Woodward Attitude?

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Relative to pool players and yogi

Yogi's wife asked yogi once how it went that day at Yankee stadium.yogi told her a couple of streakers ran onto the field. his wife asked were they men or women, yogi replied I don't know they had bags over their heads.

On another matter that isn't relative at all to this thread

Another Yankee player Joe pepitone used to enjoy playing pool and the local short stops were very happy to see him come in the pool room.

Last edited:

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I got to play a few casual games with Skylar back in 2013. He was literally asking everyone in the Rio who had a cue on them if they wanted to play a rack. He was a heck of a player, but back then it was at least semi close shooting.

Attitude wise he was big in the world of Junior Nine ball but hadn't hit the professional world just yet. As he got older and watched him in events, I could see him going one of two ways depending on who was around him. He would either turn into a similar player to Mike Dechaine, or he would take the SVB path.

After watching him play with Dechaine and SVB in the MC, he looked a lot more like Shane to me in attitude, ability, and poise.

4 years ago he was very respectful, and has continued to be one of the best things for American pool. My guess is that he probably had an off day, and he is facing a lot of pressure these last two years in particular as the anointed 2nd pillar of America in pool behind Shane, with Justin Bergman right behind him. But I would say the Woodward I've watched over the years doesn't behave like you described too often.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I saw live Skys acting out. The moment, it's importance and one mistake is Huge got em chirpin, tho not real often. His early round loss changed his mood. I later saw em up 3-0 then down 7-4 then win going away. I felt his expectation of staying in the winners bracket Much longer than he did, weighed on em, and I know family did join in the last few days. He definitely was in the top 10 of the field at hand at this years Open, that's pretty good company.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
You are crazy.

The chalk absolutely belongs on the table.

It is not needed at the bar, in the bathroom, parking lot, car or kitchen.

It is for shootin pool. You do that on a pool table.

Nah, I gotta go with Marek on this one. Pro players almost exclusively use their own chalk when they shoot, they don't share it.

There is no reason whatsoever for Corey's chalk to be on the table when Mika is shooting. If Corey wants to leave it on the rail while he is on his turn at the table that is fine but when it becomes Mika's turn at the table Corey should take his chalk with him.

Now Mika's answer of throwing the chalk under the table? Definitely a little strong of a response. If it bugged him (and it is clear it did) he should have picked it up, walked to Corey and handed it to him and told him to take it with him after his turn at the table is over. After that if Corey still leaves it on the table when Mika is at the table anything goes.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky may have just had a bad day, week, or month. You could pin point a few days or moments in anyone's life and make a great case that they are a d bag, no one is perfect all the time. Even if his head has gotten swollen he's in his early twenties and doing well, he's won alot of big events here, has tons of cofidence, and knows how to get the money. He has alot of good people around him that would probably check him if it became a real issue.

The chalk issue is pretty comical IMHO. I always get a good chuckle out of the chalk police. Set it right side up, don't leave it at the table, your powder bothers me and on and on. Sometimes it's genuine and sometimes it's a move, either way it don't bother me, just play.
Corey must have seen Mika throw the chalk under the table but that was his way of letting Mika know it didn't bother him, go get the chalk you cried about/move you were trying to pull make it right and let's play. Corey does not let too much bother him at the table. Reminds me of a match I saw with him and Dennis Hatch at the Carom Room in Beloit. Corey was religiously making the corner ball on the break playing 8ball and Dennis was getting hotter and hotter at Corey. Finally Corey was on the hill and Dennis walked up and told Corey if you make
The corner ball again I'm going to punch you in the f***ING face. Corey just looked at him, walked up and racked the balls, and then made BOTH corner balls.

.....Exactly

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, I gotta go with Marek on this one. Pro players almost exclusively use their own chalk when they shoot, they don't share it.

There is no reason whatsoever for Corey's chalk to be on the table when Mika is shooting. If Corey wants to leave it on the rail while he is on his turn at the table that is fine but when it becomes Mika's turn at the table Corey should take his chalk with him.

Now Mika's answer of throwing the chalk under the table? Definitely a little strong of a response. If it bugged him (and it is clear it did) he should have picked it up, walked to Corey and handed it to him and told him to take it with him after his turn at the table is over. After that if Corey still leaves it on the table when Mika is at the table anything goes.

