My first cues!

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Introducing Synergy cues.....

As a lot of you know I have been involved with billiards and cues for a long time. I'm a player and I have owned many, many cues. Over the past 7 years or so I have had a very unique opportunity to spend time with someone who in my opinion is one of the best cue makers in the world. He creates designs that are unique and special and I have owned a great many of them.

During my time with him I learned a lot about cue making along the way. But let me be clear, this wasn't destined to be the final result. I was happy just spending time with him as I consider him a great friend. There are things he has done for me that I can never repay but I think he does it for the warm feeling he gets inside from helping people.

My first few times in the shop were far from glamorous. It involved cleaning machines, sharpening pencils, replacing exacto knife blades, and taking out the trash. After several visits it changed a little (although I was still the still the worker bee ;-)) He started giving me more and more complex things to do. I've always had an aptitude for anything mechanical and I think I caught on pretty quickly. Fast forward a few years and I'm spending more time in the shop. I'm going in whenever I have free time. I ordered a lot of cues from him in those years and thankfully I had the opportunity to see most of the process as they were being built. I even was involved with a few of them.

Anyway, a friend has a cue repair business and has been doing it for over 20 years. He has asked me several times to get together with him and build some cues. Over the years I've helped him a few times do some stuff around the shop but then a few months ago I decided to get invloved a little more.

What you see here is a combined effort between myself and my friend Mike. It's his shop/equipment and I don't plan on making cues for a living but I will build a few here and there. We took a few to the SBE this past weekend to show around and the results were overwhelmingly positive. I'm a fanatic when it comes to finish and I can't tell you how many cues I've wet sanded and polished over the years because it's too many to count. I'm also a bit OCD so you'll notice the points are all nice and even. Getting this correct it a PITA but I think it shows in the results.

I know they are all just conversions but let me know what you guys think. These are the first three with about 6 more at the shop that are just about finished along with some "A" joint cues on the way as well.

The Bacote and Purpleheart are Schmelke blanks and the other is a converted Valley house cue.

Last edited:

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Nice starter cues! Bet you missed having the magic "green button" when it came time to do the joint work. Look forward to seeing what you do next.

Larry

DamienLuu

Forever Pool Student
Silver Member
I like your signature symbol. It has a "superhero" look lol

Gửi từ IM-A870L của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice starter cues! Bet you missed having the magic "green button" when it came time to do the joint work. Look forward to seeing what you do next.

Larry

TOO funny Larry . . . great inside joke . . . love it . . .

pfd

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind words guys! :thumbup:

Larry

I actually don't miss the magic green button. While the slide lathe is much faster and makes it very easy to install the pin, joint, and rings, I kinda like the personal feel of cutting the tenon and making everything fit just right. :D

If I were to make this a career I may have a different outlook on it but for now it's all by hand for me.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I enjoyed seeing these cues Mash. As I noted at SBE, your finish work is very impressive. Best of luck converting passion into functional art.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like very nice work. It also appears that you are well on your way to being hooked on building cues. I look forward to seeing more.

Do you have ideas for your personal shaft taper or have you developed anything yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk