Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john.jpg
Seems like a standup type of guy, a class act IMO.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m simply curious to hear some examples of straight pool knowledge that come only from years of playing straight pool. And that would prohibit a player like Dennis from accomplishing a similar feat if he were to apply himself.

If you are specifically referring to world class pros who do not play straight pool vs world class pros who play a lot of straight pool you are talking about players who have mastered many aspects of pool in general. I don't think I could tell you for sure what a guy like Dennis might be lacking, but then it might be only one small thing that makes the difference between 300 and a miss vs continuing the run.

A couple of possible differences come to mind for me:

1. Short distance speed control. There are situations where you need to put the cue ball on a dime at short distance. If you've been playing only 9 ball this might be a problem. By problem I mean you miss this kind of position only 1 or 2 out of 10 times, but that's enough to end a run.

2. Playing position while breaking up a cluster. Knowing how balls pop out of a cluster and at what speed, where the cue ball will end up, etc. isn't easy to do if you haven't worked on that skill.

3. Getting the cue ball in optimal position for the break shot. You need to be able to get that cue ball right where it needs to be from anywhere on the table. Great straight pool players have that zone where the cue ball needs to go burned into their muscle memory.

I'm sure I could come up with many more. I note that you say that every rack is the same and all Schmidt had to worry about was the break ball. That's the mark of a great run... it looked easy to you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm with John on this. I want the record to last for a while.

I don't agree with John that many others are capable of such a run, maybe just the few, but the commitment it would require is not something I can imagine of any of them. Even if a few others like Darren, Thorsten, Dennis, Niels, Filler, Melling, even SVB are, perhaps, technically capable of such a run, so what? John's level of commitment has been almost superhuman in his pursuit of this record, and that's the ingredient that got him to the finish line in his ambitious endeavor of topping Mosconi. I really don't think he has much to worry about as far as the record falling anytime soon.

I'm impressed, but not surprised, that John understands that his magnificent, history-making run, doesn't make him more than one of the best few of this era of straight pool. He is, indeed, one of the best of this era and his special accomplishment will be remembered for a long time.

Will this run provide any momentum for pool? It's possible, but by no means certain. When Roger Bannister broke the four minute mile (same year as Willie's 526), it was front page news in England. He became a legend known to all and even went on to be knighted. Similarly, when Bradley Wiggins became the first Englishman to win the Tour De France in 2012, he got the same fanfare as Bannister, with headlines galore and TV appearances and he, too, was knighted. Remarkably, it was Queen Elizabeth II that presided over the knighting of both Bannister and Wiggins, each of whom brought great attention to their not-so-mainstream sports.

Will John's run put pool in the spotlight? An article or two in major national papers won't add up to much, but the opportunity remains to properly publicize what has happened here if John and those around him are able to execute a publicity plan skillfully. Perhaps John can find a way to give a show at the White House, appear on the Tonight Show or one of the National Morning Shows like the Today Show. That's the kind of thing that would bring positive attention to the sport. John is charismatic and would make such opportunities count. Lest we forget, Jean Balukas was on national TV a couple of times.

I know finance, not marketing, but hopefully someone who knows marketing can bring the proper level of publicity to this wonderful and historic achievement.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that an odd request, makes sense.

john.jpg

Its a really odd statement in a way...on the one had he says please don't break my record...on the other he says, people don't realise how tough it was.

Personally I doubt anyone will post a higher run in a hurry, but if I were a pro I would never ask my fellow pro's not to try, it just downplays the achievement and makes it sound like plenty of people could and would do it if they could be bothered!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Its a really odd statement in a way...on the one had he says please don't break my record...on the other he says, people don't realise how tough it was.

Personally I doubt anyone will post a higher run in a hurry, but if I were a pro I would never ask my fellow pro's not to try, it just downplays the achievement and makes it sound like plenty of people could and would do it if they could be bothered!
I agree, diminishing his own accomplishment isn't a good look.

He should be smack talking, not back walking.

pj
chgo

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crane , balsis ,lassiter , caras , mizerak , sigel , rempe , hopkins , varner , west ,nagy , ortmann , engert and hohmann .
mosconis record survived them all .

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned this, but to me, it would actually be in poor taste for another pro to immediately try to break the record.

Think about it. Every other pro had plenty time to try this on their own, but then they only decide to try it right after John did it?

Good pool players have big egos. It goes with the territory. I'm not surprised that some of the elite players will realize to themselves that if someone with John's skill level could do it, that they most certainly could do it. I think that they all see how much attention and recognition John is now getting.

Yes, I've said it before too, a handful of the other elite ball runners probably had a BETTER chance to beat the record than John, had they played nothing but 14.1 for a long time trying to break the record.

But attempting to break John's new record right now would be in poor taste, since they hadn't even the slightest inclination to do it before they saw John do it! Them doing it immediately would be all about their own ego. Yuck. Show John some REAL respect and wait as least a year before trying.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Up until John broke the record, players were in awe because Willie owned it and he was "The Man", "The Myth", "The Legend".

