USA MC Captain

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Whoever puts their head in the woodchipper next has my condolences. That is a brutal job with not many paths to success. I liked Mark for the fact he brought a lot of class to the whole thing. Always figured Robles would be the next man up.

Having Johan as coach would send the Euro's into a seizure. So I like it but it won't ever happen. Johan is way too smart to do that to his legacy. Risk vs reward is all out of whack.

I'm hearing different things but just have to wait and see what Matchroom does.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
All that is needed is a playing captain and four (proven they can win) players. To me, a separate captain is silly and way over the top. Johnnyt

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
All that is needed is a playing captain and four (proven they can win) players. To me, a separate captain is silly and way over the top. Johnnyt

The captain is used as much for logistics and general cat herding as anything. He is the liaison and manger between Matchroom and the players. Players should focus on playing. Matchroom can afford the sixth guy.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The captain is used as much for logistics and general cat herding as anything. He is the liaison and manger between Matchroom and the players. Players should focus on playing. Matchroom can afford the sixth guy.

At this point, what difference does it make? Lol

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told by people who have played in Europe, that there are schools, academies, etc for children for pool/snooker like we have for gymnastic and tennis schools, for our kids. We have very talented, great players, good guys who put in 100% effort so it just might be the way Europeans are taught pool/snooker from childhood that is making a difference.
Perhaps someone more familiar with cue sports in Europe can chime in here.

check out http://www.starsnookeracademy.com/
how are you going to beat those guys when that start like this?

Last edited:

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Keith McCready would be a fun choice with a co-captain.. maybe JCIN

Mark obv was a great choice and thanks for all he does!!!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mc

So, people.talk crap AFTER the MC and that becomes the reason they lost in the first place??? Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up
Jason

Are you suggesting there was a difference in tone before the Mosconi Cup? Whether or not it makes a difference to the team's play, I can't believe you'd imply we were somehow supportive of our players.

And yes, I think the player bashing is hurtful. This mantra that the European players are holier than us and we have no chance because we're just second tier, that does not lead to confidence and high level performance.

I'm all about recognizing and shoring up opportunities to improve. But the attitudes on AZB are negative and critical to a destructive fault.

I'm glad our players are smart enough not to take this stuff to heart and play their own game. I believe in them more than I believe in these forum members.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you suggesting there was a difference in tone before the Mosconi Cup? Whether or not it makes a difference to the team's play, I can't believe you'd imply we were somehow supportive of our players.

And yes, I think the player bashing is hurtful. This mantra that the European players are holier than us and we have no chance because we're just second tier, that does not lead to confidence and high level performance.

I'm all about recognizing and shoring up opportunities to improve. But the attitudes on AZB are negative and critical to a destructive fault.

I'm glad our players are smart enough not to take this stuff to heart and play their own game. I believe in them more than I believe in these forum members.

Well for starters, it's true. In a short race format, your technique has to be almost flawless. Neither team's technique is perfect, but the Europeans are much, much, much, much closer than the Americans.

Secondly, I'm almost positive that the vast majority of people making "hurtful" posts aren't from here.

I'm all for Team America, but I'm not going to keep my head in the sand about why they lost. Weak(er) fundamentals, poor decision making, and a negative mindset are the main reasons they lost.

Find a captain that can fix those, and I guarantee you'll see improvement.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team USA aspirants need to work their tails off all year to address their weaknesses. The best coach would be a taskmaster with a huge amount of both technical and tactical knowledge, perhaps a Helfert or an Incardona.

Our players get plenty of practice, but they don't address their areas of weakness. Until that changes, no amount of practice will fill the gaps needed to beat Europe.

Team USA is a broken record in recent years, displaying the same weaknesses year after year. Until this changes, Europe will keep winning.

My top three choices would be Jay Helfert, Billy Incardona and Tony Robles.

How about a brief summary of the weaknesses that you are referring to. Thanks.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd love the opportunity. I have a plan already in place on how I would prepare our players. It would be a year long process to become a team member. The last month would be like a training camp where we would fine tune our team. I will guarantee one thing. We will come prepared for battle!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'd love the opportunity. I have a plan already in place on how I would prepare our players. It would be a year long process to become a team member. The last month would be like a training camp where we would fine tune our team. I will guarantee one thing. We will come prepared for battle!
Sounds like a good plan. It probably wouldn't hurt to get ahold of the exact table they will be playing on to practice on; maybe practice with background noise from past MCs; and maybe even do mock matches where there is no warm-up, like in the MC.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good plan. It probably wouldn't hurt to get ahold of the exact table they will be playing on to practice on; maybe practice with background noise from past MCs; and maybe even do mock matches where there is no warm-up, like in the MC.

All doable, thanks!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bet Europe does all those things.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Think outside the box a bit

Maybe an old school guy, like Dallas West.

I have no idea whether he'd be interested; maybe, maybe not...

But I know one thing.

He'd get respect.

He would teach you the meaning of the word respect.

All the best,
WW

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it matters who the coach is if he is not alone responsible for assembling the players that are to be on the team.

The current system of qualifying to be on the team is highly flawed.

Asking a coach to run a team of players that he has not chosen is guaranteed to fail.

It's like they want you to cook the dinner but will not let you do the grocery shopping.

A coach has to be an authority figure.

One who is respected and who's word is the final say on who is on the team and how that team will operate at all times .. if this is not the case he is really not a coach - he is just a baby sitter.

Just my two cents.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Sounds good but you don't know who is on the team until 30 days before.

Good luck getting players to commit to anything with the chance that when payday comes they get told "Too bad"

As it sits now Matchroom doesnt give the captain enough power to change anything. If they did I doubt it would make much difference. The format is just kryptonite to the modern American player plus the Euro's are legit better at it.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I don't think it matters who the coach is if he is not alone responsible for assembling the players that are to be on the team.

The current system of qualifying to be on the team is highly flawed.

Asking a coach to run a team of players that he has not chosen is guaranteed to fail.

It's like they want you to cook the dinner but will not let you do the grocery shopping.

A coach has to be an authority figure.

One who is respected and who's word is the final say on who is on the team and how that team will operate at all times .. if this is not the case he is really not a coach - he is just a baby sitter.

Just my two cents.

This. Exactly.

The cup has Captains not coaches. Captains job is to organize, pick a line up and make sure the guys know what time the shuttle is leaving the hotel.