Discussion of how a cue "hits"...

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff's notes: buddy who [plays good pool but knows nothing about cues, played with several of my cues and described his thoughts on how they hit

I know "hit" and "feel" are highly subjective terms, but I had an interesting experience the other day with a friend. He is an SL 6 in 8 ball, but plays off the wall and has never owned his own cue. I had him hit with 6 of my cues, without knowing anything about them (brand, weight, shaft type, etc) , and describe what he thought about the hit and feel of the cue.

He hit with the following cues in random order, I include a general price range for reference only:

Mcdermott GSO7 with linen wrap and hard maple shaft and standard medium tip (around $200)

Mcdermott G229 wrapless with G-core shaft and standard medium tip (around $300)

Pechauer p03 linen wrap with hard maple shaft and standard medium tip Around ($300)

Pechauer p06 crown jewel wrapless with hard maple shaft and proprietary medium tip (around $700)

Cuetec Prestige with valtex wrap and (i think) tiger everest tip (around $200)

Dufferin one piece house cue with who knows what kind of tip. (around 50 bucks)

I had him hit several straight in shots, power draws, inside and outside english, soft touch shots, etc. Then we played 8 and nine ball with him switching cues after each game. At the end of my "experiment" we discussed his thoughts on each cue, which I will try to summarize:

-His favorite by far was the pechauer p03. He liked the wrap and weight ( all cues were around 19.5 oz) and said it felt like a "soft" hit but he felt like he could control the cueball the best. He described the sound as a "thud".

-He said both Mcdermotts felt very solid hitting and he could feel the hit up into the butt, they hit more like the house cues he is used to. He said he did not feel like he could control or spin the cue ball as well. He described the hit as a "bonk"

-He did not care for the cuetec at all. Said it felt like he was hitting a wiffle ball with a plastic bat. described the hit as a "tink".

-The dufferin was like most bar cues with a better tip

-The pechauer crown jewel- he thought the butt was too narrow for his tastes, and he didn't like the lack of feedback he got up through the cue. He said it was hard to tell if he was hitting the ball hard or soft and was not confident in his speed control. described the hit as a muffled "thud".

At the end, he thought the mcdermotts were somewhere between the pechauers in his personal preference. He liked how he could feel the hit of the mcdermott up into his grip hand, and didnt like how he could barely feel it with the pech crown jewel.

The pechauer p03 combined the best traits according to his preference. We played a lot of pool that weekend, and he pocketed a lot of balls with all the cues, and kept coming back to the same conclusion.

So this got me thinking about terms like hit and feel when it comes to cues. Does a "solid" hit mean you feel the impact up into your grip hand? I always related it to a baseball bat. When you hit the sweet spot, you barely feel it, the ball just explodes off the bat. Miss the sweet spot, and the vibration stings your hands.

I thought it was pretty interesting. So much goes into how a cue feels, shaft type, tip type, joint type, wrap, etc. I guess that's why pool junkies are constantly trying out new combinations...

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member
I can relate to this, I have a custom that I played every day with for 6 years. It has phenolic A and b joints and a brass radial pin with phenolic shaft inserts. It is also cored with purple heart and has a stiff parabolic taper. Needless to say, it is a "feel" monster and if I stroke straight, the cue ball just glides off with a nice "plink"...however, if i'm off a bit, it is an unforgiving SOB and does not feel right. I retired her due to the finish being worn all to hell and started playing with a Schon...I'm still learning the sweet spot, and with the metal joint it is a deader feeling cue.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the terms he used...., I agree with what you said on the subjective terms.

It took me forever to find something that worked for me.

I chalk pull up to being a lot like Tennis. The type of racket you use, the string you use and the tension you string it at all has to suit your game.

Same thing goes with Pool Cues. I am really glad you posted this.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup:

Sounds like a good player.

A lot of players don't feel anything and just like the looks of a cue.

:eek:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff's notes: buddy who [plays good pool but knows nothing about cues, played with several of my cues and described his thoughts on how they hit

I know "hit" and "feel" are highly subjective terms, but I had an interesting experience the other day with a friend. He is an SL 6 in 8 ball, but plays off the wall and has never owned his own cue. I had him hit with 6 of my cues, without knowing anything about them (brand, weight, shaft type, etc) , and describe what he thought about the hit and feel of the cue.

He hit with the following cues in random order, I include a general price range for reference only:

Mcdermott GSO7 with linen wrap and hard maple shaft and standard medium tip (around $200)

Mcdermott G229 wrapless with G-core shaft and standard medium tip (around $300)

Pechauer p03 linen wrap with hard maple shaft and standard medium tip Around ($300)

Pechauer p06 crown jewel wrapless with hard maple shaft and proprietary medium tip (around $700)

Cuetec Prestige with valtex wrap and (i think) tiger everest tip (around $200)

Dufferin one piece house cue with who knows what kind of tip. (around 50 bucks)

I had him hit several straight in shots, power draws, inside and outside english, soft touch shots, etc. Then we played 8 and nine ball with him switching cues after each game. At the end of my "experiment" we discussed his thoughts on each cue, which I will try to summarize:

-His favorite by far was the pechauer p03. He liked the wrap and weight ( all cues were around 19.5 oz) and said it felt like a "soft" hit but he felt like he could control the cueball the best. He described the sound as a "thud".

-He said both Mcdermotts felt very solid hitting and he could feel the hit up into the butt, they hit more like the house cues he is used to. He said he did not feel like he could control or spin the cue ball as well. He described the hit as a "bonk"

-He did not care for the cuetec at all. Said it felt like he was hitting a wiffle ball with a plastic bat. described the hit as a "tink".