Many players probably thought they could never run as many balls as Willie because Willie was "The Man" and he couldn't get beyond 526 and that became the "Magical Number".

Now that John has the record, there are probably many pros out there who don't necessarily think John is now "The Man" because they have beaten him before or they are rated higher in the world in the bigger scheme of pool.

Pandora's Box has now been opened. No longer does a "God" hold the record...a mortal man, John, does.

There may be more attempts to break John's record than were ever seriously tried to break Willie's.

Tap tap tap
Perfectly stated.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone beat 626...yes, but they won't.

The amount of time and dedication that's needed, pretty much eliminates most.

The easy comparison people will make is..Example-Well Dennis plays at a much higher level than John...so he can run more balls. I don't think that applies to this record.

This record was near and dear to John. That's why he dedicated so much time and energy to it.

Unless someone offers a ridiculous amount of money to beat 626...I don't see anyone else willing to spend the time and effort to beat it.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned this, but to me, it would actually be in poor taste for another pro to immediately try to break the record.

Think about it. Every other pro had plenty time to try this on their own, but then they only decide to try it right after John did it?

Good pool players have big egos. It goes with the territory. I'm not surprised that some of the elite players will realize to themselves that if someone with John's skill level could do it, that they most certainly could do it. I think that they all see how much attention and recognition John is now getting.

Yes, I've said it before too, a handful of the other elite ball runners probably had a BETTER chance to beat the record than John, had they played nothing but 14.1 for a long time trying to break the record.

But attempting to break John's new record right now would be in poor taste, since they hadn't even the slightest inclination to do it before they saw John do it! Them doing it immediately would be all about their own ego. Yuck. Show John some REAL respect and wait as least a year before trying.

If someone shoots a new course record in the 1st round of the masters, should the other players all play conservatively to ensure they don't set a new record too quickly?

Of course not.

In professional sport, every pro should be trying to win / be the best at every possible opportunity. For most that will be tournament wins or money matches, but if someone has the opportunity and talent to go for a new record, they should do it.

If a record needs protecting then it suggests its not that difficult to beat (which I don't believe to be the case).

I don't believe anyone will beat it in a hurry as it requires a great deal of time, effort and skill. Having all 3 is a tough ask, given most pro's will have to travel around a lot, however no pro should ever back down from a chance at winning / setting a record just out of 'respect'...that is not what professional sport is about.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Could someone beat 626...yes, but they won't.

The amount of time and dedication that's needed, pretty much eliminates most.

The easy comparison people will make is..Example-Well Dennis plays at a much higher level than John...so he can run more balls. I don't think that applies to this record.

This record was near and dear to John. That's why he dedicated so much time and energy to it.

Unless someone offers a ridiculous amount of money to beat 626...I don't see anyone else willing to spend the time and effort to beat it.
While I agree that Dennis will find out that running that big of a number won't be easy for anyone, regardless of their skill level -- I agree, that it will take a LOT of dedication, time, and energy to pull off -- even for the very elite ball runners. But they could do it if they spent enough time at it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My worthless opinion.

Dennis might have the skill to do it but look at what John did to get there. He played nothing but 14.1 several hours daily for weeks on end. A lot of people would have quit out of frustration. I think 626 will stand for a long time. How long did 526 stand? 60 years?

Regarding John asking other pros not to try for a year I really don't think he has anything to worry about but the reason he is saying that is so he can get the money from the dvd.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If someone shoots a new course record in the 1st round of the masters, should the other players all play conservatively to ensure they don't set a new record too quickly?

Of course not.

In professional sport, every pro should be trying to win / be the best at every possible opportunity. For most that will be tournament wins or money matches, but if someone has the opportunity and talent to go for a new record, they should do it.

If a record needs protecting then it suggests its not that difficult to beat (which I don't believe to be the case).

I don't believe anyone will beat it in a hurry as it requires a great deal of time, effort and skill. Having all 3 is a tough ask, given most pro's will have to travel around a lot, however no pro should ever back down from a chance at winning / setting a record just out of 'respect'...that is not what professional sport is about.
But no other player is realistically trying to break that specific record. Playing 14.1 tournaments and continuing a good run won't break the record IMO. The odds are just too overwhelmingly against doing it that way and there are hardly any 14.1 tournaments to begin with, so your point relating it to golf isn't valid at all IMO.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Good for 14.1 but not next month

Agree with J.S.
I think Dennis can do it. Don’t understand why he would come out with jealousy or disrespect, but this type of reaction can happen among elite players. Ego.

I think another thing to recognize if this number keeps rising in the next decade is the possibility that Mr. Mosconi also realized it was just a number and no equal to winning titles in tournament play.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What few are asking is "why would someone who plays 9/10 ball for a living suddenly devote all their energies to trying to set a high run record in straight pool?" Surely, their rotation game skills would slip if they took this course, so why would they do this.

John's commitment to the high run record may never be equaled, and that's why I think he will hold the record for a long, long time.