Mike Sigel's GPPA Leagues

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if this got off the ground? Did he get enough teams to make this financially viable? Just curious

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Does anyone know if this got off the ground? Did he get enough teams to make this financially viable? Just curious

Mike was all over the country visiting poolrooms, on streams, FB, and a few of his friends were on here at least once a week for months. For almost a year the coming of the new league was somewhere that pool players could read about it or watch how it was played at a poolroom or on stream, just about every day somewhere. Now a month of silence just before it is due to start. Very bad sign IMO. Johnnyt.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the web site, there is a listing of league operators, many states don't have any. When Mike visited my area, there no-one showed up, partially because the room he went to (Jillians) did not advertize one bit for him coming there.

Unless you knock off one or more of the established leagues in the areas, there is just not enough time in the week for another league.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4665323&postcount=9

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If you look at the web site, there is a listing of league operators, many states don't have any. When Mike visited my area, there no-one showed up, partially because the room he went to (Jillians) did not advertize one bit for him coming there.

Unless you knock off one or more of the established leagues in the areas, there is just not enough time in the week for another league.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4665323&postcount=9

Thank you. Johnnyt

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Gppa

Back in March, the GPPA was running a special where they were waiving the annual membership fee ($25). So at that time I decided to sign up, even though there were no league operators in Illinois listed on their website.

About 2 weeks later, the IL league operator (apparently there was one!) sent me an email asking me for my t-shirt size for my free t-shirt and informing me that they were finalizing the logistics and that league would start on May 15th.

Last week, (although I hadn't received my free t-shirt) I was sent a follow up email asking me for the information of my teammates (which I don't actually have). The email also sent me the contact number for my local area manager.

So, things do seem to be moving, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
How many LP's they have doesn't really tell us if they have poolrooms signed up to play in or how many league members signed/paid up. I see Johnny A and one of his partners are the LO's for all of GA. I'm sure they're out working hard beating the bushes for rooms and members...NOT. Johnnyt

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I know there is supposed to be a league here in the Indy area, and I may be interested in it. Of course some more details about it would be good as well as I'd like to see it actually start and work before I joined in and gave them some money.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I heard the GPPA is charging $10K for league franchises. That's a lot of money for a person to invest in a new venture. The LO for Phoenix actually lives in Las Vegas, and she has no prior experience with pool. I have no idea how she's ever going to get anything rolling here, but I do wish her the best.

Roger

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Mortuary Mike and I met the Nevada League Operator while playing at
Diamond Billiards in Reno about a month ago. He really talked it up
and was very optimistic that it would be great for Pool and, especially,
the Average Player. We provided him with our contact info, he gave us
both a pack of Flyers for distribution to local players in our respective
areas, stated that Mike Sigel would be at Diamond the next Friday to
do an exhibition and answer questions about GPPA. Neither of us were
able to return for that session and neither has even been contacted
by the LO ?
I passed out Flyers in the greater Sacramento but was met with blank stares.

$12.00 per player per week apparently is more than most Average Players
will / can commit to a fledgling endeavour, regardless of the possible rewards.

Personally, I am onboard 100%, but will have to find enough players to form
enough teams to meet the requirements. Sadly, I don't see it happening
in my area of Northern California. The San Francisco Bay Area may be a
different story, so I will attempt to join a team down there (assuming any
come to fruition). I also have a home there and would make the 2.5 hr.
weekly drive if need be.

XmarathonX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm all for another league if it broadens the appeal & scope of the pool World here in North America. But I do have some reservations & questions about the GPPA. This is rule #9 from their website under GPPA Format.

9. Regardless of a player’s location, a player will compete with all league players throughout the United States and Canada.

Just how is this going to happen? A 16 week session requiring some pretty extensive travel. How is this for the "average" pool player?

Also, has anyone seen how a team qualifies for the playoffs?

Qualifying for the Playoffs

a. Each player on the team will play three racks of 8 Ball. According to their handicap, players will run the rack by themselves, picking solids or stripes, then the 8 ball.

b. Each solid or stripe will count as one point and the 8 ball will count as 3 points. Total potential points per game, ten.

How do they not expect some serious cheating going on here? I'd venture to guess about 90% of the score sheets handed in for qualifying will be falsified with a lot of perfect to near perfect scores.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mike was in Toronto today...I have a friend who is considering LO.
Mike's doing the work....I think he's got a good chance of making it work.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Makes me want to put a team together knowing that we could have a bye each week. I mean that we play you each week.

I know there is supposed to be a league here in the Indy area, and I may be interested in it. Of course some more details about it would be good as well as I'd like to see it actually start and work before I joined in and gave them some money.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I can't see why you'd want to cheat. Win 2 times you go up giving the other guy more ball in hands. It's more likely to see people lose a few games to get a good rank and just barely make the cut off point.

Someone came over to my house and we watched the videos explaining the league, and my scientific calculator broke when we started entering all the formulas that Mike was calling out. It went something like this.

" You'll be in a 16 team league, and there will be 3 league sessions per year, then the Vegas tournament where you can win $250,000" no word on if there is any other money besides the first place team.

"After each session, we take the top 10 teams from each league and they have a play off to get it down to the top 5 teams" pant............. "then we take the top 5 teams from each area and put them in a 75 team tournament. Out of that, we take the top 10 teams, and those teams will play in a regional qualifier with 75 other teams.

"From that we will give 10 spots to the end of year Vegas tournament"

I started adding up all the fees, and it made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjtbEg4HHZw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm all for another league if it broadens the appeal & scope of the pool World here in North America. But I do have some reservations & questions about the GPPA. This is rule #9 from their website under GPPA Format.

9. Regardless of a player’s location, a player will compete with all league players throughout the United States and Canada.

Just how is this going to happen? A 16 week session requiring some pretty extensive travel. How is this for the "average" pool player?

a. Each player on the team will play three racks of 8 Ball. According to their handicap, players will run the rack by themselves, picking solids or stripes, then the 8 ball.

b. Each solid or stripe will count as one point and the 8 ball will count as 3 points. Total potential points per game, ten.

How do they not expect some serious cheating going on here? I'd venture to guess about 90% of the score sheets handed in for qualifying will be falsified with a lot of perfect to near perfect scores.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If Mike gets the teams and pays the big amount at the end of the first year and sees that he can make a financial success of it, I predict the second year will take off really well for the league. Many people will sit out the first year taking a wait and see position.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Far as I can tell, you don't actually play anyone else, you play the ghost. I have no idea how it's possible to keep anyone from just making up scores without someone else there that you are competing against keeping you honest. I mean you got a team in LA and a team in Miami, they play in their home rooms with their friends and teammates watching. WOW Bill, great break and run (after we did not see you hang up a ball and move the cueball a little when you got hooked), next time I am over your house to see my neice I'll bring the beer! Frank, it's your turn, and don't forget we're going fishing this weekend at the beach house. What are the chances of both Frank and Bill getting break and run outs the same night! Nice shooting, we'll see you next week.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You do play someone else, hence the number of BIH you get or they get.

If I break dry and you get 2 BIH and don't get out, then I'm back at the table.

If I break and make a ball, and fail to get out, you get your BIH from there and I can still shoot.

The idea of 4,5, and 6 BIH tells you that you are playing someone who probably isn't going to get out with 1-7 on the table.

Far as I can tell, you don't actually play anyone else, you play the ghost. I have no idea how it's possible to keep anyone from just making up scores without someone else there that you are competing against keeping you honest. I mean you got a team in LA and a team in Miami, they play in their home rooms with their friends and teammates watching. WOW Bill, great break and run (after we did not see you hang up a ball and move the cueball a little when you got hooked), next time I am over your house to see my neice I'll bring the beer! Frank, it's your turn, and don't forget we're going fishing this weekend at the beach house. What are the chances of both Frank and Bill getting break and run outs the same night! Nice shooting, we'll see you next week.