2!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is no match for Kaci. He steamrolled Dennis. May as well been playing an amateur. Then again, if he improves like most young pros do, he will be making quick work out of most all players.

I'm sure Dennis O is not use to that but he better get use to it. Mr. 8pack is gonna be even stronger than efren at his peak.

Good time to be a pool player or fan, no matter which side of fence your own.

When Orcullo is playing well he can hang with Anybody in world

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Van Boening won both the semifinal and final matches easily -- 9-3 vs. Ellerman and 11-2 vs. Pagulayan.

In those 2 matches, he was successful on 12 of 13 breaks, won 12 of 13 games on his break, broke and ran 6 of 13 (6 of 12 on successful breaks).

He played really well.

Edit -- oops, I see some game-by-game reporting has already been done.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Van Boening won both the semifinal and final matches easily -- 9-3 vs. Ellerman and 11-2 vs. Pagulayan.

He was successful on 12 of 13 breaks, won 12 of 13 games on his break, broke and ran 6 of 13 (6 of 12 on successful breaks).

He played really well.

He pocketed a ton of balls in that final match, and made only three errors that I counted: He missed a cross-corner bank on the 1, missed the 2 in the corner, and hooked himself going from the 1 to the 2.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is no match for Kaci. He steamrolled Dennis. May as well been playing an amateur. Then again, if he improves like most young pros do, he will be making quick work out of most all players.

I'm sure Dennis O is not use to that but he better get use to it. Mr. 8pack is gonna be even stronger than efren at his peak.

You got get the Fat Lady off your face. You're suffocating and losing oxygen to the brain :sorry:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually much more enjoy watching shane in action playing 1p.

10b becomes too much of a breaking contest.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He pocketed a ton of balls in that final match, and made only three errors that I counted: He missed a cross-corner bank on the 1, missed the 2 in the corner, and hooked himself going from the 1 to the 2.

I've got him for 10 balls on his 6 successful breaks (1 dry) -- 1 ball 4 times, 2 balls once, and 4 balls once. For errors, he also missed the 2-ball in Game 4.

But however we count ................ terrific play!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dont get me wrong, dennis is one of best in the world but kaci is but a kid, wait till he has a few more years of experience under his belt.

Kaci is gonna be another effing but maybe even stronger.

We'll see in time.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've got him for 10 balls on his 6 successful breaks (1 dry) -- 1 ball 4 times, 2 balls once, and 4 balls once. For errors, he also missed the 2-ball in Game 4.

But however we count ................ terrific play!

I missed game 4, so that error doesn't count!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You got get the Fat Lady off your face. You're suffocating and losing oxygen to the brain :sorry:

Fat lady line is funny. I use it all the time.

As for Dennis and Kaci, well, dennis has seen his peak, Kaci is just a whippersnapper that is handing out a55 whippings like no tomorrow and will without a doubt get even stronger with time/experience.

I respect Dennis' game, trust me, the man has been a beast for years but even beast are slain by larger beast ever so often.

Every dog has its day and Kaci' s day is not even here yet but he is already, like I said, kicking a55 and taking names.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Denis is still the man at many tourneys and when he is hitten em good its like poetry. I could not be happier for Shane, he is still my favorite. Kaci is exactly what the game needs right now, he plays at an extremely high level and seems like a good kid. At his age he will rule the pool world soon enough.

Congrats to SVB and wait to go Mitch E for having such a strong tourney.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont get me wrong, dennis is one of best in the world but kaci is but a kid, wait till he has a few more years of experience under his belt.

Kaci is gonna be another effing but maybe even stronger.

We'll see in time.
Ya with those young eyes and blue balls as Mike Tyson once said they all got a plan till they get hit in the face ,
He is a great young talent but so is a slew of young players and many before them have shown extraordinary skills only to level off ,
We shall see in a few yrs ,, one thing I will point out about James and Ruslan they are spending a tremendous amount of time learning one pocket when they show up local here that's pretty much what they are looking to do ,
,Roy as do I believe one pocket is on the rise and the best gambling game I wouldn't be surprised to see KK follow suit , Billy Thorpe gets it and becoming a great one pocket player after he took down John Schmitt for big cash , he posted that it was the best display he ever saw ,,
So in the end KK to be Efren like needs a little catching up to do before id mention him in the same breath

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Excuse me, but you may be a little confused by one loss. First of all Kaci lost his next match to Shane 9-6 and finished fourth in this event. A good showing but definitely nothing to indicate he is the next GOAT! Meanwhile Dennis has won just about everything and anything, and taken down every top player in tournaments and money games for a decade now. He may have peaked, but if that's true he's still at his peak! He shows no sign of letting up any time soon. With his ability and work ethic I suspect we will be seeing him in the winner's circle for many years to come.

