KO's Pattern Racking Secrets.....

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was curious when Shane asked the referee about Ko's pattern racking which
was not allowed apparently in the tournament rules? Ko protested to the referee
and moved 1 or 2 balls around. But I seemed to notice everytime Ko racked I saw
the 2 ball at the bottom of the rack with the 3 ball on the left wing. For him to consistently rack this way was contrary to the rules I would thinK? Anyway I did notice that he made
the 3 ball in the left corner when he broke.usually. I think it would be more professional
and unbiased to have a referee rack the balls in a final match. Just my 2 cents.:thumbup:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was curious when Shane asked the referee about Ko's pattern racking which
was not allowed apparently in the tournament rules? Ko protested to the referee
and moved 1 or 2 balls around. But I seemed to notice everytime Ko racked I saw
the 2 ball at the bottom of the rack with the 3 ball on the left wing. For him to consistently rack this way was contrary to the rules I would thinK? Anyway I did notice that he made
the 3 ball in the left corner when he broke.usually. I think it would be more professional
and unbiased to have a referee rack the balls in a final match. Just my 2 cents.:thumbup:

Havent watched it yet, but if that was indeed happening...... I agree wholeheartedly. I think there should have been rackers for each table anyways given that it was a world championship.

Last edited:

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest gripe about the racks I had is the fact it was rack your own. The reason I say that for this tournament is you had referees just like the other international events.

Yet in the World Championships. you let the players rack for themselves. The ref does that in all the other major events, why not do it for this one!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was assuming that the 2 HAD to be placed on the bottom of the rack. That's where I saw it all tournament.

Am I wrong?

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many strikes we would see if professional bowlers were allowed to rack their own pins

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is Ko was purposely racking the same pattern that Shane was using. Shane did not like that.

Oh, was he?

The top row in the composite picture below are captures of the first four Ko racks (up to the rack that the ref stepped in on). The bottom row is of the first three SVB racks. You decide.

Attachments

• Ko Pattern Racking.jpg
    Ko Pattern Racking.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,301

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every single player I watched - to a man - was pattern racking to some extent. Some players were just more blatant than others.

Ko went too far and was called out by the referee, as was Ignacio earlier in the tournament..

Shane put the 8 in the same place in all three racks and the 3-4-5/6-7-8 trios were in the same place in all three racks. Apparently that does not consitute a "pattern" even though it is clearly non-random.

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The World Tournament Shane won in the UK had a referee for the finals racking the balls.
That tourney in Qatar is a circus:grin:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
One of these days they'll use my solution:

Pattern racking solution:

Breaker racks the balls in any pattern he wants. Opponent has the option to require the breaker to exchange the position any two balls (except the one and nine or ten, of course).

After the position exchange the breaker racks the balls tight and breaks. No touching the balls after you've lifted the triangle.

This solution is based on the theory that you can destroy any pattern by exchanging the position of just two balls. Try it; you'll see that it works.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People complain about pattern racking, but the rules require you put 1/3 of the balls in a certain spot. The 1 in front,9 in the middle, and the 2 in the back.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Watching the finals link.
After it's 1-0 KO, the commentators are watching SVB rack talking about SVB pattern racking and how he really has it down to a science.
THEN LATER
KO gets called on pattern racking by SVB.
And the commentators said that Shane was pattern racking before and the coach told them that "they" copied it.
And then SVB calls him on it?
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Got to love all the nuthuggers out there.
Luck this, luck that, SVB is the greatest, KO is a hack poolplayer etc etc, but NOT A PEEP about their boy pattern racking and then calling KO out on the exact same thing.
:rolleyes::D

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Watching the finals link.
After it's 1-0 KO, the commentators are watching SVB rack talking about SVB pattern racking and how he really has it down to a science.
THEN LATER
KO gets called on pattern racking by SVB.
And the commentators said that Shane was pattern racking before and the coach told them that "they" copied it.
And then SVB calls him on it?
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Got to love all the nuthuggers out there.
Luck this, luck that, SVB is the greatest, KO is a hack poolplayer etc etc, but NOT A PEEP about their boy pattern racking and then calling KO out on the exact same thing.
:rolleyes::D

Well said. But the funniest thing of all is that most of them didn't even know the 2ball MUST go in the back. lol

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Well said. But the funniest thing of all is that most of them didn't even know the 2ball MUST go in the back. lol

See, something like that, where it's ok for you to do it but not for someone else to do it, and then calling them on it, is just a straight 100% MOVE.

SVB is one of the greatest players in history. But let's not make a mistake about what calling KO out for pattern racking while not having a problem with doing it himself, really is.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Pattern racking and rack rigging has made 9 ball a joke (an even bigger joke, some will say). In a final or semi-final of a WPC with referees present, there is really no excuse to let the players rack their own. IMO it was a stupid oversight, that could have been easily corrected without cost. Any match with a referee should not have the players racking. Easy as that.

While I love to play 9 ball for fun with friends, the racking shenanigans and the fact that the break has been figured out to 3 decimal places is slowly but surely removing any shred of credibility 9 ball had as a true test of champions skills. While the top elite always find their way to the top, I'm really not certain that the best player actually won this years WPC (and I don't think Shane is the one, btw). There are just too many rolls, to much "half-cheating" like rigging the rack and pattern racking etc to be a true test of the miniscule differences in skill that do exist between the top pros. It has regressed to be a sort of lottery for the top 20.

9 ball is too well established to be replaced by a new game, so we need to work with what we've got. The first thing is to get rid of the pattern racking. Referee should rack, failing that the opponent should be able to inspect the rack and trade places of 2 balls like someone suggested. The break regulation with 3 balls over the line, while not perfect is the best we've got right now. I've always been against the alternate break format, but I'm kind of coming around on that too. It gives the rolls a chance to even out, at least.

Oh well, I'm off to play some 10 ball.