snooker table - will it wreck my game?

cjlos

Registered
Hi,

New poster here. I am considering replacing my pool table which is a 5x10 with a 5x10 snooker table. Will the pockets and ball size of the snooker table mess me up too much. I am in particular worried about rail shots, shots requiring force follow and the prospect of no longer being able to cheat the pocket or sneak a ball past. Does anyone have any experience with this? The games I play are conducive to this type of table (straight, 1P, bottle pool, 8b, cribbage) and as my table already has 4.5 inch pockets I am pretty confortable with tight pockets - but really how tight is a typical american snooker table pocket? Will it wreck me? I play league on bar boxes and the 5x10 that I have doesn't seem to mess me up. Thanks for any light you can shed!

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
cjlos said:
Hi,

New poster here. I am considering replacing my pool table which is a 5x10 with a 5x10 snooker table. Will the pockets and ball size of the snooker table mess me up too much. I am in particular worried about rail shots, shots requiring force follow and the prospect of no longer being able to cheat the pocket or sneak a ball past. Does anyone have any experience with this? The games I play are conducive to this type of table (straight, 1P, bottle pool, 8b, cribbage) and as my table already has 4.5 inch pockets I am pretty confortable with tight pockets - but really how tight is a typical american snooker table pocket? Will it wreck me? I play league on bar boxes and the 5x10 that I have doesn't seem to mess me up. Thanks for any light you can shed!

Playing snooker has actually made me a better pool player. There's little room for error in snooker and it allows me to focus on accuracy of each shot.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your shotmaking will improve, but i think if you solely use a snooker table, your overal POOL game will suffer.

you're not going to force follow 3 rails for shape on a snooker table. you've got to be able to pull of those shots to play pool.

VAP

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cjlos said:
Hi,

You already have a tight 5x10 table? Why go to an even tighter table if you are a league player? I grew up playing on a 5x10 snooker table and now play on 9ft pool tables. Whenever I feel my mechanics getting sloppy I go and tune up on that snooker table. It never fails to pay off for me.

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep your tight pool table and practice on a snooker table occasionally or when your shot-making needs tuned up. Unless you are going to be playing a lot of snooker, why not practice on the type of table you will play your games on?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cjlos said:
Hi, New poster here. I am considering replacing my pool table which is a 5x10 with a 5x10 snooker table. Will the pockets and ball size of the snooker table mess me up too much. I am in particular worried about rail shots, shots requiring force follow and the prospect of no longer being able to cheat the pocket or sneak a ball past.

If you are going to start playing Snooker, please do get a Snooker table. If you are going to compete on big Pool Tables, 9 & 10 foot, keep what you have. If you are going to compete on Bar Boxes, get yourself a Bar Box.

The generally, not always, accepted method of success, is to practice on the same field as you play on. The type of cue stick, shaft & tip can make a difference too.

I have been playing for 48 years. Good Luck...

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
cjlos said:
Hi,

I would keep the pool table. Most Snooker tables I have played on have pretty tight pockets, so they are great for working on your accuracy, but they really limit the types of shots you can take. The shots you mentioned do become more difficult on a Snooker table. I think a 5x10 pool table would give you the best of both worlds. By the way, how old is that table? Don't see too many of those around anymore.

cjlos

Registered
JLW said:
I would keep the pool table. Most Snooker tables I have played on have pretty tight pockets, so they are great for working on your accuracy, but they really limit the types of shots you can take. The shots you mentioned do become more difficult on a Snooker table. I think a 5x10 pool table would give you the best of both worlds. By the way, how old is that table? Don't see too many of those around anymore.

We don't know how old the table is. Probably 1930-1945 based on the T-rails. If you were interested in a pic. I listed it on Ebay - search for 5x10 pool table (not snooker). I am interested in replacing it with an older Gold Crown. And I found one (friend of my brother in law saw it) for a good price. A Gold Crown I snooker table restored with an extra set of Carom rails. Not what I started out looking for but something I am Jonesing for at this point. Of course, I won't be disappointed if my table doesn't sell. If it doesn't sell I expect some lowballers to come calling - which I won't reply to by the way. I just am at that point in my life that I would like to shake it up a little :D

Best regards

Chris in Denver

cjlos

Registered
Well - my table did not sell on Ebay. So I guess the question is irrelevant and I am staying put with the pool table for the foreseeable future. There just is no market to speak of for 10 foot tables pool or snooker. If the table sold I decided that I would go with the snooker regardless of the effect as I play plenty of pool away from my basement. On a lighter note when I called the seller of the snooker table to let him know, I found out he was on a team that my team played in Reno at the ACS tourney in April (I wasn't able to make it). It's a small world! Our team finished 4th and his team finished 5th!

Thanks to every one who gave input and have a great 4th everyone! :D

Chris in Denver

pete lafond

pete.l@slipstic.com
Silver Member
vapoolplayer said:
your shotmaking will improve, but i think if you solely use a snooker table, your overal POOL game will suffer.

you're not going to force follow 3 rails for shape on a snooker table. you've got to be able to pull of those shots to play pool.

VAP

Some very good advice here. Very well said. Same thing with over-shimming pockets, you can reach a point were you lose the advantage a good stroke has to offer. If you can not play traditional 9 ball shots, then how could a snooker table or super tight pockets be of any advantage to you. (assuming you play nine ball or 8 ball) You will never see a super tight (triple shimmed) pocket in competition 9 ball or 8 ball. Even if you are not used to playing tight pockets and you come across a tournament that had them, your mind will be able to compensate.

S

sonia

cjlos said:
Hi,

NO, IT WILL NOT.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
The biggest problem between the two games is the difference in ball size. Going from 2 1/4 to 2 1/8 balls is a huge difference and changes the feel of the shots. Going back and forth takes adjustement every time.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
If you do...

go to a snooker table, play golf on it with friends. It will help your kicking
game a lot and banking too. We have a place here in Wichita, Club Billiards, where Golf on a snooker table is the main game played, and many guys go
down there for some 1.00-10.00 action ($1 a hickey, $10 a game). Get 5 or 6 guys playing, and you can win a little. Sometimes on a Friday night, they play
higher stakes.

Damn, I am still mad when I was playing down there with 6 guys in the game,
and I was on the 6 hole, and cut my ball 90 degrees, and ends up on the
inside lip, about 1/2 in, and it's coming around to me again, but the guy
that shot right before me shoots a 4 railer and his ball kissed off of mine
almost in the hole to win the game. That game paid out over $350.

T

Timberly

Celtic said:
The biggest problem between the two games is the difference in ball size. Going from 2 1/4 to 2 1/8 balls is a huge difference and changes the feel of the shots. Going back and forth takes adjustement every time.
Yrs ago there was a pool room I went to every once in awhile in TX that had a snooker table. I would take a regular rack of balls and practice with them on the snooker table. I certainly didn't notice it hurting my game at all. I used it more to help me slow down & focus, esp if I had gotten into a rut where I was shooting too hard on the 9 footer.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Yes, I did

vapoolplayer said:
you're not cutting it 90 degrees.

VAP

Yes I did, I was there, you weren't. If it had had any more speed, it
would have fell in. The ball was past the side pocket to start with,
a little. Even 4 of my opponents were amazed that I could even
cut it that thin. The Q was on the rail between the 1 and 2 hole.
I used inside english, not outside, and curved it slighty.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
Yes I did, I was there, you weren't. If it had had any more speed, it
would have fell in. The ball was past the side pocket to start with,
a little. Even 4 of my opponents were amazed that I could even
cut it that thin. The Q was on the rail between the 1 and 2 hole.
I used inside english, not outside, and curved it slighty.

grab a protractor.....

VAP

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
I was there, you weren't. .

I don't have to be there............you're already a proven BULLSHITTER.......

check out the statement you made from another thread..........you're an out and out BULLSHITTER.......

i don't have to be anywhere to throw the bullshit flag on your posts.

VAP

Snapshot9 said:
WW .... me. I wear hard contacts and my vision is only 20/40, worse with
glasses. I have -10/670 vision in both eyes with astigmytism at the back
and front of both eyes with scarred corneas.

My glasses growing up were coke bottle ends, and I got contact lenses
on my 18th birthday, but had to wear glasses for 3 years after my
corneas got scarred from a pair of hard contacts that warped because
they were older than 4 years.

700 is legally blind in Kansas....

And there are some old timer pros that didn't have especially good eyesight.

i'd like to know what eye doctor you see asshole.......... :rolleyes:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whitewolf said:
Maybe he cleaned his hard contacts with that squirtgun in his avatar and this cause them to warp. I wasn't going to argue with him, but maybe it is time for me to point out that I don't believe there were any young/old timers who had bad vision. Give me a break. Back then they didn't even have contacts. Why, all you have to do is ask FL. He is convinced that world champions have at least 20/15 vision and more likely 20/10 vision. With my laser vision my right eye is 20/13 and my right eye is 20/15, and believe me it made a shitload of difference.

You just can't fucking shoot they good of pool with 20/40 corrected vision, I don't care what anybody says. I am starting to agree with you VAP.

i was more looking at the fact that there is NO SUCH THING as -10/670 vision. its an out and out L I E.

and 20/200 is legally bling in ALL states not whatever he said.

i'm just pointing out the fact that snapshot should be called "snap full of shit".

VAP (agrees that you need good vision though)

Bucko

Registered
90 degree shot

vapoolplayer said:
grab a protractor.....

It is possible to shoot a 90 degree shot with a small amount of squirt and curve. It probably would not even be visually noticable during the shot.