14.1 Safety Play Lesson - Thanks SJM!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
In case anyone cares, here is an outline of the subjects I saw fit to discuss with Dan. I've rarely seen anything in print that covered anything but Part I of my outline.
Stu, that looks like a book index! Did you ever consider putting this on print? Or make an instructional video?
I know I'm selfish there, I would like to take a lesson yet I don't have such an opportunity to visit you, at least as soon as I want that. So for me, like other Europeans, distant education is the only means of perceiving knowledge.
I see you desire to spread it around and ask your students to do the same. So either a book or a video lesson could serve this task better than anything! You don't have to bother about fancy covers or high definition production with final cuts, any of both ways mentioned can be implemented at low cost, yet providing great material. I suppose a video is easier to make because for a book you need to create diagrams and do a lot of typing :) Narrating and showing is less energy consuming. Videos made by Freddy Bentivegna, Blackjack or Mike Grosso are fine examples of how instructional videos can be done, different ways and approaches but same great result.
Please consider.
Mike.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sjm, your list of topics look amazing. Count me in for a lesson one day when I am in NY in the next year or two. Very interesting topics. I am sure that I can learn from you.
As the saying goes: "You are never too old to learn something new".

Just PM me in advance and we'll set something up.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, that looks like a book index! Did you ever consider putting this on print? Or make an instructional video?
I know I'm selfish there, I would like to take a lesson yet I don't have such an opportunity to visit you, at least as soon as I want that. So for me, like other Europeans, distant education is the only means of perceiving knowledge.
I see you desire to spread it around and ask your students to do the same. So either a book or a video lesson could serve this task better than anything! You don't have to bother about fancy covers or high definition production with final cuts, any of both ways mentioned can be implemented at low cost, yet providing great material. I suppose a video is easier to make because for a book you need to create diagrams and do a lot of typing :) Narrating and showing is less energy consuming. Videos made by Freddy Bentivegna, Blackjack or Mike Grosso are fine examples of how instructional videos can be done, different ways and approaches but same great result.
Please consider.
Mike.

Mike, I realize in full that I am capable of writing a book on this subject, but cannot convince myself that enough people are interested in 14.1 safety play to make it a worthwhile pursuit. For now, I'm just offering the few who show an interest in the subject a free lesson provided that the lesson take place at Amsterdam in NYC.

I am not willing to do an instructional video, Mike, but if my perception of how many are interested in this subject matter changes, I might consider putting what I know in writing.

For now, I'll just be generous in sharing my tactical knowledge of 14.1 and hope that those I insturct will help to revive interest in the subject.

Will Maynard

Registered
Mike, I realize in full that I am capable of writing a book on this subject, but cannot convince myself that enough people are interested in 14.1 safety play to make it a worthwhile pursuit. For now, I'm just offering the few who show an interest in the subject a free lesson provided that the lesson take place at Amsterdam in NYC.

I am not willing to do an instructional video, Mike, but if my perception of how many are interested in this subject matter changes, I might consider putting what I know in writing.

For now, I'll just be generous in sharing my tactical knowledge of 14.1 and hope that those I insturct will help to revive interest in the subject.

Question to Stu Mattana - I read a post from you on 8/9/2011 which showed an outline of 14.1 safety play strategy. Is this knowledge on safety play strategy available in print or any other form?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question to Stu Mattana - I read a post from you on 8/9/2011 which showed an outline of 14.1 safety play strategy. Is this knowledge on safety play strategy available in print or any other form?

Thanks

I'll answer for Stu... nope.

Well, this thread is 5 years old, so maybe there is something by now, although I haven't heard of it. It is possible I took some notes after I got home from my lesson with Stu. I don't imagine Stu would care if I posted my notes here (if, in fact, they exist...I'll have to check).

I do recall that I was a bit lost early on because I gave Stu the impression I knew more about safety play than I did. Yes, I could play safeties, but I had no real plan and didn't know Stu's terminology. I had no idea what a "third ball" safety was, so I was a little lost to begin with. Stu must've thought I was going to be a remedial student! I picked it up eventually and learned lots of good things.

Thanks again, Stu!

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well - sign me up as being interested ha - I didnt even play pool when this thread was started - but Ive said it a few times on here, here goes again:

In trying to learn this awesome game (14.1), info on safety play and developing balls is literally impossible to find info on, apart from some of the most basic aspects.

I understand everyone want to learn how to do big runs, but for most of our speeds, learning some great safety play would win us more matches and get our ball control much tighter overall

I'd be totally into buying a copy of this stuff, even in PDF format!

Cheers

Will Maynard

Registered

Well, this thread is 5 years old, so maybe there is something by now, although I haven't heard of it. It is possible I took some notes after I got home from my lesson with Stu. I don't imagine Stu would care if I posted my notes here (if, in fact, they exist...I'll have to check).

I do recall that I was a bit lost early on because I gave Stu the impression I knew more about safety play than I did. Yes, I could play safeties, but I had no real plan and didn't know Stu's terminology. I had no idea what a "third ball" safety was, so I was a little lost to begin with. Stu must've thought I was going to be a remedial student! I picked it up eventually and learned lots of good things.

Thanks again, Stu!

Thanks for your feedback, Dan. If you can find your notes I am very interested. Safety play is key in this great game and I just can't find enough in-depth instruction on it. There is a 24 page safety-play section in "Play Your Best Straight Pool" by Phil Capelle which is quite good, but it seems that there is more to learn that Stu covered based on your prior post. btw, Phil Capelle's "Play Your Best Straight Pool" is a great book.

Thanks again, Dan

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . I am hoping to revive interest in the subject of 14.1 tactical play, a part of the game rarely considered in either print or on AZB.

