One Pocket break secrets

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted the method for making a ball on a one pocket break years ago, here and on one pocket.org. It was in Wei table format so my diagrams which were detailed are gone. There is a spot near the side pocket where you can place the cueball and make the corner ball almost every time. It worked reliably on Diamond tables. I have run out from the break many times using it.

Side pocket? Are you talking about kick breaking?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted the method for making a ball on a one pocket break years ago, here and on one pocket.org. It was in Wei table format so my diagrams which were detailed are gone. There is a spot near the side pocket where you can place the cueball and make the corner ball almost every time. It worked reliably on Diamond tables. I have run out from the break many times using it.

If the guys you are playing are letting you break from anywhere near the side pocket you have one hell of a fishing spot.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play much one pocket but I watch. Saw the break you described this past Monday. First time I ever saw it. I was impressed.

First time I saw it was when Varner was in St. Louis some 20 years ago giving the locals some humongous spots, like 15-5. First time someone played it on me was Piggy Banks up in Chicago. It can be surprising but it moves so few balls it is not hard to get out of.

Lou Figueroa

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal experience is that -- if the rack is legit-- there is no predictable way to go for the ball on the break. I believe that what happens, sometimes, is that the balls fall into a certain set of divots in the cloth and good, sometimes bad, things happen more often than they normally would.

I have also learned, over time, that some guys, without malice or forethought, rack the balls in a way that increases the odds of a ball coming out. When I see a guy racking that way, I will not let them rack for me. But that's another story.

Lou Figueroa
gonna write
a book someday

Danny DiLiberto had a prop where he would give you a big spot and he got the break with the stipulation he could break from anywhere on the table. He would set the cue ball from about a foot from the rack and make the corner ball like 8 out of 10 times usually running out. Hay, it is Danny DiLiberto.

The point is, if you could hit the break with the kind of accuracy from the end of the table you can from a few inches away you can make the corner ball a high percent of the time.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny DiLiberto had a prop where he would give you a big spot and he got the break with the stipulation he could break from anywhere on the table. He would set the cue ball from about a foot from the rack and make the corner ball like 8 out of 10 times usually running out. Hay, it is Danny DiLiberto.

The point is, if you could hit the break with the kind of accuracy from the end of the table you can from a few inches away you can make the corner ball a high percent of the time.

Guys can be accurate from the string to the spot -- what is that? 4'.

I think the issue is that breaking a foot from the rack gives you way more angles to go into the balls (that won't sell out) than from the string.

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

without knowing the angle into the rack from a foot away
i am not sure you can jump to your conclusion

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
rick
thats the best way to break in 1p.(normal/standard break)
as mattb said
hitting the 2nd ball fat is the way to increase your odds of making a ball

Thanks Larry,

I've watched Richie Richardson & some that have beaten him & they don't break for that simultaneous hit. They hit the apex ball more full & maybe carom into the 2nd. ball.

Going for the simultaneous hit is risky if the apex ball is missed.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you mean by "fat".

You can not get IN to it any more than the simultaneous hit.

Are you saying to not hit the apex ball at all & to only hit the 2nd ball with more cut into the rack?

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
If the guys you are playing are letting you break from anywhere near the side pocket you have one hell of a fishing spot.

Lou Figueroa

That was just a test spot I found back then. It gives you a better angle to hit the sweet spot to build confidence in the shot. Making it from behind the head string is much more difficult.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member

Yes, he is breaking from the spot I was talking about. Somebody brought this up when I first posted about it about ten years ago. I redid the diagrams a few years ago as best as I could remember. It is on here somewhere.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Larry,

I've watched Richie Richardson & some that have beaten him & they don't break for that simultaneous hit. They hit the apex ball more full & maybe carom into the 2nd. ball.

Going for the simultaneous hit is risky if the apex ball is missed.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you mean by "fat".

You can not get IN to it any more than the simultaneous hit.

Are you saying to not hit the apex ball at all & to only hit the 2nd ball with more cut into the rack?

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

rick
there was senior (65 and older) one pocket tournament this past weekend in houston
fantastic one pocket
ultimately won by billy incardona with jerry matchin aka baby huey coming in second
jerry made a ball on the break 3 out of 4 times against an opponent in the early rounds
although he didnt make one against billy
when he broke he hit the 2nd ball full not hitting the apex ball at all
thats what i mean by hitting the 2nd ball fat
check your pm

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
rick
there was senior (65 and older) one pocket tournament this past weekend in houston
fantastic one pocket
ultimately won by billy incardona with jerry matchin aka baby huey coming in second
jerry made a ball on the break 3 out of 4 times against an opponent in the early rounds
check your pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've tried that briefly, but it did not work out well as I paid when a ball did not drop.

Best 2 Ya.

PS Nothing in my message box.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was just a test spot I found back then. It gives you a better angle to hit the sweet spot to build confidence in the shot. Making it from behind the head string is much more difficult.

I'm sorry. I feel you are sincere. BUT if there was a way to make a ball on the break, guys like CD, SVB, AP, SF, and God only knows who else, would be shooting it and we would all be copying it.

Sure, sometimes the ball goes on the break several times over, but as I mentioned, that's just the balls falling into divots in the cloth. Shee-at happens. If someone is making the ball on the break on you: rub the rack area with your hands before racking and all that comes to an end.

With a neutral racker you are not making the ball on the break with any consistency.

Lou Figueroa
word

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rick
fantastic one pocket
check your pm

Three out of four: he shee-at out. If it was done with purpose he would have done it in subsequent matches too.

Lou Figueroa
it happens

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three out of four: he shee-at out. If it was done with purpose he would have done it in subsequent matches too.

Lou Figueroa
it happens

you can ask jerry directly on onepocket.org
i would be curious to his responce

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can ask jerry directly on onepocket.org
i would be curious to his responce

You cannot reliably make a ball on the break. If you're that curious you can ask him yourself. I am not.

Lou Figueroa

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There can be some subtle things done on the break. Ferinstance, some guys racking their own will be sure to use higher number balls in front because those don't get used as much (vs 9ball/10ball) and have fewer miles on them, the theory being they will provide a more consistent break. Others will be sure to place contrasting colors up front for a better target.

Lou Figueroa

I do the same thing. To me, it's also easier to see the edges when you rack the stripes in front. Especially if you ensure that the contrasts on the head ball and the second ball are immediately recognizable from your breaking position.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing. To me, it's also easier to see the edges when you rack the stripes in front. Especially if you ensure that the contrasts on the head ball and the second ball are immediately recognizable from your breaking position.

There was this one guy I used to play often and I'd rack him with the 8-6 in the front whenever he was coming back from the bathroom to see if he noticed - don't think he ever did. It was like a I side joke with the rail to see if he would notice. He would break horrible lol, although honestly it was 50/50 if he would smash the rack like 8 ball when returning.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
usually to increase your chances of making a ball on the onepocket break you have to hit the second ball fat and not clip the head ball
if you dont make a ball you dont get the desired spread when you clip the head ball
its a low percentage shot
and not one to kill yourself trying to perfect
jmho
icbw

I break from the right side with a tip of inside English. Speed is soft enough for the cue to begin curving before it hits the 2nd ball flat. Ironically, my best breaks are when I aim to split the 1st and 2nd balls.

BBB may be right that chipping the head ball is bad, but I always aimed to split or to catch the top ball by a hair first.

The guy to ask would be pro and instructor Joe Tucker. He is a student of the break shot and will likely have good insight.