The best close up I’ve seen on the Jonny svb shirt incident of 2019

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
That may technically have been a foul but it's not like he cleaned his tip on the carpet or anything like that.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would have gone against Johnny if they reviewed the shot on the Video. They can do this on the TV table at Turning Stone.

Isn't the chickenshit part waiting until he shoots to call foul, so you get the table with ball in hand?

Instead of saying you hit a ball and just replacing it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Isn't the chickenshit part waiting until he shoots to call foul, so you get the table with ball in hand?

Instead of saying you hit a ball and just replacing it?
I thought it was "cue ball fouls" prior to the tip hitting the ball and "all ball fouls after the tip hits the ball. That would make it no foul up to the shot.

I tried to look for the rules but could not find them. Anyone have a link?

I think that any rule set that sets out a particular timing for a foul to have occurred, as I'm assuming above, is very, very remarkable.

Edit: evidently (according to rumor posted elsewhere) it was being played all ball fouls. In that case, the rules are not so remarkable. It is possible the ball was touched during/after the shot, in which case it has to be called after the shot.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I think it is COMPLETELY And TOTALLY on the tournament directors and promoters.

You can't have a rule that requires arbitration without a referree. Anyone who gets pissed at the opponent calling a foul when there is a foul is petty IMO.

They make the rule, in a perfect world you would trust the opponent to call it on themselves. I know I would and I know that Oscar D. would. This is pool, there are people that would move the ball 2 inches and then swear up and down they didn't touch it.

I trust Johnny Archer to call it on himself IF he knows he touched it, but if I see him touch it and I don't think he knows he did AND there's no ref there to call it. I'm calling it and wouldn't blame anyone who does.

Jaden
This is right on . I concur!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://reddit.app.link/TuN83ONlqZ

I’m always rooting for SVB but I think he’s in the wrong here. Johnny never touched the 7. Starts at 10 sec:

While he may have touched it, it did not move a smidge and from how it was shot, no way would Johnny have been aware he touched it, also I find it hard to think that Shane from his seat would be able to see the shirt on the ball with such a light touch that it did not move it even as the ball was shot clearly enough to make the call.

The issue is, you can't have all ball fouls with just brushing a ball with clothing and not have a ref there to make the call. Very close to a ball and touching a ball without moving it is not easy to spot from 8, 10 feet away.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was "cue ball fouls" prior to the tip hitting the ball and "all ball fouls after the tip hits the ball. That would make it no foul up to the shot.

I tried to look for the rules but could not find them. Anyone have a link?

I think that any rule set that sets out a particular timing for a foul to have occurred, as I'm assuming above, is very, very remarkable.

Edit: evidently (according to rumor posted elsewhere) it was being played all ball fouls. In that case, the rules are not so remarkable. It is possible the ball was touched during/after the shot, in which case it has to be called after the shot.

Zuglan's rule is cue ball fouls only until you actively shoot. So if setting up on a shot you hit a object ball with your shirt you turn to the opponent, tell them you touched it and permit them to replace it. If you shoot and touch another ball it is a foul.

This is a very good rule for non referred matches. ALL RULES can be manipulated. The move here is to wait and call the foul once the shot is made.

In central NY we all play these rules. The best thing is to call a neutral party on any shot that has a high potential for a foul. Most of the time I call someone to watch and that puts the opponent at ease and removes us both from any controversy.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Zuglan's rule is cue ball fouls only until you actively shoot. So if setting up on a shot you hit a object ball with your shirt you turn to the opponent, tell them you touched it and permit them to replace it. If you shoot and touch another ball it is a foul.

This is a very good rule for non referred matches. ALL RULES can be manipulated. The move here is to wait and call the foul once the shot is made.

In central NY we all play these rules. The best thing is to call a neutral party on any shot that has a high potential for a foul. Most of the time I call someone to watch and that puts the opponent at ease and removes us both from any controversy.
I like the Filipino way, where some random dude with a piece of chalk marks a ball that might possibly move, so that it can be replaced to the spot it originally lay.

Freddie <~~~ bring your own rooster

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I made a gif that shows the movement about as well as it can be seen on the video:

https://i.imgur.com/RjJ7GKO.gifv

At first it seems like zero movement but if you look at the bottom right of the ball it seems like... Something? The number? Rotates a little. Or it could just be a video glitch or reflection.

It's possible to touch a ball without moving it. It's also possible to move it an amount that is smaller than 1 pixel of the video. At this quality level, a movement of 1mm wouldn't be visible.

They need to pick either all ball fouls or cue ball fouls only. If it's all ball fouls, it doesn't matter if Johnny touched a ball without moving it, or touched it AND moved it, and it wouldn't matter if it happened before, during, or after the stroke. It's a clearcut foul in all cases.

Similarly, if it's cue ball fouls only, it's still clearcut. Not a foul, period.

The only way this is a debate, is when you have this weird rule where the seated player can see the shooter nudge a ball, choose to keep quiet, and after the stroke it changes from minor infraction to ball-in-hand foul.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make one set of rules and stick with them.

If it is everything is a foul, then so be it and quit the whining about it.

Not some silly bullshit about if you touched anything before or after the shot was in progress.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make one set of rules and stick with them.

If it is everything is a foul, then so be it and quit the whining about it.

Not some silly bullshit about if you touched anything before or after the shot was in progress.
Totally agree. Either foul on all balls or cb fouls only. This before/in progress/after stuff is nonsense.