how to fine tune my 9 ball game

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can I do a break and run? no way, as I cannot control the cue ball on the break, but thats another problem. can I run 9 balls in rotation? very rarely, I always get close, but something goes wrong. can I run 7 balls? yes, most times with a little cheating.

this is where im at now. I always make at least one mistake, always. either a missed shot or a missed position. or I will make the right shot with the right spin, and end up perfect for my next shot, EXCEPT Im off by one inch, or got blocked by another ball. im very close.

but I keep doing the same thing night after night,( 3 hours of practice daily). everyday I think its going to get better, but I still keep basically flailing.

yes I do some drills, but to me it seems better for me to shoot a rack of 9 ball, try to run out, and when I do make a missed shot, I will rehit the shot till I make it.

so my question is should I keep just shooting a rack or 7-8-9 balls, or should I be doing something else to get myself to stop making small mistakes.?

5 and 6 balls I can do pretty good at, my missed position comes when I add more balls

I can move the cue ball pretty good, but have no real knowledge of speed control yet. will that come with more time on the table?.

I dont want to win the US open. I dont want to beat Shane in a race to 10. ALL I WANT TO DO IS TO BE ABLE TO MAKE 9 BALLS IN A ROW!!!!! IS THAT ASKING TO MUCH?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not an instructor
but rather than frustrate yourself
can you run 4
8 out of 10
5/6/7/8/
whatever number you cant do 8 out of 10
stop there until you can
jmho
icbw
good luck in your journey
of course having an instructor watch you would help in your stroke flaws and pattern decisions

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...rather than frustrate yourself
can you run 4
8 out of 10
5/6/7/8/
whatever number you cant do 8 out of 10
stop there until you can
Good advice. Here's a slightly different version...

Progressive practice:
- start with the number of balls you think you can certainly run
- if you run them, add one and go again
- if you don't run them, subtract one and go again
- rinse, repeat

This keeps you challenged without being too discouraging and keeps a running record of how many balls you're likely to run (something most players don't know).

Start by breaking and then removing the highest numbered balls until the right number remain.

of course having an instructor watch you would help in your stroke flaws and pattern decisions
More good advice.

This will undoubtedly be the biggest game changer for you. Keep practicing, but practice your form/stroke too (maybe mostly).

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yo judo, I relate to your post. I break and run from time to time, but that's as much as I can brag..most of the time I am *great* at self-sabotage tho:thumbup:

now if I accurately recall your posting history, you haven't been playing too long- ?
anyway, you say you have trouble with speed. right there is a good reason not to beat yourself up too much.
be realistic..if you don't got it, you don't got it..it's cool, just means you gotta keep working
and you will get it...there's no substitute for experience

I've tried what larry and pat advise (starting small and working your way up),
and it works for several reasons.
1. shows you what your actual level is
2. shows you specifically where you need to improve
3. is an approach that allows you to grow as you go,
and build confidence organically

and of course breaking can be crucial, especially in 9-ball,
I'm not saying don't practice that
but also maybe try just throwing some balls out there
you can make clusters, rail shots, etc. if you like, or not-
but give yourself ball in hand
and see how well you do with the balls open
again, start small, and work your way up
just keep going...

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
When you miss you have to know and understand why you missed, and fix it. Too much spin usually, or take you eye off the ball, or a brain fart. Keep trying.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played for 13 months, every day for at least 2 hours. started with no natural talent at all, so I have put in some work. will keep chipping away. thanks for the advices.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can I do a break and run? no way, as I cannot control the cue ball on the break, but thats another problem.

My 1st step would be to tell myself I can do it. Next, the break, practice just the break until you can control it. Next, tell yourself you can do it and keep going.

When I'm struggling, I shut my mind/consciouse off and will set a shot up and shoot it a hundred times. When practicing like this, you don't even realize you shot the shot a hundred times. The problem shots and position errors become success. The feeling I'm talking about is like going to the dentist to get a cavity filled. Shutting the conscience off like getting novocain at the dentist to get your cavity taken care of.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure you've heard that "a picture is worth a thousand words". So probably a video could be worth 10 thousand words.
It's extremely difficult to advise anyone on this forum without seeing them play. Due to lack of information you have to deal with generalities instead of specifics.
So if there's any way possible to post a video then the advice will be of higher quality and of much greater value to you.
Another thing. Are you just practicing by yourself at home? Playing other people is essential to improving.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practicing alone is a good thing. It's necessary. But the key to getting better is diversity. You have to get out there and play other players, watch better players, ask better players questions. You will only go so far in a bubble. YouTube isn't going to cut it for you either. You need the human element. Immerse yourself in the subculture.

diazr3

Registered
the best thing you can do for your game is straight shots. Set up long straight shots. Can you follow the ball in a straight line 12 inches? 6 inches? what about 2 inches? Can you draw the same? These are all shots that come up in any game of pool. Set up these shots, do 40,50, 100 at a time. Your body will learn very soon.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
can I do a break and run? no way, as I cannot control the cue ball on the break, but thats another problem. can I run 9 balls in rotation? very rarely, I always get close, but something goes wrong. can I run 7 balls? yes, most times with a little cheating.

this is where im at now. I always make at least one mistake, always. either a missed shot or a missed position. or I will make the right shot with the right spin, and end up perfect for my next shot, EXCEPT Im off by one inch, or got blocked by another ball. im very close.

but I keep doing the same thing night after night,( 3 hours of practice daily). everyday I think its going to get better, but I still keep basically flailing.

yes I do some drills, but to me it seems better for me to shoot a rack of 9 ball, try to run out, and when I do make a missed shot, I will rehit the shot till I make it.

so my question is should I keep just shooting a rack or 7-8-9 balls, or should I be doing something else to get myself to stop making small mistakes.?

5 and 6 balls I can do pretty good at, my missed position comes when I add more balls

I can move the cue ball pretty good, but have no real knowledge of speed control yet. will that come with more time on the table?.

I dont want to win the US open. I dont want to beat Shane in a race to 10. ALL I WANT TO DO IS TO BE ABLE TO MAKE 9 BALLS IN A ROW!!!!! IS THAT ASKING TO MUCH?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Expecting to do this and in turn this will happen is "pie in the sky'' thinking. Matching up, nothing better. In life there's always a Cost for ones mistakes, and that cost comes in many forms, Not always financial.

To not put your game in situations like this....is not how pool works.

In sports and life, I've learned to expect nothing just hope for the best. If you improve then so be it, but expecting to get good at this game (any game) that is physically thee most difficult, the most precise, with room and equipment conditions that can be worse than playing golf in a downpour....because the conditions are NOT anywhere as visible as in a rain storm, (there's a reason 3 cushion pro tables are heated) but ''expecting'' to get good just because you do this is the man in the mirror moment.

This game will test ones character like no other, because ones mistakes are always so infinitesimal, and beginners not understanding the game in its entirety and Expecting this to happen/because of that, and not having the full reasoning behind the situation, that only tweaks ones character again and again, till something gives. Some are not cut out for this Difficult, precise game that looks Simple.

JUDOCHOKE name....feels like this fits your OP, I'm not slinging mud, just reality.

Last edited:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the handle judochoke because I got a blackbelt in Kotokan judo. I started judo on my 40 birthday, basically trained 5 days a week for two years at various judo clubs. took me 2 years to get my black belt of steady training and tournaments.

and let me tell you, shooting pool is much harder than judo. im not talking just banging balls in a bar, im trying to get really good at this game.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the handle judochoke because I got a blackbelt in Kotokan judo. I started judo on my 40 birthday, basically trained 5 days a week for two years at various judo clubs. took me 2 years to get my black belt of steady training and tournaments.

and let me tell you, shooting pool is much harder than judo. im not talking just banging balls in a bar, im trying to get really good at this game.

If you took Judo, you know the importance in fundamentals and repetitions. Matching up in pool is like sparring with a partner to condition yourself.

You can buy a book and watch videos to learn Judo, but you'll shorten the learning curve gaining better knowledge and technique through actual instruction with a great instructor. Pool is harder like you said, so you do the math.

I took kung fu with my wife and kids, some of the best times in my life. Today, it takes a pry bar between my ass and seat to get me moving. lol

I'm sure everyone already knows, but just in case, I'm not an instructor. :D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did not learn judo by yourself, especially at a blackbelt level, either from reading books or watching videos! You learned from a Master instructor. I will presume that 2 years of training was not free. Tournaments certainly are not free. Seems silly that you can't get that concept of professional instruction through your head for your pool game...even though several posters (including me) have been suggesting that to you for almost the entire time you've been playing (and complaining here). :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have played for 13 months, every day for at least 2 hours. started with no natural talent at all, so I have put in some work. will keep chipping away. thanks for the advices.

Quote Earl Strickland, and he Knows how to play golf.

"Pool is waaaaaaaaaay more difficult''

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread is a year old.

Many readers scroll through the threads until a certain topic catches their eye. I know I have. There's a lot of missed information and hidden gems that can be found. Unless you read every forum thread every day, threads will inevitably slip by without you ever seeing them.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many readers scroll through the threads until a certain topic catches their eye. I know I have. There's a lot of missed information and hidden gems that can be found. Unless you read every forum thread every day, threads will inevitably slip by without you ever seeing them.

so true..I may/may not bump an oldie, but there is so much good stuff in the archives.