Snooker with a 10-second shot clock

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is a real ranking event. The winner gets about $40,000. Matches are limited to 10 minutes and the shot clock begins at 15 seconds and drops to 10 seconds for the last five minutes of the match.

Still, some pretty good play in these rounds including a break of 130+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMcWWTdot90

This session begins with everyone's favorite snooker speed demon, Peter Ebdon.;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Walden played marvelous....worth watching.
Carty is the Earl of snooker....shoots out of his right eye...I guess I don’t understand
corrective lenses...shouldn’t it make him more centered?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great fun to watch. Snooker has it right. this is fun. No shot clocks needed in the big ones but they are great in the fun ones and they improve everybody’s game and thinking.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's gotta be like Chinese water-torture to the snail Ebdon. If pool did this Earl might be the favorite every time. Fun to watch.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didn't like it at first, but now i think it has its place in the pro tour. it adds variety and promotes new players

the crowd tends to get rowdier with the hours, so getting a late scheduled match can be a disadvantage

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This must have been tough to swallow for the brit traditionalists. Like when cricket introduced a one day match instead of just the 5 day tests that could still end in a draw. Lots of angst, but it did bring in an accepted alternative and thus new viewers.
I dont followt chess but i think they have short clock races so maybe do the same for one pocket. Sacrilege!?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the final. The winner gets $42,000 and the loser $21,000. They each played for slightly over an hour total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLw7HA3_OPA
In the previous match Un-nooh had a 139 total clearance. He plays fast enough that the shot clock is not an issue for him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well deserved win for the thai. i bet that semi final century was one of the fastest in history. tony drago still holds that record i think

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here is the final. The winner gets $42,000 and the loser $21,000. They each played for slightly over an hour total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLw7HA3_OPA
In the previous match Un-nooh had a 139 total clearance. He plays fast enough that the shot clock is not an issue for him.

What a nice player this Un-Nooh is....like Drago, he’s fast but seems unhurried...
...more like watching a graceful dancer.
And he’s got what Efren has...modest and self-depreciating...crowds love him.
...I’d love to see him win a World title.

:confused:
There might be other games...but the only billiard game I have played ( I think) where
the break is considered a disadvantage is straight pool....so I find it unusual that
Holt won the lag.....and had Un-Nooh break....what the hell?...:scratchhead:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... :confused:
There might be other games...but the only billiard game I have played ( I think) where
the break is considered a disadvantage is straight pool....so I find it unusual that
Holt won the lag.....and had Un-Nooh break....what the hell?...:scratchhead:
I would say about half of the winners of the lag in this event had their opponents break. Traditionally the break is considered an advantage, but maybe long potting has progressed to the point that it is really not an advantage. And a lot of players these days either have poor speed control on the break or they are trying to freeze white on green.:wink:

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
In the USA, we have a variety of games played on the 9 foot table. And the rules
for these games are not set in stone.

In England, on the 12 foot table, is snooker the only game, or are there variations
of snooker?

Do they tweak the rules, or has snooker rules been unchanged for 100 years?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the USA, we have a variety of games played on the 9 foot table. And the rules
for these games are not set in stone.

In England, on the 12 foot table, is snooker the only game, or are there variations
of snooker?

Do they tweak the rules, or has snooker rules been unchanged for 100 years?

The main body of snooker rules have been maintained over many yrars. But there have been ocassional changes. which clarified existing rules. Among those are foul shots involving free balls where the cue ball (and sometimes other balls) are restored to former positions after a miss.

The shoot out tournament has however broken with tradition and have lifted several rules straight from 9 ball. They lag for the break instead of tossing s coin and they have embraced the balls being requied to hit rails after contact.

This form of snooker could eventually herald the death of pool games.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
T ... and they have embraced the balls being required to hit rails after contact. ...
Actually, they have adopted the golf rule where a ball has to contact a cushion some time during the shot. There were many soft kicks to the side of the rack.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say about half of the winners of the lag in this event had their opponents break. Traditionally the break is considered an advantage, but maybe long potting has progressed to the point that it is really not an advantage. And a lot of players these days either have poor speed control on the break or they are trying to freeze white on green.:wink:

In some of the interviews early on, some of the players commented how hard it was on this table to not leave a red off the break, so I think that was why.