What will become of Kaci we don't know yet. Who knows if he will even be playing pool two years from now? I've seen a lot of young wonders come and go. A lot! When he has won multiple major championships then you can start to mention him in the same breath as Shane and Dennis. Until then, it's wait and see as to what he does or does not achieve in pool.

P.S. I'm fairly certain that if Kaci wanted to play Dennis a Race to 100 for ten or twenty dimes he would get action pretty quick. I've been around them and never heard a peep out of Kaci about any such challenge. Same goes for Shane vs. Kaci.

Last edited:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excuse me, but you may be a little confused by one loss. First of all Kaci lost his next match to Shane 9-6 and finished fourth in this event. A good showing but definitely nothing to indicate he is the next GOAT! Meanwhile Dennis has won just about everything and anything, and taken down every top player in tournaments and money games for a decade now. He may have peaked, but if that's true he's still at his peak! He shows no sign of letting up any time soon. With his ability and work ethic I suspect we will be seeing him in the winner's circle for many years to come.

What will become of Kaci we don't know yet. Who knows if he will even be playing pool two years from now? I've seen a lot of young wonders come and go. A lot! When he has won multiple major championships then you can start to mention him in the same breath as Shane and Dennis. Until then, it's wait and see as to what he does or does not achieve in pool.

P.S. I'm fairly certain that if Kaci wanted to play Dennis a Race to 100 for ten or twenty dimes he would get action pretty quick. I've been around them and never heard a peep out of Kaci about any such challenge. Same goes for Shane vs. Kaci.

I pretty much agree with everything you say. We have been around a long time and have watched many of them come and go. I watched the eight rack run he put on Alex, and while it was impressive, it was all about the break. Every rack was a paint by numbers after he broke and you and I could have run a few racks with Kaci breaking for us. There will be plenty of days when the break does not work.

Let him get down in the dirt with someone who has been there awhile for a big number and see how he stands up.

I am still a fan though. He is exciting to watch and may be on the road to greatness, but I am not ready to hand it over yet.:grin:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol....

Somebody needs to ease up on the caffeine.or something.

We all got our opinions and mine is that Kaci will be handing some a55 beatings not to far down the road.

I too, have seen A LOT of talent come and go.

Yep, he may not be playing two years from now. There are better, more important things in life.....for some. I hope he sticks around but if he decides to go with another career..........who could blame him?

Pool is not exactly the direction I would push my son.

Guaranteed 6 figure salary with great retirement or hustle and work your a55 off for a maybe... Lol... yeah, that is smart.

Me, I chose the 6 figures over 3 decades ago and don't regret it one bit.

The decision I made back then allows me to play pool or anything else I want today.

Then again, if I would have had the talent to be more than a mediocre shortstop at late teens/early 20's, I may have chose different.

Rake

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Kaci's a very fine player but he's not in Dennis Orcullo's league at this point. Dennis would win any long match between them.

Kaci's a serious talent with a good attitude, and maybe he'll reach the highest heights of our game as a player. It's too early to say. From my vantage point, though, while he is a very straight shooter with a great stroke, his game is not yet well-rounded.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

What Jay said...and others. Kaci is a fine young talent. Lots of guys have shown up and are soon never to be seen again. Some have even snapped off a major at a young age (I could mention them but it would seem like a negative) and never to win another.

Great players who have "Only" won one US Open 9 ball
Cory D
John S
Gabe
JJ
Archer
Alex P
Efren
Rodney
Ralf

GREAT Players who never won a US Open 9 Ball:
Busty and 50 more

Lets wait until Kaci wins at least one before we sprinkle holy water on him and parade him through the street.

The pecking order in no particular order:
SVB, Alex P, Dennis O and Jayson S All others are a gear behind.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I pretty much agree with everything you say. We have been around a long time and have watched many of them come and go. I watched the eight rack run he put on Alex, and while it was impressive, it was all about the break. Every rack was a paint by numbers after he broke and you and I could have run a few racks with Kaci breaking for us. There will be plenty of days when the break does not work.

Let him get down in the dirt with someone who has been there awhile for a big number and see how he stands up.

I am still a fan though. He is exciting to watch and may be on the road to greatness, but I am not ready to hand it over yet.:grin:

Double Tap