Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Worst instructional video of all time
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury View Post
https://youtu.be/xzb4YonBgqY

The first minute or two is just fine and then the wheels fall off. I made a comment that I thought it was the worst instructional video of all time and now I am getting some flak for that.

So what say you?

Is he actually teaching the correct shot to play in those situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't think the video was so bad until he got to kicking the balls in. He's just going over short Ts and long Ts safeties. When I got back into pool 3 years ago or so, I had to learn those and a bunch of other safety shots because when I played pool back in the 60's & early 70's, that play was considered "dirty pool". On a 9' table, I think the safeties are valid, on a 7' table, not so much. A man's got to know his limitations and if he didn't think he could make the shot, he's correct in playing the best safety he can. Just my two cents.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#17)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
06-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_MD View Post
Oh the irony. That "Expert Village" channel seems to full of idiots, at least when it comes to pool instruction. Most of their pool related stuff I have seen is awful.

Old
  (#18)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 07:47 AM

actually this was a great video. aimed at newer players who almost never play safes and just shoot and sell out and lose the game most times. this gets them to think about speed control and where to leave shots. and except for good players these safes are the right shots for many of those spots you are left in.

of course they dont work against champions but if playing a champion you arent going to win anyway.

Old
  (#19)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha View Post
actually this was a great video. aimed at newer players who almost never play safes and just shoot and sell out and lose the game most times. this gets them to think about speed control and where to leave shots. and except for good players these safes are the right shots for many of those spots you are left in.

of course they dont work against champions but if playing a champion you arent going to win anyway.
Exactly! I agree. And, If someone knows a better safety with one OB left on the table, than he plays in the first part of the video, I'd like to see it. His speed control was off a bit but if he had put both balls on the rail, they would have been perfection. Then, if the opponent can make the bank or super thin cuts down the rail, he deserves the win. Most likely though, he'll rattle it and leave ball in jaws.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#20)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-15-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwhit View Post
Exactly! I agree. And, If someone knows a better safety with one OB left on the table, than he plays in the first part of the video, I'd like to see it. His speed control was off a bit but if he had put both balls on the rail, they would have been perfection. Then, if the opponent can make the bank or super thin cuts down the rail, he deserves the win. Most likely though, he'll rattle it and leave ball in jaws.
But the last one of the "leave them on opposite sides" group at the start that he called the best was actually the worst because it left an easy bank that would automatically leave the cue ball on the end real for a return safe.

It is good to know safes, but this video is not the one to learn them from.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
But the last one of the "leave them on opposite sides" group at the start that he called the best was actually the worst because it left an easy bank that would automatically leave the cue ball on the end real for a return safe.

It is good to know safes, but this video is not the one to learn them from.
Agree, the last safety looked like a super easy bank into the side pocket. But still, that shot is harder for the opponent than what he would leave after an attempt at a very thin cut or bank that he was not comfortable with. Those attempts and misses almost always rattle and leave BIJ. I say; if you don't walk up and think to one's self; "I've got this shot", any doubt at all....it's best to play safe.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#22)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

06-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I say; if you don't walk up and think to one's self; "I've got this shot", any doubt at all....it's best to play safe.
All I shoot would be safes then...

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#23)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 08:43 AM

I put this in the comment section on YouTube...

Name:  IMG_3833.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  57.7 KB

If you teach a beginner to play safe...he may never find out how many shots he can make.
Accuracy should be stressed.....not conservative shots.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#24)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I put this in the comment section on YouTube...

If you teach a beginner to play safe...he may never find out how many shots he can make.
Accuracy should be stressed.....not conservative shots.
Probably a true statement in as far as it goes, but it's kinda fun to see the opponent get up out of the chair with the look on his face that once again he's got NO SHOT! And if he isn't skilled at getting a safety from a safety, he loses. Pool is not about going for broke, it's about winning each game.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#25)
Lesh
One Hole Thinkifier
Lesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
All I shoot would be safes then...
I hardly think so.
You strike me as someone that plays balls-out and talks all the while

People need to come see me in Largo, FL for some One Pocket and Straight Pool.

Lesh

Room: The Corner Pocket - Largo, Florida (TABLE #2)
Playing Cue: Rack Runner Fancy Sneaky Pete by Mike Smith

Other Cues:
Yingling - Piloted 3/8x10 Merry Widow w/ 13mm shaft
McDermott D19 (1st Cue bought 1991)
Adam Cues "Julio Stamboulini" circa Mid-80's

One Pocket is the Teacher
"Play the Game, son." - Box
"Life is 100% mental." - Lesh
"Fortunately, I keeps my feathers numbered for just such an emergency." - Foghorn

Old
  (#26)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Probably a true statement in as far as it goes, but it's kinda fun to see the opponent get up out of the chair with the look on his face that once again he's got NO SHOT! And if he isn't skilled at getting a safety from a safety, he loses. Pool is not about going for broke, it's about winning each game.
So many safeties I see aren't winning shots...they're just delaying the loss.
...if you can't trap him, go for it.

Those losing safeties...I call them..."Don't take my watch now, take it later."

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury View Post
https://youtu.be/xzb4YonBgqY

The first minute or two is just fine and then the wheels fall off. I made a comment that I thought it was the worst instructional video of all time and now I am getting some flak for that.

So what say you?

Is he actually teaching the correct shot to play in those situations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not the worst instructional, but he's not doing the intemediate players the good that he thinks. Players looking to improve will lose more games than winning with much of his approach. We get where he's going, but I think his overall message might be misguided.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#28)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
So many safeties I see aren't winning shots...they're just delaying the loss.
...if you can't trap him, go for it.

Those losing safeties...I call them..."Don't take my watch now, take it later."
Mind you now I'm not playing the pros (all the time), but I love to see my opponent attempt to bank the ball frozen on the end rail and the CB almost frozen on the opposite end rail. I'll let him shoot that shot every day. Even the pro I do play weekly has trouble making that shot. Just opinion coming from a B player, take it for what's it's worth.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#29)
pt109
WO double hemlock

06-15-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Mind you now I'm not playing the pros (all the time), but I love to see my opponent attempt to bank the ball frozen on the end rail and the CB almost frozen on the opposite end rail. I'll let him shoot that shot every day. Even the pro I do play weekly has trouble making that shot. Just opinion coming from a B player, take it for what's it's worth.
I call those 'center center'....I got no complaint about playing those....
...it's a winning safety.

It's the weak safeties that I think are losing shots.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#30)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

06-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I call those 'center center'....I got no complaint about playing those....
...it's a winning safety.

It's the weak safeties that I think are losing shots.
It's true that the side rail T safeties are not that effective especially on a 7' table, unless I can get the CB about the 1st diamond and the OB on the 3rd. Then it's a certain double kiss for the bank to the cross side or he's got to go for the corner.

Member of NRA

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: