Tapered Carbon Fiber Tubes

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably not

Ran across this company.. https://dragonplate.com/roll-wrapped-carbon-fiber-tapered-tubes.

I don't know for sure if these would work for cue shaft blanks but it sure looks like they can, and at around $30. Likely they could make you custom tubes with a pro taper.

Thought this might interest some of you.

Hard to say with the NC equipment these days but custom shapes for carbon fiber were ridiculously expensive in the past. A military R&D project to make a portable backpack air conditioning unit had a maximum weight of 22 pounds. Hard to meet that so I looked into a carbon fiber frame. Forty grand for the proto-type in '89 made from sections of straight tubing. with most of the curved shapes laid out the cost jumped to hundreds of thousands. The backpack frame alone could have been close to a million dollars.

If the straight taper would be right for european style shafts it might be interesting for those. My guess, fairly short runs of hundreds of pro taper shaft blanks are still impractical due to costs.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Their standard wall thicknesses seem to be 0.01 and 0.02 inches. That seems thin but I have no idea what carbon pool cues use. The diameters look about right. As Hu said, the taper may be an issue for some people.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are roll-wrapped.
The available shafts are layered uni/multi-directional fabric.
Much different characteristics.

Both types are mandril formed, and most can make a custom taper
if you can afford it.
A one-off would probably cost more than a complete shaft.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Those are roll-wrapped.
The available shafts are layered uni/multi-directional fabric.
Much different characteristics.

Both types are mandril formed, and most can make a custom taper
if you can afford it.
A one-off would probably cost more than a complete shaft.

Read this and it sounds like your description to the t....

Whats the difference?... Is it the " multi " directional?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,277

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes but their description says the layers are "oriented" in such a way for stiffness and axial strength etc....

I wouldnt doubt if it was the exact same thing.

I'm with you.

I don't think these cues are "rocket science"...I have one.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an old Predator patent, appears to be abandoned, whatever that means....

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080064515A1/en

In short, the wall thickness of the tube might be varying from thinner at the tip to thicker at the joint in these new carbon fiber shafts to 'facilitate a more efficient transfer of energy to the cue ball'.

Anybody want to cut their's open to confirm?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is not a patent, it was only a patent application. For whatever reason, Predator stopped pursuing the patent and it was never granted. (The number actually indicates that it was an application -- it includes the year of filing while the numbers on granted patents do not.)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
somebody will damage one

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080064515A1/en

In short, the wall thickness of the tube might be varying from thinner at the tip to thicker at the joint in these new carbon fiber shafts to 'facilitate a more efficient transfer of energy to the cue ball'.

Anybody want to cut their's open to confirm?

Somebody will damage one and we will see what is inside. The reason I never jumped on the spliced shaft bandwagon, the splices were well off center in some we did see the construction of after they were damaged. I bought a flat laminate blank or two on sale very cheap to test. Still using one of those blanks. It is a decent shaft, moves around a tiny bit but not bad. Total cost of shaft making it myself was about fifteen dollars including joint, ferrule, and tip.

Hu

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Somebody will damage one and we will see what is inside. The reason I never jumped on the spliced shaft bandwagon, the splices were well off center in some we did see the construction of after they were damaged. I bought a flat laminate blank or two on sale very cheap to test. Still using one of those blanks. It is a decent shaft, moves around a tiny bit but not bad. Total cost of shaft making it myself was about fifteen dollars including joint, ferrule, and tip.

Hu

They are tubes full of structural foam

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wall thickness

Most on the market have wall thickness of about 1 mm and filled with wood or foam.

Mine are hollow and have a wall thickness of 1.5 mm

USOpenPlayer

Registered
Non Revo shaft

Yes have dealt with them for awhile, cant get right taper for cues without 1000.00 die set up. Then you have to know how to fill it. Most don't come with a player friendly smooth as glass surface. Ive made quite a few for the guys that don't want the $500.00 Revo shaft....great sales pitch.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ran across this company.. https://dragonplate.com/roll-wrapped-carbon-fiber-tapered-tubes.

I don't know for sure if these would work for cue shaft blanks but it sure looks like they can, and at around $30. Likely they could make you custom tubes with a pro taper.

Thought this might interest some of you.

Here's a few shafts I have made using CF tubes. What to fill them with and also how to finish the outside is the key factor.The taper isn't as long (skinny) as the Cuetec or Revo but very playable.

First picture my CF shaft is on the left side and a revo is on the right (outside finish is identical).

Second picture a break shaft and 2 playing shafts one 29 and one 30 inch, break shaft 30 inch

oag4KlL.jpg

5Oyu6vP.jpg

Last edited:

edwind

Just bought the pool carbon fiber tube. Does anybody here know what material is best to fill the tube?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Just bought the pool carbon fiber tube. Does anybody here know what material is best to fill the tube?

Non-expanding foam?
Low-expanding foam?

My question is......
How do get the foam on the lathe to turn it down so you can slide it into the CF Tube?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Buying a random tapered tube that was not specifically engineered to be a pool cue shaft and trying to home brew it into one is not a high percentage proposition.

Carbon fiber is an ingredient in a composite material, not a defined substance like 316 stainless steel or nylon 66 plastic. Just like a "fiberglass boat" is really a plastic boat with fiberglass reinforcement in the plastic/resin...a "carbon fiber shaft" is a plastic tube reinforced with carbon fiber. In most cases it is filled and/or built around a non-structural form. What's important is what form and content percentage the carbon fiber amounts to. Is it long strands, woven mesh, chopped short strands, how wide are the ribbons, how many layers?...and on.

The other challenge is getting the joint and ferrule attached in a way that gives it the right feel and durability. If you think you can get this right the first time using a shaft of unknown composition ....well, I admire your optimism.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Non-expanding foam?
Low-expanding foam?

My question is......
How do get the foam on the lathe to turn it down so you can slide it into the CF Tube?
Its probably injected in a semi-liquid state and then expands and hardens. You don't turn it.