14.1 high runs... be honest

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Matlock posts here? Cool!

Don't know who you are referring yo. I'm no champion Within 2 hours drive there's 2 or 3 better than me. It is the person who pushes theirself who can do the most on a given day. So it would not surprise me if better player's personal bests don't exceed mine. I have a table home and was playing 25 hours a week for a couple years...half of that was working on my weaknesses, until they were strengths.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 98 in April. I was glad to see that I could still run my age, even if only barely.:wink:

The real trick would be to live as long as my high run # (87, while playing for $100 on a GC at RedShoes in late-90s, just before my elbow gave out). Goal now is to learn faster than skills can deteriorate (>100 balls before I die?).

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very much so. I would like to know as well. wow. Most of us that have either broke 100 or so have only done it once with a few 40's to 60's here and there. But, to break big numbers multiple times is at the very least pro level.

Also, the 12 BnR's of bar box 8 ball is without a doubt top tier status.

:eek::bow-down:

Jeff

Ha
The 12 pack I was gambling on a Valley barbox with Simonis. Race to 4 for $50. Guy wins set 1 4 to 2. Next 3 coin tosses he loses break and I ran all 3 sets out. He quit and I was like, " you only lost the coin tosses!".

There's no tough shots and the balls broke wide open. This wasn't some dirty tavern table with a $20 ball set.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something about the way he stated it, I think we are missing information of a "spin" nature. Ive driven a golf ball over a 1,000 yards.

Down the Freeway.

Believe what you want...I'm not even bragging cause no matter how good you play there's always someone better unless you are Josh Fuller. I have never once thought of my game as pro level...but I met a couple hundred who said they could have.

When I gamble at SBE , DCC or wherever, I know there's a whole 2 or 3 tiers of guys I'm not calling out and that's before you get to what is pro level.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also ran 3 racks of bumper pool!

Here's 2 guys who had never played before until they got on our table. After 2 hours SVB could hardly miss!

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 367

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell yeah Blues. I wish you no bad rolls. I’ve got the 50 goal as well

Thanks Jeff! Good luck in your pursuit. I’ll be 53 in a few weeks. If I want to see a 100 in the foreseeable future I better get real serious about straight pool. 50 seems like an achievable number and at the same time a real accomplishment. Time to get back into the straight pool league.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a lot of trouble runnng all 15 balls

in the last year i have run in the 20s a few times

I recently got 5 inch pockets and ran a couple of 23,25 s

this game is very tough on me,the more i play the worse i seem to get

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very much so, pool is an extremely small community.

As for people we know being hard on us if we was dishonest or should I say (most people) miss remember.... lol......heck, I by accident typed 165 as my lifetime high run a while back and within an hour I was called by a friend on here and he asked if I knew I had typed 165 instead of 156 because he knows what my numbers are.

To serious 14.1 players, it is obvious that something "may" be amiss when another "serious" 14.1 player says he/she cant remember their high run. Sure, there are some that have played so much for so many years they may be a tad off but "most" serious 14.1 players will never forget the number, the table, what cue they used, the room, if there was a bet and even who watched (in general).

Some things just stay with you and most serious 14.1 players respect the game and other straight players to much to be dishonest about something that "seems" so trivial but, in reality is very important if you are indeed a serious 14.1 player.

Like most, I try to the best of my knowledge to always tell the truth even if it is not in my favor to do so.

I'm sure most, if not all are the same way.

Jeff

Yup.
Practice
My 101 was at Park Billiards in Neptune N.J.
About 1964
Anniversary table with the old slow cloth
Clay balls
And i used a house cue
Billy G. counted and the owner Uncle Mike was watching.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe what you want...I'm not even bragging cause no matter how good you play there's always someone better unless you are Josh Fuller. I have never once thought of my game as pro level...but I met a couple hundred who said they could have.

When I gamble at SBE , DCC or wherever, I know there's a whole 2 or 3 tiers of guys I'm not calling out and that's before you get to what is pro level.

Interesting. 720 Fargo is pro level. Is 50 points a tier? Lets say for argument sake it is. 3 "tiers" below pro would be 570-620, 2 would be 621-669. 1 would be 670-719. Where would you put yourself (if you would like to correct my parsing of what "tier" means to you that's cool.)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha
The 12 pack I was gambling on a Valley barbox with Simonis. Race to 4 for $50. Guy wins set 1 4 to 2. Next 3 coin tosses he loses break and I ran all 3 sets out. He quit and I was like, " you only lost the coin tosses!".

There's no tough shots and the balls broke wide open. This wasn't some dirty tavern table with a $20 ball set.

Good equipment is better but, you still had to do the work.

That's a good number of racks to run but, the fact you were in action makes it very impressive.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup.
Practice
My 101 was at Park Billiards in Neptune N.J.
About 1964
Anniversary table with the old slow cloth
Clay balls
And i used a house cue
Billy G. counted and the owner Uncle Mike was watching.

I would be willing to bet that most people that have ran anywhere near 100 can remember just as you described..... or close.

I know I'll never forget.

Good memories,

Jeff

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. 720 Fargo is pro level. Is 50 points a tier? Lets say for argument sake it is. 3 "tiers" below pro would be 570-620, 2 would be 621-669. 1 would be 670-719. Where would you put yourself (if you would like to correct my parsing of what "tier" means to you that's cool.)

I don't have s rating cause I don't play any big events and everything local isn't recorded. If I was rated, I'd be 650 to 670 based on guys who are that I know. I see guys rated to 700 that I've played and beaten.

I still think there's 3 levels above that to a low level pro. I mean what can say Rodney Morris who doesn't play like he used to give a 670? I'd say 10 games to 7 in 9 ball.

How many hundreds of people in the US play above Fargo 670? There's gotta be just as many who are unrated.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SBC’s numbers are good. But they don’t make him a pro, as he himself has stated. We used to have these “high run/rack” threads every few years on here. A member would say they ran 200 or 7 racks, and other members would call them liars.

One guy local to me his numbers were something like 8 racks of 9 ball on a GC, and 160 something straight pool on a GC. Yet, another local, that is very well known on a national level named Eddie Abraham, would have been a HUGE betting favorite if they were to match up. Eddie was the top guy in Philly for about 20 years. His Fargo is only about 720 today (I think it would have been about 730 15 years ago...).

Now, to take it a step further, Eddie would play all the out of towners who travelled to Philly every year for the expo. I saw tony Roberto beat him for about 5k playing an 8 ahead 9 ball set. Then another player beat him in bank pool for 3k. Then the Dominican players beat him in last pocket 8 ball for 2 or 3k.

Eddie was our “hero” in Philly. And crews from other states beat the shit out of him. And THEY weren’t even pros!

I’ll give you another example. Eddie and josh brothers would dominate every regional stop in the late 90’s early 2000s when it was called the Tim Scruggs tour. (And later renaned). But during that same period, we would have a Joss stop twice per year. This brought many players from a broader area than the Scruggs stop. Most notably Mike Davis. Mike would crush those stops. Eddie and Josh I don’t believe ever won one of those joss events.

And mike is probably considered a lower level “pro”.

So SBC is absolutely correct. There are several tiers of strong local an regional level players who have all run an 8 or 9 pack or 150+ that would need a lot of weight from even a low level pro.

IMO:)

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My high runs are as follows:

46 on 9' Diamond 4 1/2 inch pockets about about 5 other runs in the 40's.
8' not sure, I grew up with one and had some in the 40's.
7' diamond bar box high is 100 on the nose and 2 runs of 62.
Fargo 630

I really haven't played much on a 9' in a couple years and only really have about 5 years consistent experience playing on them in total, but did play in a straight pool league for a few years and that's mostly where I got all my higher runs above. I would like to think I could run 50 plus on a gold crown with newer cloth on occasion, but at this point who knows if I'll ever put in some time on that kind of equipment. I'm looking at possibly upgrading the house in the near future and if I can get room for a 9', I would sure love that. We'll see. Nice thread and I'm envious of that people that can run over 100 on a 9' Diamond or Gold Crown. That's a hell of a long time to focus!

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be willing to bet that most people that have ran anywhere near 100 can remember just as you described..... or close.

I know I'll never forget.

Good memories,

Jeff

I agree. My 27 is no big deal and not all that memorable especially as dozen ball runs started happening with some regularity with the occasional 20ish run. Damn sure I run even 50 and progress even higher I’m going to remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30 years ago............156 on an over sized 8

2017........86 on a diamond pro-am

Health issues have kept me from staying at the table for long periods of time so, I've been forced to play mostly quick games/short sets of whatever........

currently...........downhill slide.

Jeff
Wow that's a big number I'm impressed, still like to know your name to see if I know you or someone I know knows you , like Tommy Kay you can pm me if you don't want to say here

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a lot of trouble runnng all 15 balls

in the last year i have run in the 20s a few times

I recently got 5 inch pockets and ran a couple of 23,25 s

this game is very tough on me,the more i play the worse i seem to get
Yeah, no question that of all the various pool games one can play, Murphy's Law applies far more to 14.1 than to any other pool game. You can be on a multiple rack run and execute an absolutely perfect breakout shot, and somehow manage to get an object kiss right up against the cue ball and you have virtually no shot. Particularly for those of us 2-3 rack runners that are attempting to break our high run, stuff like this happens more than you would think it possibly could!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tai chi is practised by a lot of martial artists who specialize in other disciplines.

I feel that 14.1 should be the tai chi of pool players.....
..it will even make a snooker player better.

I see a lot of players practise by racking up 9 balls and running out....
...I don’t feel they get enough value out of that.....they tend to remember all the balls made..
...straight pool doesn’t lie....you might make a lot of balls, but the length of the run tells
you exactly where you’re at.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SBC’s numbers are good. But they don’t make him a pro, as he himself has stated. We used to have these “high run/rack” threads every few years on here. A member would say they ran 200 or 7 racks, and other members would call them liars.

One guy local to me his numbers were something like 8 racks of 9 ball on a GC, and 160 something straight pool on a GC. Yet, another local, that is very well known on a national level named Eddie Abraham, would have been a HUGE betting favorite if they were to match up. Eddie was the top guy in Philly for about 20 years. His Fargo is only about 720 today (I think it would have been about 730 15 years ago...).

Now, to take it a step further, Eddie would play all the out of towners who travelled to Philly every year for the expo. I saw tony Roberto beat him for about 5k playing an 8 ahead 9 ball set. Then another player beat him in bank pool for 3k. Then the Dominican players beat him in last pocket 8 ball for 2 or 3k.

Eddie was our “hero” in Philly. And crews from other states beat the shit out of him. And THEY weren’t even pros!

I’ll give you another example. Eddie and josh brothers would dominate every regional stop in the late 90’s early 2000s when it was called the Tim Scruggs tour. (And later renaned). But during that same period, we would have a Joss stop twice per year. This brought many players from a broader area than the Scruggs stop. Most notably Mike Davis. Mike would crush those stops. Eddie and Josh I don’t believe ever won one of those joss events.

And mike is probably considered a lower level “pro”.

So SBC is absolutely correct. There are several tiers of strong local an regional level players who have all run an 8 or 9 pack or 150+ that would need a lot of weight from even a low level pro.

IMO:)

Spoken like somebody who has "been there".

I seen Eddie in several matches at SBE. Just a beast of a man, great intensity.

You say it better than I...there's a lot of levels. Fargo does ok capturing one's AVERAGE GAME. It specifically does not catch the range. Meaning on my best day I can shoot plenty good enough to keep anyone in their chair. Which is the beauty of pool...you can't stop a guy from the chair.

At Turning Stone you see players like Joe Dupuis beat Strickland or Dave Grau beat Archer over a decade back. I think pool is missing the best idea...promoting top shortstops from playing the higher teirs. Promote the development of more top talent. The hard part is how. We could handicap...we do have Fargo right.

I run a tourney the day prior to Turning Stone and pros spot amateurs 8 games to 7 in 9 ball. We have had several upsets. Keeps it interesting. Course the cream rises to the top. In any tournament, only 3 guys are really supposed to win. That's just how talent is distributed. Like they say if you are good enough, there is always room at the top.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, no question that of all the various pool games one can play, Murphy's Law applies far more to 14.1 than to any other pool game. You can be on a multiple rack run and execute an absolutely perfect breakout shot, and somehow manage to get an object kiss right up against the cue ball and you have virtually no shot. Particularly for those of us 2-3 rack runners that are attempting to break our high run, stuff like this happens more than you would think it possibly could!

yup.
Was playing a guy 75 points even.
He broke and I ran 60 or so.
Final rack I have a break ball on the short rail and have to send the cue ball into the back of the rack.
Normally you try to hit the last 2 balls but I mishit it and wound up frozen to the 8 ball with no shot at all.
I won the game but really wanted the 75 and out.