What wood would you use for your next custom cue?

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
This is my favorite combo and next cue coming to me. It doesn't have anything to do with this thread but that is how most of my posts go. :)

BVal

P1012558-1.jpg

I am starting to see that now....That does look nice though

I am thinking some type of Burl though.....I have to tell this cuemaker tomorrow what I am wanting so I can get it in my hands sooner....I am wanting something with LOTS of figure to it...and this cuemaker has some tricked out wood! So it will be a beauty whatever I go with

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am starting to see that now....That does look nice though

I am thinking some type of Burl though.....I have to tell this cuemaker tomorrow what I am wanting so I can get it in my hands sooner....I am wanting something with LOTS of figure to it...and this cuemaker has some tricked out wood! So it will be a beauty whatever I go with

Good luck man. I can't wait to see what you pick.

BVal

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
if your looking for a real dark wood that has interesting grain to it, you might want to look into ziricote.

very good playing characteristics and good tonal qualities.

ziricote.jpg

M.C.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Moose antler is a light brown, right? I'd go with a dark wood...prettiest piece of cocoblo you could find..
(edit) You didn't say if this was going to be wrapped or wrapless. If wrap, what kind? If wrapless,
definitely a light wood for the handle section, or you'll be constantly cleaning the handle...

Last edited:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Moose antler is a light brown, right? I'd go with a dark wood...prettiest piece of cocoblo you could find..
(edit) You didn't say if this was going to be wrapped or wrapless. If wrap, what kind? If wrapless,
definitely a light wood for the handle section, or you'll be constantly cleaning the handle...

It will be a wrapless cue...And the moose Antler I have seen is off white with some grainy look too it...But yes, I am leaning towards a darker highly figured wood

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You probably know this, but lots of the choices would have to be cored. I like Joey's choice of bocote and braz rosewood. I know Sugartree had made a koa and cocobolo wrapless cue that looked great, but then again all his cues seem to look that way ;)

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
You probably know this, but lots of the choices would have to be cored. I like Joey's choice of bocote and braz rosewood. I know Sugartree had made a koa and cocobolo wrapless cue that looked great, but then again all his cues seem to look that way ;)

Honestly, coring would not be an issue, as long as its a good hit "to me" I know it will be a hit and miss type of deal because if you built 2 cues to the exact same specs, they would hit differently. I spoke with Eric Crisp and he has all the cues for the build off and all were supposed to be made to same specs...he said they hit totally different, but look similar.

I would just like some pretty wood that will compliment each other, and have a really nice hitting cue. The Bluegrass I am playing with now, I do not like it at all. But it is a PJ BEM cue and it has a wrap, and I am at this point in my life not liking wrapped cues with Irish Linen. I had an Omen with leather wrap that I liked, but just couldnt get used to that cue.

So yea, i am a picky azz

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about Brazilian Rosewood forearm & butt section w/curly maple handle.
Or Brazilian Rosewood forearm & butt section w/pau ferrauro handle & a white/brown spec linen wrap. Good luck in your search, hope you find that magic formula.
Jeff

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
How about Brazilian Rosewood forearm & butt section w/curly maple handle.
Or Brazilian Rosewood forearm & butt section w/pau ferrauro handle & a white/brown spec linen wrap. Good luck in your search, hope you find that magic formula.
Jeff

Brazilian Rosewood is definately a pretty wood..There will not be a wrap on this cue...I just cant get my hand used to a wrap

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm partial to Purple heart and ebony points with a birdseye/ tiger maple forearm.

I had Mike Webb make a six point cue with that set up 3 Purple/ 3 ebony points. I've had the cue for at least 10 years and I still love the way it looks every time I yake it out of the case

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Actually, I'm planning on having a new cue made in the near future, so I've been thinking about this.

I'm leaning towards snakewood.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Actually, I'm planning on having a new cue made in the near future, so I've been thinking about this.

I'm leaning towards snakewood.

I like snakewood as well.. I may have one made in that wood someday....but for this cue, I am leaning towards a darker wood as the forearm and butt, and a lighter wood for the handle..I think the moose buttcap and joints will look really good on this cue with a darker/lighter wood combo

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bacote, Tulipwood, and Lacewood

ftgokie:

For the dark wood, I'm very partial to bacote:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_210239

I just love the very-pronounced grain inherent in bacote, whether the particular block was cut from straight-grain or has lots of knots (preferably the latter -- adds a lot of character).

For the light wood, I like Tulipwood:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_880303

...or Lacewood:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_588837

Of course, part of the artistry in building an attractive cue (and it is an art!) is tasteful combinations of wood that complement each other. But for sheer eye-catching on its own accord (in other words, a block of wood set on a table on its own), the above stand out and catch my eye.

-Sean

A cuemaker calls you and says, What woods would you like in your cue. And you like a dark wood and a lighter wood. Your wanting playability but looks..something that just JUMPS out at you!......What would the woods be? And this cue will cost between 1500-2000 from this particular cuemaker

This cue will not have points, and will have Moose Antler buttcap and joints.

Given this info, what woods would you select?

Just trying to get a feel for what you guys think is hot looking.....and yes, pics will help if you have some to give me more of a visual image.

Who knows...if I pick YOUR combination of wood.....there might be a FREE TAR shirt in it for you!

Last edited:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
ftgokie:

For the dark wood, I'm very partial to bacote:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_210239

I just love the very-pronounced grain inherent in bacote, whether the particular block was cut from straight-grain or has lots of knots (preferably the latter -- adds a lot of character).

For the light wood, I like Tulipwood:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_880303

...or Lacewood:

yhst-91607680408343_2067_588837

Of course, part of the artistry in building an attractive cue (and it is an art!) is tasteful combinations of wood that complement each other. But for sheer eye-catching on its own accord (in other words, a block of wood set on a table on its own), the above stand out and catch my eye.

-Sean

Thanks Sean

That wood combo would look nice...Thanks for your input

-Shawn

Vinnie

pool is cool.
Silver Member
Here is my regular playing cue...

My_Cue_Aug_2006_01.jpg

My_Cue_Aug_2006_03.jpg

The handle is Highly figured birds eyed maple which really stands out. The rest is purpleheart. I'm not sure if you would like purpleheart, but it does get darker over time. Purpleheart is well known for playing good too.

Here is another cue with a Bocote handle...

My_Cue_2_july_2008_01.jpg

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cuemaker calls you and says, What woods would you like in your cue. And you like a dark wood and a lighter wood. Your wanting playability but looks..something that just JUMPS out at you!......What would the woods be? And this cue will cost between 1500-2000 from this particular cuemaker

This cue will not have points, and will have Moose Antler buttcap and joints.

Given this info, what woods would you select?

Just trying to get a feel for what you guys think is hot looking.....and yes, pics will help if you have some to give me more of a visual image.

Who knows...if I pick YOUR combination of wood.....there might be a FREE TAR shirt in it for you!

i'd go with ebony. just a p/j ebony cue with ringwork at all points