Yup anything goes like spitting in chalk or whatever right ? Come on man he got upset because he was getting drilled . Come on down to Texas and throw some chalk under the table! Just move the chalk over or HELL , just use it ! Lol.... I love it when they leave that FANCY chalk laying on the table . Just use it !!!!!! Lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In America, it bothers us when we go to the table for our turn and there is no chalk available!;)

You make a good point. The chalk may have messed up his concentration. I do not know though. Seemed like he was very annoyed by it, or he would have just handed it to Corey.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I saw Sky play recently and his attitude both on and off the table rubbed me the wrong way.

I've heard from some other pros that Sky's head has gotten too big over this past 1-2 years and I can see it. Kind of sucks because he's a great player but watching him play and noticing his attitude I lost respect for him.

Also, in case anybody wants to make a "Well, then play him for money" post - I'm not saying I can beat him, he's a great player, I'm talking about his attitude because he seemed cocky and was whining when he was losing.
Late 70's a player came thru B'ham, Al., (At the Cheyenne Social Club). He brought his cue, good chunk of cash, large mouth, bad temper, and just a so-so game. I think he had a tall pedestal somewhere to climb on but I didn't see it. 24/7 Go Go joint so action at any time possible. About his second day his mouth did him in. Nothing serious, just a old time schoolyard whipping. Couple days later came & seemed to have much better disposition as well as manners, swoll up lip and all. I guess he'd been playin 12 or so hours & down pretty good, maybe cause of crown shots & beer back. Missed a shot, temper flew, mouthin on the wrong one. I saw the quickest, most one sided, proficient display of boxing skills in or out of the ring. The carnage went on for about 90 seconds. He recovered nicely and I saw him about 6 months later and said that was the best thing that ever happened to him. I won't mention any names and I'm not the guy that was fighting him. From what I hear about him now & then, he turned out to be a great man ~ pool player, business owner, husband, father, grandfather,,,,,,and he's happy! The Lord work in mysterious ways !!! lol

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Why would you be surprised? Everyone makes mistakes.
Skyler it is but I think he likes Sky better.

JoeyA

Sorry to mention this, but as far as I know, his 1st name is not spelled Skylar. The correct spelling of his name is Skyler. I am really surprised that you are misspelling his name.

Why would you be surprised? Everyone makes mistakes.
Skyler it is but I think he likes Sky better.

JoeyA

I am sorry. I see that another person above misspelled his name. I have seen it a lot on here (seems like about half the people on here are spelling his name Skylar). I am just surprised that his fans (or anyone who is really into the Pro pool scene) would misspell his 1st name.

I am not one to judge though, because I can't spell anything right. I am constantly spell checking a lot of words that I write, lol.

I do not know why I get so annoyed when I see his name spelled Skylar though. It just annoys me, lol.

I am sure that just about everyone finds me annoying though. I guess it just comes naturally to me.

Sky is awesome. I hope he wins one of the majors soon, like the China Open, or one of the other majors.

I wish he posted on here sometimes.

Last edited:

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I've ever shot pool the chalk remains on the table. I don't understand why it is offensive to leave chalk on the table.

Your chalk shouldn't be on the table when your opponent is shooting.

Ever seen a curling player having his broom on the ice when it's opponent's turn ?

In league, when a player leave his chalk on the table, I tell him nicely not to do it. If he leaves it again, I smash the chalk to the moon with my cue.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mr Woodward is going to have to get used to the fact that he is a star in the pool world.
...so when he has a bad day..it will be talked about...even though this behaviour is atypical.

We all have bad days...everyone has to howl at the moon sometimes.

C1402581-6EE9-4B3C-A8BD-1EBCDEBB9FEC.jpeg

65F17A7E-FBD1-477A-86BB-B5FC971AC654.jpeg

The second item came from Melinda Huang’s blog...
...Melinda just became a champion.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your chalk shouldn't be on the table when your opponent is shooting.

Ever seen a curling player having is broom on the ice when it's opponent's turn ?

In league, when a player leave his chalk on the table, I tell him nicely not to do it. If he leaves it again, I smash the chalk to the moon with my cue.

And here I thought that the Swiss were a kind, mellow people....... :thumbup: