Neoprene rubber to cushion hit

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A question for those far more knowledgeable than me. Has anyone tried a small piece of neoprene rubber between the ferrule and tip? CA glue should hold them both. I have several “soft” (I use this term VERY loosely) tips that I know will harden in a few weeks. Just wondering if the rubber will help soften the hit. Thanks.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to have manufactured what i called The Action Pad. It did what you are wanting and increased the cue ball action. I can't reveal the material, but I can tell you neoprene is almost certainly too soft. Too soft kills your ability to power draw the cue ball.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tandy leather as well as other leather stores sell a product that leather workers use to do some their leather work on called a pondo board I might be off on the spelling but that is close. t is a very hard like rubber material, I have some that I used when I was doing leather work, and was thinking about testing it myself.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have manufactured what i called The Action Pad. It did what you are wanting and increased the cue ball action. I can't reveal the material, but I can tell you neoprene is almost certainly too soft. Too soft kills your ability to power draw the cue ball.

Thanks Chris, I’ve checked with a rubber mfg who can supply rubber with a durometer rating of 60, just a little softer than the tip. They said CA will work on both sides. I’ll give this a try to see if it can work. Thanks again for the help.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Chris, I’ve checked with a rubber mfg who can supply rubber with a durometer rating of 60, just a little softer than the tip. They said CA will work on both sides. I’ll give this a try to see if it can work. Thanks again for the help.

I predict it will grab and spin the cue ball really good but wont draw the ball right.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious as to why do you predict this?

I already invented this in the 90s. So I have already tried things in that hardness range and that was the results. I could probably make them again in a black color, but the guy who was making them for me in the blue color went out of business..

Last edited:

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already invented this in the 90s. So I have already tried things in that hardness range and that was the results. I could probably make them again in a black color, but the guy who wass making them for me in blue went out of business..

Chris, I should have known you had already tried this. I have a sheet of commercial grade, durometer 70 (supposed to be hard) rubber on the way. I’ll compare it to the commercial grade 60 with Triangle tips first. Don’t want to lose too much money on layered tips if this doesn’t meet my expectations. I don’t use a lot of bottom english; but if I can’t draw the ball much at all, I’ll throw in the towel!! Thanks again for your insight and help. I can always use the leftover rubber for dampening vibrations on other shop equipment.