Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Super Billiards expo 2020?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-05-2019, 02:57 AM

Henry...You mean Barry Behrmann, not Hearn. Barry Hearn's first US Open 9 Ball tournament was last April in Vegas. That was part of the deal when he bought the rights from Brady and Shannon, Barry's kids.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
You mean the US Open 9-Ball, under Matchroom booked their event to compete on the same weekend as SBX.

US Open under Barry Hearn was always in September/October, not March/April as SBX.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#17)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Yes, Scott, I mixed up my Barrys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Henry...You mean Barry Behrmann, not Hearn. Barry Hearn's first US Open 9 Ball tournament was last April in Vegas. That was part of the deal when he bought the rights from Brady and Shannon, Barry's kids.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#18)
dnixon
AzB Silver Member
dnixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond reputednixon has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Itís just too bad that both promoters couldnít find other dates. What I mean is out of 52 weeks they couldnít find a week were no big event is going on. To get one And not the other itís just a bully move Just my opinion but who am I? What do we have here in the US the expo derby city the opens Every other year the cup Just seems like thereís a lot of weekends or weeks that thereís no major events going on here in the US.

Old
  (#19)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 01:59 AM

Yeah, I know. Let's all blame Allen Hopkins, who has only been running Super Billiards Expo for the last 26 years in a row, for his shortsightedness in this booking date conflict. It's not like he's predictable *sarcasm off*

https://superbilliardsexpo.com/future/
April 16-19, 2020
April 15-18, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnixon View Post
Itís just too bad that both promoters couldnít find other dates. What I mean is out of 52 weeks they couldnít find a week were no big event is going on. To get one And not the other itís just a bully move Just my opinion but who am I? What do we have here in the US the expo derby city the opens Every other year the cup Just seems like thereís a lot of weekends or weeks that thereís no major events going on here in the US.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#20)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Let the open suffer??? Lol. If you are comparing the men's "pro" tournament at SBE to the US Open it's not even in the same universe.

Sure, let one of the biggest pro events in the world suffer to have an afterthought "pro" event - you should be in charge of pool in the US

Btw, how much $$$$ is added to the US Open compared to the afterthought SBE event?
Totally agree. Comparing a regional pro event to one of the biggest in the world is ludicrous.

Old
  (#21)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnixon View Post
One word brother: hyphenation. Write it so it makes at least some sense. Cell phone? Pretty sure they have commas and periods.

Old
  (#22)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I think you need to double check your Barry's

Maybe if Hopkins added enough money to make it a WPA event, it would have been on the WPA calendar, and Matchroom may have noticed it. As it stood for the past 20 years, the event rarely attracted more than 3 or 4 international pros. Most of the field in the 20 years past has been made of local Philly/NJ top locals.
Ugh...no . Thats just not true

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#23)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Another thing, there are thousands of amateurs at SBE and the only way they go watch the "pros" is if its free!

I cant believe they even have a "pro" event anymore, I mean, good for them, but it seems like a bad business decision.

Leave all the 9 footers at home and make the action room bigger.
God so much bullshit in this thread.. that room is packed for every session. I didnít even go the last 2 years because it was constantly standing room only especially at night and all those people paid.

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#24)
SBC
Banned
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 09:27 AM

When America puts all it's faith in Europeans to save pool...we get what we deserve.

Old
  (#25)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
God so much bullshit in this thread.. that room is packed for every session. I didnít even go the last 2 years because it was constantly standing room only especially at night and all those people paid.
Wrong. Its added into the general admission price now, prior to that none of those cheap b@$+@^%s paid to see the pros.

Old
  (#26)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
I lived in Philly until 10 years ago, and went to the Expo every year from like late 90's to 10 years ago. I never saw the pro event packed. More like mostly empty. It was something like $20 cash to sweat one session. Maybe $15. And that was on top of the admission to enter the expo. Also, most of the people I saw in the stands were the local or regional serious pool players. None of the bar bangers that were there for that tap or whatever it was called cared to watch the pros.

The class of the field IMO was like the Joss Turning Stone. Maybe 5 or 6 TOP pros, and the rest were the top regional players.

The women's pro event was off again, on again. Never knew if it was going to happen. And some years when it did there were like 14 players if I recall.

Those were my observations.

If its free now, that's a different situation.

Old
  (#27)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

10-06-2019, 01:55 PM

When the expo first moved the admission price was raised, but this now included entry into pro arena at no additional cost. During this time the stands were mostly filled. After two or three years a fee was once again charged for entry to see the pros. The expo fee remained at the higher price.
I Really don't have problem with this. Everything costs more. I have no idea what it costs to produce such an event.
I did not watch the pro last year for the first time in twenty years. I don't mind paying, but I can watch players at this level play locally

Old
  (#28)
AzHousePro
Administrator

AzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond reputeAzHousePro has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2428

10-07-2019, 02:37 PM

This is a topic that was brought up on ABR last month.

I admit that I am biased in this observation, but if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. Instead, we have a number of individual promoters who's mentality is "I added it to the calendar on my site, it's everyone else's fault if they didn't see it."

We keep treating professional pool like "amateur hour" and it is going to be perceived by everyone as "amateur hour".

Name: Mike
Cue: Layani w/ Predator Shaft
Break Cue: X-Breaker
Hours of pool: Not enough
Cue Collection: Bludworth

Old
  (#29)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

10-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHousePro View Post
This is a topic that was brought up on ABR last month.

I admit that I am biased in this observation, but if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. Instead, we have a number of individual promoters who's mentality is "I added it to the calendar on my site, it's everyone else's fault if they didn't see it."

We keep treating professional pool like "amateur hour" and it is going to be perceived by everyone as "amateur hour".
To be fair, SBE is more of a regional event - certainly lower than TS events.

Also, both of these events require a large venue that may not be available any other time. You certainly cant just book Mandalay at any time.

Old
  (#30)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHousePro View Post
... if there was only a website somewhere with a calendar that tried to list all of the major events, then maybe things like this wouldn't happen. ...
My view: any professional event in the US should have the sanctioning of the governing body of the sport in the US, and this should especially apply to events that have a significant number of international players. That would automatically establish a calendar.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: