CTE/Pro One - Why Not Build a Physical Model?

Filibogado

Registered
Like many new users of CTE/Pro One, sighting the true center on a white round sphere of a cue ball, given the infinitely variable position of one's eyes and body alignment as one goes down for the shot, is the single biggest obstacle to consistency. Many have tried to explain the correct eye and body positioning by words, pictures, camera angles, graphics, foot placements, CAD/CAM drawings, etc. but there is always the gap between what the philosopher Immanuel Kant calls the "nuomenon" or the real world and the "phenomenon" or what the eyes actually see. In effect, what the eyes actually see are not where the objects really are, and the visualization tools I listed above suffer from the common affliction of being two-dimensional and therefore unable to depict reality in all its dimensions. Understanding and compensating for visual parallax is one solution by it is only a partial panacea. And if one happens to be cross-eyed or visually impaired, the problem is even worse.

I am by no means a structural engineer, but it seems to me that if someone can build a physical model of a CTE/Pro One visual image, that we can view from all angles, see and touch with our hands, it would be much easier to figure out the visuals in a CTE/Pro One shooting scenario.I'm talking about the same object that physicists use to build molecular models or DNA double helixes. I thnk you can build one using LEGO components. For example, one can take 2 bamboo skewers like the ones used for barbecues, pretend that 1 skewer represents the CTE line and that another skewer is the OBE line. Then you use superglue to glue the ends to their corresponding spots on the edge and center of the cue ball as well as the A, B & C portions of the object ball. You can build 6 such models representing the 3 object ball panels and the 2 (left/right pivot) cue ball positions. Once you have these models, you just set them on the table and then practice eyeballing them from all angles, shifting you foot position, tilting your head, using your dominant eye, twisting your neck, aligning your chin, and myriad other angles. One you find your most accurate position, burn them in your memory by staring at the models at the correct angle all night long, and practicing them during your waking hours.

Just thought I'd throw this in as a fresh new way of looking at the never-ending quest for CTE/Pro One nirvana.

Flip

champ2107

Banned
I am at a disadvantage when discussing cte/pro1 on here because i am not willing to hand out information about the system that may effect Stans business.

Filibogado

Registered
I think the BAT Trainer may be close. NOTE: at least from a 2d perspective.

I've looked at the ads for the Allison Fisher BAT Trainer, and it might help somewhat but not quite to the desired degree. CTE/Pro One is not a fractional aiming system as Stan demonstrates in his DVD. The student can pretty much figure out in broad strokes what the angle is - the problem is holding that angle constant in the mind's eye, because the shape of the visuals is constantly changing as you move your head/eyes and body every which way. And unless you wear a straightjacket and a rigid head lock, your position will always be different every time you go down. Have you seen those wavy mirrors at a country fair where your kid's reflection gets contorted into various shapes as he makes faces and moves his head from side to side, or up and down? That's the same thing with CTE/Pro One. In my case, I see a trapezoid formed by the 4 corners consisting of 1 cue ball edge, 1 cue ball center, 1 object ball edge, and 1 object ball panel (A, B or C). The problem is that the 4 corners of the trapezoid are not locked by tight machine bolts, so the trapezoid wobbles back and forth in relation to your eyes and the pocket location. Or picture a 4-legged radio tower unsecured by cross members, and the tower sways back and forth because the joints are not rigid.

The other tool I was looking at is the Joe Tucker 3rd Eye aiming tool - it may help you find the real center of the cue ball. The problem is it is designed only for straight in shots. In CTE/Pro One, the shalf always comes in angled because of the need to make the half-tip pivot, at which point one arm of the tool will always brush against the side of the cue ball, hence defeating its purpose.

Flip

just kick'n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not for everybody

If you can't get it, maybe, you just can't get it. Use something else, or take up golf.

Filibogado

Registered
I am at a disadvantage when discussing cte/pro1 on here because i am not willing to hand out information about the system that may effect Stans business.

That's too bad, because I've always enjoyed reading your CTE/Pro One posts that I've found to be very informative and most helpful.

