Why is slow nap cloth no longer used?

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it is a slower cloth and its harder to play on since you have to hit the cue ball harder. You actually needed a stroke to get around the table playing on a nap cloth.

At most any point of contention: Yes.

Slower cloth does require a higher average speed of stroke. Higher speed, more mechanically induced stroke error.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the days of slow cloth and bigger pockets were way more fun than today. In those conditions the player could let his stroke out on most all shots and almost never had to "slow roll" a ball....i hate slow rolling at all levels. I've always believed that a nice, crisp stun-stroke was the most consistent for me.

Today's equipment is not more fun, not in the least.

Jeff

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I use slow rolling a cue ball on rare occasions.
A simple stop shot and sometimes a stun shot is better.
Obviously it is not for every shot that comes up.
Slow rolling a cueball to get shape seems more error susceptible.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Personally I use slow rolling a cue ball on rare occasions.
A simple stop shot and sometimes a stun shot is better.
Obviously it is not for every shot that comes up.
Slow rolling a cueball to get shape seems more error susceptible.

Irving Crane felt most players hit the ball too hard.....
...so much of that speed people like to use is not having control...over their stroke...
...and over their emotions.
Efren could hit a ball slower than most under pressure.

I have probably played on slower cloth that most most posters here have ever seen...
...and I didn’t like it.....you’re forced to play a pedestrian game on it.
Fast cloth WIDENS the gap between players...because the great players have so many
more options on it.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Irving Crane felt most players hit the ball too hard.....
...so much of that speed people like to use is not having control...over their stroke...
...and over their emotions.
Efren could hit a ball slower than most under pressure.

I have probably played on slower cloth that most most posters here have ever seen...
...and I didn’t like it.....you’re forced to play a pedestrian game on it.
Fast cloth WIDENS the gap between players...because the great players have so many
more options on it.

I believe that it was Willie Mosconi who said "only two ways to hit a ball, slow and slower".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe that it was Willie Mosconi who said "only two ways to hit a ball, slow and slower".

Yes, and believe it or not, when the great Cisero Murphy asked Mosconi for some advice about his game some fifty years ago, Mosconi told him he was hitting the balls too hard.

In more modern times, Burt Kinister has always said that nearly all players hit the balls too hard.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never heard that slow greens were better for better players i have always heards the reverse

better players are the only ones who can putt on faster greens ie masters and u s opens

i grew up on slow greens of Bermuda,i never could adjust to real fast green

actually fast cloth requires a very good stroke to hit the ball slowly

how often do we hear the commentator mention that a firmer stroke is necessary for longer staight ins

yet notice alex and tony slow rolling those shots

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’ve never heard that....it’s a nice one.....one way of stating Occam’s razor...
“It is vain to do with more what you can do with less.”

On an unrelated note....if I miscued as often as I make typos....
...I wouldn’t have beat a living human...:mad:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the days of slow cloth and bigger pockets were way more fun than today. In those conditions the player could let his stroke out on most all shots and almost never had to "slow roll" a ball....i hate slow rolling at all levels. I've always believed that a nice, crisp stun-stroke was the most consistent for me.

Today's equipment is not more fun, not in the least.

Jeff

I agree.

The faster tables have made the game worse, if you ask me.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Have you ever played on it? Its like rolling a giant bowling ball through corn stalks.

It's crazy. Get a cheap enough slow cloth, and you can HEAR the ball rolling across the table. That shit cost me a military title in Germany 20 years ago.

I mean, I definitely played on my share of heavy nap cloth, but that stuff was ridiculous.. And the guy I played in the finals played out of that rec center exclusively. And he was a good player to boot.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
i never heard that slow greens were better for better players i have always heards the reverse

better players are the only ones who can putt on faster greens ie masters and u s opens

i grew up on slow greens of Bermuda,i never could adjust to real fast green

actually fast cloth requires a very good stroke to hit the ball slowly

how often do we hear the commentator mention that a firmer stroke is necessary for longer straight ins

yet notice alex and tony slow rolling those shots

I don't think Alex Pagulayan rolls long straight ins in which the cue ball has to travel a long distance to reach the object ball? Do you have a link to him shooting such a shot? You got me curious now.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow cloth with dead rails is torture. Slower cloth with lively rails is perfectly playable. Fast cloth with lively rails is more like pinball.

I think the "slowness" of the older tables is overstated a bit. Based on video of games played on Gold Crowns in and around the 60's, things looked just fine to me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Steven's 22oz 80/20 woven woolen cloth was the best playing cloth ever made, but marketing changed everything, and not for the better!!

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the current top snooker and chinese 8 ball cloths are fast as hell, don't skid, and play more true than any simonis

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
slow cloth and slow greens in golf make it better for the better player.

in pool as said above you need a stronger stroke with slow cloth. fast cloth makes the game easier and for many more fun. but has changed pool from what it was.

“More powerful” and “better” have different meanings.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up on the slow cloth with larger pockets (5" approx) and used to spin the ball around the table.

When I came back to the game last year, the new style of table really threw me off. My spin game was off and the cloth and tiny pockets made it even worse. I've finally gotten better at it but still struggle with speed as the ball just keeps rolling sometimes.

Modern pool seems more sterile to me than the old version. IDK, maybe it was the cigarette smoke inside that gave it more ambiance :cool:

One man’s ambience is another man’s suicide.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Alex Pagulayan rolls long straight ins in which the cue ball has to travel a long distance to reach the object ball? Do you have a link to him shooting such a shot? You got me curious now.

Super slow roll kick shots in 1p. Alex might be the best ever at that.

KMRUNOUT

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about we "speed up" baseball.

Maybe it should be played in an ice rink and the players wore skates.

It should speed the game up some and make it BETTER.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Funny thing about the Steven's 22oz Superweave cloth, even though it was a woven woolen cloth....on tables I rebuilt, the cue ball would still travel the length of the 9ft end to end 5 rails, and 9 rails around the table, so slow cloth....no it wasn't, but it did have a lot less ball skids that's for damn sure, and the pockets didn't tighten up and reject well hit balls if the happen to graze a rail on the way in!!! And slates were much easier to maintain level on that's for damn sure too!!