What shoes for pool?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about replacing my Doc Martens with the Vibram 5 fingers. On Amazon, the Vibram has nothing but 5 star reviews.

Yeah, the people who like them really do. I think its very personal. I just couldn't get used to them, but my gym buddies stuck with them and 2 years later still love them.

I'd highly recommend you go to a local store to get them. You can try them on and walk around with them, even run with them. Most of the stores that sell them are specialty athletic or outdoor shoe type places, so they will let you have more freedom in trying them on. They are also supposed to fit just right, so its important to try a few sizes on your feet.

Finally, I wore them barefoot, as do my gym friends. But they sell 5 finger socks that go with them as well. The socks might be a good idea if they will be your pool shoes, as opposed to gym shoes. I personally never tried the socks.

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
And NB are made in USA, so I kinda like that as well..

This is only true for a few different higher end models. The majority of New Balance are made in China. The most comfortable shoes I have ever worn are Dunham which is an old American boot company which was bought out by New Balance and are now made in China. I still have a few pair of the USA made ones because they last forever.

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to the shoe store and ask the sales associate for shoes with good arch support and for standing all day. If you're hardcore, get those nurse/chef clogs Dansko (they look like this lol: http://www.zappos.com/dansko-professional-black-cabrio-leather). Dansko does make some shoes which are dressy but I wasn't able to find them in a store.

I haven't tried Eccos extensively but I can definitely vouch for Clarks. Clarks have a casual/dressy look to them (if you don't like the running shoe look) and they also have good arch support. Another brand I want to comment on are Merrell, which I've tried on at the store. They make hiking shoes so their shoes have an athletic look to them and they also have good arch support. A brand that is similar to Merrell is Keen. I never tried them but I hear the same good things about them.

Also, "Never stand when you can sit," :wink:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
These are for you:

FUNTASMA-PIMP02-ZB-FUR.jpg

And yes, those are fish in the heel...

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Then again, nothing says "run out" like a pair of these babies:

lady-gaga-stye-boots.jpg

And when you're ready to play in the Mosconi cup, you can don these bad boys:

Nottis.jpg

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Go to the shoe store and ask the sales associate for shoes with good arch support and for standing all day. If you're hardcore, get those nurse/chef clogs Dansko (they look like this lol: http://www.zappos.com/dansko-professional-black-cabrio-leather). Dansko does make some shoes which are dressy but I wasn't able to find them in a store.

I haven't tried Eccos extensively but I can definitely vouch for Clarks. Clarks have a casual/dressy look to them (if you don't like the running shoe look) and they also have good arch support. Another brand I want to comment on are Merrell, which I've tried on at the store. They make hiking shoes so their shoes have an athletic look to them and they also have good arch support. A brand that is similar to Merrell is Keen. I never tried them but I hear the same good things about them.

Also, "Never stand when you can sit," :wink:

Merrell is another good shoe. I've had a pair for about 8 years now and still
wear them!

jalapus logan

Silver Member
"But wait", you say, "I'm 'earthy' and into simple living". Well here are some simple foot wear just for you:

wood-platforms.jpg

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very good, very cheap solution.

After a many year hiatus, I started playing again six months ago. I started playing in local north Dallas tournaments twice a week. I tended to wear Allen Edmonds loafer style shoes with thin socks. I'd arrive at the tournament a few hours early and then play 2-3 hours in the tournament, almost all standing. That night in bed my legs would start to ache (ok, I'm 42 but I'm in good shape) and it would take 48 hours for my legs to feel 100% again.

My first adjustment was to sit between shots. That helped, but only some.

The ultimate solution was Dr. Scholls. Slip those pads into whatever shoes you like to wear and it's a huge benefit.

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just remembered another tip I've read: people work in jobs that require standing in long periods of time recommend compression socks, which increase circulation to the legs. Those socks can go for $10-$15 a pair.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The ultimate solution was Dr. Scholls. Slip those pads into whatever shoes you like to wear and it's a huge benefit.

Do you mean the cheap inserts or the $50 ones that you step into that machine that sort of blueprints your feet and recommends a certain model?

I've been thinking of trying those.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking about the $10 off the rack Dr. Scholls you can pick up at CVS or wherever. They come big and you use scissors to cut them to the right size. they come roughly the outline of a shoe. My wife bought them for me. She got the "lower back pain" model. I do not have lower back pain; I had leg soreness, but it worked nevertheless. My guess is they have a hundred models so they can get more linear shelf footage, but they are all good.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
Keens

I like Keens. Shoes or sandals it's like they were molded from my feet. Great arch support with no fatigue.

bob c

LuckedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For long periods on hard surfaces I vote Clarks, I used to work 10 hr days in a factory on concrete and these were the shoes of choice.

Good idea SirNoobs with the compression socks, my wife is a nurse in an ICU (13 hr days) and she uses those socks and Danskos.

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had any trouble with my Chippewa engineer boots, but I have no shoe recommendations since I haven't owned a pair of shoes in 4-5 years.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Cole Haan

Nike walking shoes for casual play - $60-80
Cole Haan for dress - $150-200

Ron F

nateobot

Undercover FBI Agent
Silver Member
I typically wear Brooks running shoes. If I am dressing a little nicer, it's my Ecco's.