Filibogado

Registered
ok so what trouble are you having but keep it in simple terms?

Not knowing if my head and eyes are correctly centered over the cue ball and the object ball so that all I have to do is swing my cue into position and fire. So if I'm only pocketing my balls 50% of the time, that means 50% of the time, my head, body and eyes are not correctly positioned over the target area. I need some kind of signal that tells me that I'm in the groove instead of floating over and guessing where to drop the bomb.

champ2107

Banned
First, it's really rather easy to find center of a circle, or at least very, very, close to it. All you have to do is find the highest part of the ball and take it in a straight line down to the lowest part of the ball. You now have vertical center. To find the horizontal center, just do the same thing sideways.

As far as Stans DVD being a fractional system more than CTE, have you even seen the video??

I struggled with that for a minute too when i read his post, I think what he meant is that its not a fractional system and stan proves that on the dvd, lol

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I struggled with that for a minute too when i read his post, I think what he meant is that its not a fractional system and stan proves that on the dvd, lol

plus 1 for reading comprehension he did state CTE was not fractional as demonstrated by Stan on the DVD =)

I still want my hour back from my first viewing but in for a penny in for a pound... I intend to watch it several more times to try and grasp it... I have used a pivot system for years but it is indeed fractional so I have some preconceptions I have to shed before I am able to attempt to watch the DVD again.....

Filibogado

Registered
First, it's really rather easy to find center of a circle, or at least very, very, close to it. All you have to do is find the highest part of the ball and take it in a straight line down to the lowest part of the ball. You now have vertical center. To find the horizontal center, just do the same thing sideways.

As far as Stans DVD being a fractional system more than CTE, have you even seen the video??

Yes, I bought his DVD. Stan even sold me a printed compilation of colored graphics on glossy photographic paper. The picture I'm missing is the one that shows a real pool cue being laid down against the backdrop of either the CTE line or the OBE line. I also meant to say that CTE/Pro One is not a fractional system. Sorry.

Filibogado

Registered

You're right, I misspoke - I meant CTE/Pro One is not a fractional system and therefore I don't need to know precise angles - all I need to know is the deepest part of the CTE canal so I know where to jump without banging my head against the floor - lol!

champ2107

Banned
did you get my pm? take it to the table and you should be able to figure most of the system now. Sometimes you will not be on the true cte line, but that is ok and thats the way i see it anyway, there are a lot of illusions on the pool table but i try and make it work. Its not a bad thing to trick your mind into seeing illusions if that helps you.

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

Try doing this. Make 2 discs that are 2 1/4" in diameter. Lay them on the pool table. Take 3 laser beam levels that can be bought for around $14 each at HD or Lowes and use 2 of them as the sight line for the edge line and A, B, or C line.

Then use the 3rd laser line for your shooting line that you pivoted to ( center ball line) and see where it hits the OB. Then look and see if that is the contact point needed to pocket the ball.

Tried to make it clear but I think if you have Stan's DVD you understand or can figure out what I am trying to describe.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Try doing this. Make 2 discs that are 2 1/4" in diameter. Lay them on the pool table. Take 3 laser beam levels that can be bought for around $14 each at HD or Lowes and use 2 of them as the sight line for the edge line and A, B, or C line.

Then use the 3rd laser line for your shooting line that you pivoted to ( center ball line) and see where it hits the OB. Then look and see if that is the contact point needed to pocket the ball.

Tried to make it clear but I think if you have Stan's DVD you understand or can figure out what I am trying to describe.

OK MacGyver... That's a pretty simple and cheap solutions... props to you LOL

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot a series of straight in shots until you don't miss at any distance and you will have your eyes in sync with your stroke - you then know that you are in correct alignment and can hit whatever you are aiming at.

Unless your dominant eye/s start to shift to the other eye.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot a series of straight in shots until you don't miss at any distance and you will have your eyes in sync with your stroke - you then know that you are in correct alignment and can hit whatever you are aiming at.

Unless your dominant eye/s start to shift to the other eye.

This is my nemesis! :D

Best,
Mike