If I can get you and others excited about this part of the game, I will derive a sense of accomplishment from it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Judging from Stu's outline for his extremely commendable discussions (and sharing) of his thorough knowledge of so many time-tested nuances of 14.1, I think it would be marvelous if any one of the several regulars on this Straight Pool forum take the moderately simple effort (with Stu's permission) of camcording your future meeting with him as he demonstrates for you the safety techniques (and the sound reasons behind their use). (Having been in love with, and playing 14.1 for 64 years I totally agree with him that tactical 14.1 safety play has been under-discussed for far too many years.)

DVDs of the recording, edited for smooth flow, would greatly serve all the wonderful goals Stu has sincerely stated in the above excerpts -- which precisely echo all the reasons we all share about keeping our beloved Straight Pool alive, thriving, and continually interesting new players for all the benefits it holds for elevating any students and serious players' overall game. Copies of the DVDs need have no monetization aspect whatsoever beyond a token covering of the miniscule cost of the disc themselves. Heck, if the ensuing recording were simply uploaded to either an Unlisted or Private Youtube account, there needn't be any discs involved at all. Anyone on the forum could simply download Stu's valuable discussion to continue to learn from, and share with other likeminded 14.1 fans.

Open for discussion. What do other forum members think about this suggestion, and most important, Stu, how do you feel about this? Via such a recording you'd be hugely helping all serious fans and players, here and abroad who visit and post to this 14.1 forum and would also be providing a unique Safety Play information-base (a virtual textbook) for the many of us who regularly freely and voluntarily teach (and spread the word) about our game to all interested students in our local areas. I've been doing exactly that to new generations for many years and would love to -- by example -- relay your kind of deep knowledge about the Tactical Play in 14.1.

Arnaldo

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks again, Stu!

Can you briefly explain a third ball safety?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Will Maynard: sorry, I don't seem to have taken detailed notes after I got home. Odd, because I usually do. I still have Stu's outline filed somewhere, probably, so maybe I made some notes in the margins.

@Cookie Man: Long time no see!

Since this thread is 5 years old I made a new one titled, "3rd Ball Safeties." Take a look.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Will Maynard: sorry, I don't seem to have taken detailed notes after I got home. Odd, because I usually do. I still have Stu's outline filed somewhere, probably, so maybe I made some notes in the margins.

Since this thread is 5 years old I made a new one titled, "3rd Ball Safeties." Take a look.

I did. Thank You

Will Maynard

Registered

Thanks very much for trying to find the notes.

Will Maynard

Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Judging from Stu's outline for his extremely commendable discussions (and sharing) of his thorough knowledge of so many time-tested nuances of 14.1, I think it would be marvelous if any one of the several regulars on this Straight Pool forum take the moderately simple effort (with Stu's permission) of camcording your future meeting with him as he demonstrates for you the safety techniques (and the sound reasons behind their use). (Having been in love with, and playing 14.1 for 64 years I totally agree with him that tactical 14.1 safety play has been under-discussed for far too many years.)

DVDs of the recording, edited for smooth flow, would greatly serve all the wonderful goals Stu has sincerely stated in the above excerpts -- which precisely echo all the reasons we all share about keeping our beloved Straight Pool alive, thriving, and continually interesting new players for all the benefits it holds for elevating any students and serious players' overall game. Copies of the DVDs need have no monetization aspect whatsoever beyond a token covering of the miniscule cost of the disc themselves. Heck, if the ensuing recording were simply uploaded to either an Unlisted or Private Youtube account, there needn't be any discs involved at all. Anyone on the forum could simply download Stu's valuable discussion to continue to learn from, and share with other likeminded 14.1 fans.

Open for discussion. What do other forum members think about this suggestion, and most important, Stu, how do you feel about this? Via such a recording you'd be hugely helping all serious fans and players, here and abroad who visit and post to this 14.1 forum and would also be providing a unique Safety Play information-base (a virtual textbook) for the many of us who regularly freely and voluntarily teach (and spread the word) about our game to all interested students in our local areas. I've been doing exactly that to new generations for many years and would love to -- by example -- relay your kind of deep knowledge about the Tactical Play in 14.1.

Arnaldo

A great idea! Easy for me to say.

Your thoughts and suggestions for sharing this knowledge is very much like an ever-increasing trend for sharing in other arenas. E.g., maker space/electronic designs (open source).

I'd like to recommend that we start sharing more individual safety ideas on this forum, even if it's just our thoughts in words about a particular type of safety. Or share a diagram of a certain safety and open it up for discussion. Dan White's "3rd Ball Safety" topic is a good example the value of ensuing discussion. The total sum of shared ideas could begin to amount to a complete study of the subject.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to recommend that we start sharing more individual safety ideas on this forum, even if it's just our thoughts in words about a particular type of safety. Or share a diagram of a certain safety and open it up for discussion. Dan White's "3rd Ball Safety" topic is a good example the value of ensuing discussion. The total sum of shared ideas could begin to amount to a complete study of the subject.

Thoughts?

I also think more safety discussion would be great. Stu, Bob J., others have tons of knowledge. Of course there have been quite a few discussions on safety play in the past. You can do a forum search for safety play. I did one and found a few threads. Some are just general discussion: (Unfortunately, CueTable no longer exists so some of the images no longer work. However, if you find Stu and Bob's posts you will often learn something even without the diagram). Also, it seems some years have passed since learning this stuff and I forgot that Stu's terminology is a "2nd ball safety" not a "3rd ball safety" as I've been calling it when playing into the side of the rack.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=261115&highlight=safety+play

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=261173&highlight=safety+play

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=185586&highlight=safety+play&page=2

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=244280

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=331743&highlight=safety+play

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=266471&highlight=safety+play

Last edited: