Cool old video of "the Great One"

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You folks may have seen this before, but I just came across it recently. Pretty cool interview with Jackie Gleason in his home poolroom playing some straight pool. They sure don't make 'em like him anymore. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/249315753

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanx....never saw that.
I like the part where he said Paul Newman became a good player.
Paul told a story where Jackie lost to him at a buck a game....
...then talked him into a game for a hundred...Paul didn’t get to make a ball...:eek:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
:):):):)...yeah, you would like that

He played the character Minnesota Fats so well because he could play the game.

image.jpg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They edited his first shot. Moved the cue ball to his favor. :)
Saw this a while ago.

" Was there a bar in your train?"

" Was there a bar in my train ???? The train was the bar."

Apparently, he had a fear of flying. So, he had his own train. :eek:

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I could watch and or listen to Jackie all day long. He was truly "THE GREAT ONE"
Thank you for posting this but it's too short, but it would be too short regardless on how long it was.

Tom

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since were tellin' tales about the Great One.

Toots Shor, the famous NYC restaurant owner, introduced Gleason and Mosconi.

Gleason thought himself quite the pool player and Shor introduced Willie as a dress manufacturer from Philly who played pool. Gleason, who liked to skin lambs, knew of Mosconi in name but didn't know the face. They went to a pool hall close by and decided to play 100 points of 14.1 for $50 a game. Mosconi stalled the first game winning like 100-70. Gleason says words to the effect: this guy was born with a horseshoe in his mouth.

They jack it to $100 a game.

Willie runs 70 off Gleason's break then runs the last 30 left handed.

Gleason does his famous, " homminhuh, homminhuh, homminhuh." Shor is laughing so hard he can't stand up straight but finally introduces them.

Lou Figueroa
all from Mosconi's
autobiography

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since were tellin' tales about the Great One.

Toots Shor, the famous NYC restaurant owner, introduced Gleason and Mosconi.

Gleason thought himself quite the pool player and Shor introduced Willie as a dress manufacturer from Philly who played pool. Gleason, who liked to skin lambs, knew of Mosconi in name but didn't know the face. They went to a pool hall close by and decided to play 100 points of 14.1 for $50 a game. Mosconi stalled the first game winning like 100-70. Gleason says words to the effect: this guy was born with a horseshoe in his mouth.

They jack it to $100 a game.

Willie runs 70 off Gleason's break then runs the last 30 left handed.

Gleason does his famous, " homminhuh, homminhuh, homminhuh." Shor is laughing so hard he can't stand up straight but finally introduces them.

Lou Figueroa
all from Mosconi's
autobiography

Great story