Pawn Shop Cues

HallieQ2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pawn shop finds

Richard Black 1/1 1985 fullspliced 5 venniers with Whitten case $500 out the door.
Olivier ivory jointed silver and ivory inlays 8 point $45 bucks
Jenson pj $25
Bludworth 4 point 2 shafts $65
Schon sl 14 $50:thumbup:

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few more that I have found in the last ten years or so. Getting good deals or even just finding vintage cues is not easy in fact I have walked out of hundreds of stores with nothing.

Near as I can remember this bunch cost me about $360.

Left to right
H Betti = $9
BBC Challenger = free.
BBC Tru Balance = $15.00, and they threw in the Challenger.
Schmelke/Brunswick sneaky pete = $9, Someone used it to stir blue paint and I restored it.
Rosewood one piece Titlist $4, not in great shape but maybe a conversion.
BBC Titlist Professional (very early model)= $217, super straight two shafts.
Palmer= $90, present from a friend.
BBC Tru Balance - Snooker $17, 60 inch's long and straight ShootingArts to receive this when I croak.;)
Old McDermott =$10, with case and very straight needs a wrap and a lot of TLC.

Found an H. BETTI my self, have no clue of value or info?

$$PAPINO$$

Registered
I have found a few
i got a 4 point joss with 3 shafts one being a 3/14 for $100
i found a nice pechauer custom for $40 bucks that i flipped 20 min later for $350.00
i also found a pair of troy downeys in a nstroke case for $150.00 and i am always looking...

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a huge find... but a small mention.

Picked up a 1 Pc Harley Davidson Jump Cue ($89 retail) for $10 bucks! this weekend in a Pawn shop. :D

Attachments

• HD JumpCue.jpg
    HD JumpCue.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 525

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Cues

I checked out cues in a pawnshop recently and all that was their was crappola cues worth $30-50 at most.

tamavn

Registered
I hear ya...it may not be something amazing but when i was a kid i used to follow my mother around to auctions and flea markets....

at one auction they had a whole table of stuff, nothing but junk but there was a box of cedar #2 pencils that had almost 2k of them in it.....she got the table of stuff for $5 and we threw it all away and kept those pencils....

that was when i was like 8 or something....now I'm 25 and I still haven't purchased a pencil from the store...

everytime i go over she gives me a new bag of them lol....

like i said it wasn't much but we got a lifetime supply of #2 pencils for $5 and I'd say thats pretty strong :)

Please dont tell me that you once forgot to bring your pencil on your test date. :))

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many, Many cues at pawn shops, yard sales, thrift shops. Several thousand in profits over the years. I still own a few- third Catalog Palmer Model 12 - mint with a mint Palmer was and 2 shafts, Meucci OLDIE cues 95-17 and 95-19. One of my best that I sold was a rare Frank Paradise sneaky pete - so many that I could never even list them all- and I few that I could not buy simply bc at the time the family would not part with all of a recently departed family member's cue stuff - they had no idea what it was and that stuff probably ended up in a Goodwill over time or still in a closet somewhere.

Pawns are much smarter now with the internet and all- most of the good ones even overpriced now at Pawns. It would have to be an unmarked cue from a famous maker for one to really get a score- like an older George B, Szamboti, R Black, in a condition that would not raise suspicion- best bet would be something that ended up in a thrift somewhere .

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
The internet is not always that easy to find cue information. Just look at how many "ID this cue" threads there are on AZB. It is much easier than it used to be, so Pawn shop deals probably are getting more difficult to find unless they are just wanting it out of the shop because they suspect it is hot.

E-Bay can be tough to get a good deal with sellers researching more or the quantity of knowledgeable buyers bidding up the item.

Probably the best deals are still yard sales and estate sales. Where the sellers have no clue and don't care to research. They just want it gone.

I'm new to the search and haven't hit the "Big One" like a Richard Black or Szamboti. Pawn and thrift have been bone dry. If I get some spare time I may try to explore the yard sales more. I don't really expect the "Big One", but you never know. It's fun to just search for something cool.

I have gotten a couple decent deals on E-bay like the Kid Delicious Prototype.

My coolest deal so far was on OfferUp for a generic cue (Harvard Graphite I think) and spotted the cue next to it. When I contacted him I asked if the other cue was included and he said sure. So I got the Willie Hoppe for free or paid $30 depending how you look at it. Good deal either way. Also got a barely used Pechauer for $100.

1624303655121.png

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the early 90's I picked up a Huebler HJ at a billiards store for $150'sh then a month later found another HJ at a pawn shop. My cousin was dating the owner's daughter so I think I paid $70? Either way, sold it to a buddy for what I paid and he still plays with that cue today as his daily driver, that was 30 years ago.

Last year I picked up a Joss (nothing special) for $100 and just gave it to my son for father's day.

Lot's of good finds if you're diligent.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found a McDermott D series cue for around $50. I liked the cue but the maple was stained green by McDermott and why they would do that to perfectly good maple I don't know.

Flipped it for a Madison Bob sneaky which I flipped for a beautiful veneered Woodworth that I still own but don't play with because I have to use a wrapless cue due to a problem with my fingertips. I came out way ahead on that pawn shop find.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only time I’ve been in a pawn shop was when I was looking for a cue my wife accidentally lost. Someone got a nice Mobley cue that day. But it wasn’t me.

Geosnookery

The only time I’ve been in a pawn shop was when I was looking for a cue my wife accidentally lost. Someone got a nice Mobley cue that day. But it wasn’t me.
I’m 67 and have never been in a pawn shop. Every time I walked by one with my grandfather in Montreal I got a lesson on not lending or borrowing money. I can still hear him in German telling me ‘If your brother or friend asks for 5 dollars, you give it to him no conditions’. When I was 10 years old, 5 dollars was like a million to me. I likely nodded but no way was I ever giving my brother 5 bucks...that could buy 3 models, glue and even some paint.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Re reading th tread some folks have found some great Cues the Pawn Broker eith lent nothing on, paid nothing for, and they made a few buck on the sale. Some people got som good deals apprently.

Friend who was retired L.A.P.D. Was Pawn Broker in Calfornia Gold Country. He made good money, but had to know a little about a lot of thing.

Over 60% of the people borrowing on something, never picked the something, they pawned. If Gary could flip fast, it was money maker.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the best cue you ever saw/bought at a pawn store? Any custom cues?
Here is a Blackcreek I found recently...

Personal best find though JW merry widow, micarta ferrule, Cortland wrap. $80!!

Attachments

• 20210616_162659.jpg
    20210616_162659.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 101

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Not a huge find... but a small mention.

Picked up a 1 Pc Harley Davidson Jump Cue ($89 retail) for $10 bucks! this weekend in a Pawn shop. :D
Lol, if it says Harley on it, it isn't gonna work for very long.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve bought a fair amount of cues at pawnshops, but I think the better ones are:

Tim Scruggs
Mike Bender
Two Titlist Palmers
A few Schons
Centennial Case
Fellini Case

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The internet is not always that easy to find cue information. Just look at how many "ID this cue" threads there are on AZB. It is much easier than it used to be, so Pawn shop deals probably are getting more difficult to find unless they are just wanting it out of the shop because they suspect it is hot.

E-Bay can be tough to get a good deal with sellers researching more or the quantity of knowledgeable buyers bidding up the item.

Probably the best deals are still yard sales and estate sales. Where the sellers have no clue and don't care to research. They just want it gone.

I'm new to the search and haven't hit the "Big One" like a Richard Black or Szamboti. Pawn and thrift have been bone dry. If I get some spare time I may try to explore the yard sales more. I don't really expect the "Big One", but you never know. It's fun to just search for something cool.

I have gotten a couple decent deals on E-bay like the Kid Delicious Prototype.

My coolest deal so far was on OfferUp for a generic cue (Harvard Graphite I think) and spotted the cue next to it. When I contacted him I asked if the other cue was included and he said sure. So I got the Willie Hoppe for free or paid $30 depending how you look at it. Good deal either way. Also got a barely used Pechauer for $100.

View attachment 599518
Yes Pawns are too wired into the internet now. I have been a picker for 26 years now- your best bet to find a good cue on the cheap will be thrifts, yards, estates, and sometimes the internet - but those will be rare- basically someone who uses eBay for other types of sales and came in possession of a cue for some reason.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Yes Pawns are too wired into the internet now. I have been a picker for 26 years now- your best bet to find a good cue on the cheap will be thrifts, yards, estates, and sometimes the internet - but those will be rare- basically someone who uses eBay for other types of sales and came in possession of a cue for some reason.

Your are right about the Internet, lady I know does estate, and moving sales. She does her homework on what people have for her to sell, she checks e-bay, finds out if items are junk or collectable.

Long and short of it she boost sale price with research, and home work. Reason she works on 25% to her, 75% to owner, or estate. She wants most money for her efforts.