-The dufferin was like most bar cues with a better tip

-The pechauer crown jewel- he thought the butt was too narrow for his tastes, and he didn't like the lack of feedback he got up through the cue. He said it was hard to tell if he was hitting the ball hard or soft and was not confident in his speed control. described the hit as a muffled "thud".

At the end, he thought the mcdermotts were somewhere between the pechauers in his personal preference. He liked how he could feel the hit of the mcdermott up into his grip hand, and didnt like how he could barely feel it with the pech crown jewel.

The pechauer p03 combined the best traits according to his preference. We played a lot of pool that weekend, and he pocketed a lot of balls with all the cues, and kept coming back to the same conclusion.

So this got me thinking about terms like hit and feel when it comes to cues. Does a "solid" hit mean you feel the impact up into your grip hand? I always related it to a baseball bat. When you hit the sweet spot, you barely feel it, the ball just explodes off the bat. Miss the sweet spot, and the vibration stings your hands.

I thought it was pretty interesting. So much goes into how a cue feels, shaft type, tip type, joint type, wrap, etc. I guess that's why pool junkies are constantly trying out new combinations...
Good post. Reading this reminds of when Buddy H. was living here in Tulsa. He would come in with a big travel/sales case full of cues. During the course of a day's play he would use anywhere from 3 to 6 cues. Sometimes he would switch during a game. We're talking ALL types of joint, shaft, tip ,wrap, weight, etc. It made ZERO difference. He played the same way with all of them. Granted, we're talking about a true legend but i still was kinda amazed. If it had a decent tip he was good to go.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always find it interesting how others interpret the hit of different cues.

What kind of pins and joint collar materials are on the cues?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...

My old Joss kits kind of like a wet noodle...and I poke at the ball like I am scared of it which just makes things worse.

So, you don't want my Joss. :smile:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always find it interesting how others interpret the hit of different cues.

What kind of pins and joint collar materials are on the cues?

The Pechauers have speed joint- stainless steel joint screw and collar, brass inserts

Mcdermotts have 3/8 x 10 with plastic collars

not sure about the cue tec

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit and feel don't change the skill of a player. Any cue can be adapted to given enough time. Some players a take a while (took me 6 months) but some players can just adapt more readily.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren liked the hit on his $13 cue with the Elkmaster tip...and then proceeded to beat everybody with it.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a good post!
Everyone has to find what works well for them.
I'm guilty as well, in regards to chasing that perfect hit.
After dozens of cues, it's almost funny that my favorite
4 cues have almost nothing in common, but
feel like they have almost identical playing characteristics.
I'm a fan of the wood to wood 3/8x10 pin and medium/
hard tip.
With that said, one of my favorite players was a steel
jointed Scruggs with a hard tip.
My favorite is an ivory jointed Cohen, and it's crispy!
I have a Lil Al Romero "sneaky" that somehow hits
awfully close to both.
It's been quite an adventure; pitting cue vs cue in this
seemingly never ending search of what rings my bell.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So for discussion purposes lets say a cue was described as having a "mushy" hit, or like Doc said a "wet noodle". Would that hit be more a function of tip, joint type, pin size, type of collar or ferrule, or a combination of all? Can you significantly change how a cue hits by adjusting the components?

Just curious as my experience is pretty much limited to the above mentioned pechauers, mcdermotts, and cuetecs

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So for discussion purposes lets say a cue was described as having a "mushy" hit, or like Doc said a "wet noodle". Would that hit be more a function of tip, joint type, pin size, type of collar or ferrule, or a combination of all? Can you significantly change how a cue hits by adjusting the components?

Just curious as my experience is pretty much limited to the above mentioned pechauers, mcdermotts, and cuetecs

Yes. I turned a Dale Perry cue into a great player
by swapping the ferrule and tip on the shaft.
Before that, it felt like I was smacking the cue ball
with a wet phone book.
Changing just the ferrule and tip made a huge difference.
I don't know what those red layered tips are that come
stock on the Perry cues, but they suck big time.
The soft plastic ferrule was not great either.
I was jacked up against the rail playing 9ball, and table
length draw back up-table was my only option for shape.
I stroked the shot pretty hard and got the cue ball
back up-table for the next shot. On the next hit, the ferrule
cracked perfectly in half; held together by the glue on the tip.
My friend checked it out and said he could just put a new
ferrule and tip. No biggy. That $100 cue now feels like
$500. Lol

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. I turned a Dale Perry cue into a great player
by swapping the ferrule and tip on the shaft.
Before that, it felt like I was smacking the cue ball
with a wet phone book.
Changing just the ferrule and tip made a huge difference.
I don't know what those red layered tips are that come
stock on the Perry cues, but they suck big time.
The soft plastic ferrule was not great either.
I was jacked up against the rail playing 9ball, and table
length draw back up-table was my only option for shape.
I stroked the shot pretty hard and got the cue ball
back up-table for the next shot. On the next hit, the ferrule
cracked perfectly in half; held together by the glue on the tip.
My friend checked it out and said he could just put a new
ferrule and tip. No biggy. That $100 cue now feels like
$500. Lol

You mean your friend turned it into a Revo? Forward me his number. I have a Players that I would like turned into a Szambotti. LOL.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean your friend turned it into a Revo? Forward me his number. I have a Players that I would like turned into a Szambotti. LOL.

Hahaha!
Maybe not that drastic, but it sure did improve the way
it played. The new ferrule absolutely resulted in less
deflection.
I ended up gifting the cue to a friend.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What has always amazed me, is the folks who don't have a preference as to a "stiff " Or "softer" feel to how a cue feels.
(Don't enjoy stiff hitters, myself)