So, whats going on with Shane?

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last 2 days, I've seen Shane start slow, and then play some of his best pool. Against Lee Van, puts down a 6 with his old rhythm. But, never a smile.
Same vs Mistica. slow, gets in rhythm, no smiles.
Then falls apart vs Dennis.
Whats going on? Sick, health problems, girl problems?
Anyone close to him have a clue?
Love to watch him play. Can get in stroke ( if I can ever find it ) just watching him.
Hope he works it out.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the last 2 days, I've seen Shane start slow, and then play some of his best pool. Against Lee Van, puts down a 6 with his old rhythm. But, never a smile.
Same vs Mistica. slow, gets in rhythm, no smiles.
Then falls apart vs Dennis.
Whats going on? Sick, health problems, girl problems?
Anyone close to him have a clue?
Love to watch him play. Can get in stroke ( if I can ever find it ) just watching him.
Hope he works it out.

I am a bit confused by the recent posts about Shane. He won the US open 4 months ago and just finished 2nd in a 400+ player field at DCC. I think he is doing just fine. lol

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that he seemed to be somewhere else and not enjoying his time on the table. While he did finish 2nd in the 9 ball, at one point he was shooting a 678 or thereabouts. Definitely not his best performance I'd say.

I imagine Shane can't get a fishing rod in his hand fast enough. It's got to be tiring traveling for so many years having to maintain the highest level of focus.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that he seemed to be somewhere else and not enjoying his time on the table. While he did finish 2nd in the 9 ball, at one point he was shooting a 678 or thereabouts. Definitely not his best performance I'd say.

I imagine Shane can't get a fishing rod in his hand fast enough. It's got to be tiring traveling for so many years having to maintain the highest level of focus.

This is so true. Living out of a suitcase ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

There's something to be said about Home Sweet Home

Attachments

• home-sweet-home-ceramic-tile-root-1paj4634_1470_1-500x500.jpg
    home-sweet-home-ceramic-tile-root-1paj4634_1470_1-500x500.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,119

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This movie sums up living out of a suitcase

Attachments

• MV5BMTI3MzYxMTA4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE4ODg3Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    MV5BMTI3MzYxMTA4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE4ODg3Mg@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,165

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
When you're in your twenties, the life of a top pool professional seems exciting and even exotic. Not so much when you're pushing 40...

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think the match against Mistica hurt his rhythm and focus. There was zero pressure on him throughout the match, and he got sloppy and careless as a result. That carried over into his match against Dennis. His earlier play in the tournament was at times stellar, however. His steamrolling of Corteza was an absolute tour de force! After a couple of early mistakes he played about as well as I've ever seen him play.

Despite some lapses in concentration, his results at the U.S. Open and the DCC 9-ball were great. Any elite player in the world would take winning either of those events as a successful result, and winning the U.S. Open for a 5th time, then finishing 2nd at the DCC 9-ball is a tremendous success. The only way to top it is to win both!

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane

As a side note, didn't he miss an open 1 ball in the first game? If that is the case, would his tpa officially have been 0.... not sure how the tpa works but thought it interesting that one of the best in the world was shooting a 0 if only for the first game...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I am a bit confused by the recent posts about Shane. He won the US open 4 months ago and just finished 2nd in a 400+ player field at DCC. I think he is doing just fine. lol

Right, and don't forget the 2016 U.S. Open 8-ball AND 10-ball championships.

I think the man can still shoot some pool, eh? ;)

That said, at his age and with most of his goals accomplished, he's probably starting to experience some burnout. It's got to be a tough grind out there.

Maniac

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane did beat LeeVan, Chua, and Mika in succession.

I will say I've watched A LOT of Shane matches. His 2 matches vs Dennis in the Big Foot Challenge and 9b was two of the worst I've seen him play.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second in the 9-Ball would be a great finish for anyone not named Shane. Probably only got a measly $8,000 for it, a bad week for Shane. Meanwhile I don't see anyone taxi'ing up to play with him.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not concerned with his results as much as I hope SVB's not burning out. With all he has accomplished, I would hope he can savor the game itself and enjoy it, win, lose or draw. I don't believe I am the only one who can say that I love watching him play and marvel at his skill, and I certainly wish him the best because I'm a big fan. It would be a sad day for everyone who loves pool to see a person who represents the sport so well step aside because he's gotten tired of it.

SVB is fine!

Guys - SVB is fine, trust me.. There was actually a group of us that had dinner with him at DCC - he is extremely grounded and has a great perspective on life. Let's not forget all that he has done and continues to do for the sport (we all love, including him).. Now, regarding Ramon M. -- he had an extremely great showing for his first time at DCC, coming in 3rd in a field of 322 of the best is nothing to down play.. For those that really know him (like myself), he is a master instructor that trains around the globe! (As an industry, we really have to stop bagging those that are great players -- the next time anyone on this post gets to 3rd place at Derby City 9-ball, not even facturing in his age and that he went undefeated with Orcullo until the end of the last day, I'll shut up..

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member
I'm glad to hear he is doing well...he is registered at a big tournament upcoming in my home town, so I'm looking forward to seeing him play in something that isn't on as grand a national scale, maybe even drawing him before i get put out haha.

I also think that there is A LOT of new, fresh talent coming up, and while he is still Godzilla, there are some great new players challenging the rockstars.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
This might have something to do with it. Broke his ferrule. And after just 13 years.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...e.vanboening/posts/1137262979705230&width=500

I love Shane's lack of pretentiousness. He sounds like a kid talking about his trip to summer camp:

"My favorite fishing pole broke. I had to borrow one from Jimmy. I finished second in the potato sack race to Bobby. Way to go Bobby! I had a lot of fun and met some cool people. I can't wait to go back next year!"